***finished***Frogagawa Skyhawk

PhantomBigStu

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great to see this one joining the GB, I had forgotten all about it.

Look forward to seeing this one, good luck.

Cheers Pat 

Cheers, would be tempted to ask if the voodoo would be also be eligible if I still hadn’t  finished spraying the delta......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Cheers, would be tempted to ask if the voodoo would be also be eligible if I still hadn’t  finished spraying the delta......

I'm sure the voodoo is eligible as it was released in a frog box. If it's possible to do it, it would be great to see it join this GB.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'm sure the voodoo is eligible as it was released in a frog box. If it's possible to do it, it would be great to see it join this GB.

Cheers Pat 

I’ll give it a go, hopefully I’ll have an easier time spraying the silver than I have with the delta, which finally had its final coat of silver, once that has dried Ill paint the anti glare panel, engine exhaust, add the canopy and clearfix the windows, and of course update the topic

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I’ll give it a go, hopefully I’ll have an easier time spraying the silver than I have with the delta, which finally had its final coat of silver, once that has dried Ill paint the anti glare panel, engine exhaust, add the canopy and clearfix the windows, and of course update the topic

That's brilliant, I was worried @Rabbit Leader was getting too much time on his own builds and 2 timing us with another GB to keep the build list up to date.

He will be absolutely delighted with an additional build although he will do his best to hide his enthusiasm  ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve actually updated the list @JOCKNEY,  although will leave the commentary for a few more hours to collect all the latest news. This weekend’s got a few more hours left for you guys so no doubt someone will add a gallery entry or possibly yet another build! 

If my maths is correct, Stu’s Skyhawk takes us to 156 builds, one shy of tying with last year’s Airfix GB! 

Now a new subject like this Skyhawk will always get me excited, but the roof will be blown off if Stu decides to build an Royal Australian Navy Scooter! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

I’ve never seen that Voodoo artwork, looks nice. The Kiwi Scooter should be a treat as well. I know they’ve just arrived Stu, but more photos would be great when you get the chance. 

Cheers.. Dave 

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve never seen that Voodoo artwork, looks nice. The Kiwi Scooter should be a treat as well. I know they’ve just arrived Stu, but more photos would be great when you get the chance. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Will do, though with 3 builds needing decalling I’d better attend to that first 

• Like 1

I've never even seen the FROG boxing but I did build the Hasegawa kit back in the day.

My memory is that, like the MiG-21, it's a bit out of scale? I certainly remember it looking hefty compared to the much finer ESCI kits.

John

On 9/12/2019 at 2:18 PM, John said:

I've never even seen the FROG boxing but I did build the Hasegawa kit back in the day.

My memory is that, like the MiG-21, it's a bit out of scale? I certainly remember it looking hefty compared to the much finer ESCI kits.

John

Have to say it does look a bit large even accounting for the fact it’s a bit beefier than the A-4d, I’ll compare it to the Airfix tommorow when I’m back from football 

48732535367_f87a661c8d_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Woken up a few minutