British Airways Concorde, Airfix 1:144

When I was about 5 or 6, I remember annoying my dad in the local toy store when I saw the Airfix Concorde kit for sale.

Eventually, he bought it for me, and I made such a meal of it!  I was really excited about doing the Landor livery (which is still my favourite), that I didn't have the patience to do the red stripe properly.

I ended up with an unpainted kit, with gaps all over the place, and only the front part of the red stripe in place.  But the Landor tail looked good!

I've already built the Revell 1:144 Concorde in Landor, but I always had this desire to do the Airfix build again - and do it correctly.

I know the Airfix kit is very simple, but after some of the other builds I've made, a simple kit makes a nice change!

I built this one right out of the box, using the Airfix decals, and no modifications or additions.

Opening up the box brought back all of those memories from when I saw the kit for the first time.  It was a very short build, so there's no WIP thread for it.

Seeing the Landor red stripe brought back the same feelings of dread too!

But I think I managed to do a decent job of it this time, almost 30 years later.

IMG_8102

IMG_8103

IMG_8104

IMG_8106

IMG_8100

IMG_8101

IMG_8105

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Hiw do those kits compare?

I was going to say the level of detail, but both have differences.  This is what I've discovered so far, (and what I can remember from each build):

• The Airfix moulding has raised panel lines, and the Revell one has recessed panel lines.
  • The Airfix moulding was very clean and crisp, and had zero flash.  The Revell moulding was riddled with flash.
  • The Airfix moulding has the nose moulded in the raised position.  The Revell one has a separate nose, but the flight deck windows are a single-piece flat section, which is incorrect if you build it with the nose lowered.
  • The Airfix version has holes for the cabin windows, but no transparent windows to fill them.  However, the holes are very small, so I'm sure you could do some Clearfixing if you wanted to fill them.  The Revell version has moulded recesses for the windows, which will need drilling, or filling and the application of decal windows (not supplied).
  • The Airfix version has the primary and secondary intake ramps, with a full-length splitter between the engine trunks.  The Revell version does not have intake ramps, and the splitter between the engine trunks is much too short.
  • The Airfix version does not have any fan disks.  The Revell version does, but you can see both of the fans at the same time when you look into the engine because there is no splitter to divide the engine trunks.
  • The Revell decals are much more complete, and include the no-walk markings and de-icing markings for the wings along with various warning signs and hatches.  There are no such markings for the Airfix version.
  • The Chatham livery on the Airfix version is not correct, in that it has no feathering on the tail, or Speedmarque ribbon.  The Speedmarque ribbon is too small.  The Revell version has the correct shading of the Chatham livery, and the correct size Speedmarque ribbon.
  • Neither kit has engine exhaust details (apart from the thrust reverser buckets) - the exhausts reveal the empty box of the engine nacelles.
  • Neither kit has mud guards for the nose and main landing gear, which the 1:72 version has.
  • Both kits look good when made!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your extensive reply!

Lookslike I need an Airfix one.... and probably use some spare Revell decals on it?

What about a pitot?

I think Master Models need to do a metal one!

10 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Thanks for your extensive reply!

Lookslike I need an Airfix one.... and probably use some spare Revell decals on it?

What about a pitot?

I think Master Models need to do a metal one!

Yer I'm sure you can use Revell decals on it - I've used the Airfix Chatham livery on the Revell version, for one that I made for a friend.

The Revell one has a pitot, but it's very thick and looks too long.

Here's my Revell build in Landor, next to the Heller 1:72 version:

IMG_2304

IMG_3674

You can see all the extra decals.

• Like 7

Well done! Nice build!

I think may be all modeling is, in a way, going back in time to those original experiences, a continuous displacement of the object of desire (psychoanalytically speaking).

All kits are, in a way, that first kit. The same way that all adults are, in some way, that kid.

We try to make it right this time. And the next time. And the next time...

It is fun, though.

• Like 3

That's a real nostalgia-jerker and not just for you. I remember having a similar experience of the same kit probably around the same age!

Looks excellent in this 'rebuild', continuing my own nostalgia for when said aircraft (and airline) were things to be proud of.

Alan (ex-BA, so I'm not just being flippant!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

That's a real nostalgia-jerker and not just for you. I remember having a similar experience of the same kit probably around the same age!

Looks excellent in this 'rebuild', continuing my own nostalgia for when said aircraft (and airline) were things to be proud of.

Alan (ex-BA, so I'm not just being flippant!)

I'm glad I was still able to find this kit on ebay so I could have another go at it, but I was expecting to have a problem with the decals for a kit of this age.

They handled beautifully though!  The box was still wrapped in cellophane, so I think that helped preserve the decals.

I bought the 1:72 version about 7 years ago, and the box had already been opened.  When I put the decals in the water, they instantly disintegrated...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Beautiful. I have the Revell one but no motivation to finish the build.... One side is decaled enough to be displayed so that doesn't help

You should crack on!  You're that close already!

• Like 1

Nice job on a great airplane! I've never tackled a Concorde, but I certainly do admire and respect those of you who have. Great attention to details, and really appreciate your answers in this thread regarding details and how-to's. Really like the back story and history behind your build; adds a tremendous amount of appreciation and shows your passion for the nostalgic roots from early on. :yes:

Moa says it really it well.....

8 hours ago, Moa said:

Well done! Nice build!

I think may be all modeling is, in a way, going back in time to those original experiences, a continuous displacement of the object of desire (psychoanalytically speaking).

All kits are, in a way, that first kit. The same way that all adults are, in some way, that kid.

We try to make it right this time. And the next time. And the next time...

It is fun, though.

Goodness gracious! You've nailed us ALL! Well said! :clap:

• Like 2

Speedbird 001 you're looking good there. Your comments also bring back my own memories of this kit but for me, when Airfix first released it in the 70's in their Negus colours. Like you say, opening the box brings back all the old memories. Its a lovely looking model and nice to see up against the Heller monster.

Tip top

42 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Speedbird 001 you're looking good there. Your comments also bring back my own memories of this kit but for me, when Airfix first released it in the 70's in their Negus colours. Like you say, opening the box brings back all the old memories. Its a lovely looking model and nice to see up against the Heller monster.

Tip top

Thanks a lot.

Here's the memory-jogger:

IMG_7891

The one up against the Heller monster is the Revell version.

Hi Neil,

Nearly missed this one! You certainly like Concorde don't you?! 

Nice job on this old kit, I too have memories of building this as a kid. I think I still have a few in the stash. For me the Airfix kit captures the wing slightly better as the Revell and Airfix/Heller 1/72 ones are, to my eye, too drooped at the wingtip.

So which Concorde are you building next?

Cheers,

Ian

Lovely build of a lovely bird.

Just succumbed to the temptation of the Revell 144th scale kit. Built and ready for primer, should be done sometime this month. I was supposed to be doing some other (commissioned) builds, but I needed a break from a lot of figures and there's nothing quite as cathartic as a smooth, sleek white speedbird! 🙂

Kev

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Neil,

Nearly missed this one! You certainly like Concorde don't you?! 

Nice job on this old kit, I too have memories of building this as a kid. I think I still have a few in the stash. For me the Airfix kit captures the wing slightly better as the Revell and Airfix/Heller 1/72 ones are, to my eye, too drooped at the wingtip.

So which Concorde are you building next?

Cheers,

Ian

I do!  But I have a load of other commercial airliners to make too - it just always seems there's another Concorde build going on!!

Having said that, I only have one more to make - the Airfix 1:72 in Landor, to go with my Heller Air France and Revell British Airways builds.

Then I will not have more space for any more 1:72 builds!  Unless I buy another house...

10 hours ago, modelman182 said:

there's nothing quite as cathartic as a smooth, sleek white speedbird! 🙂

I completely agree - I think that's why I end up doing another Concorde every once in a while!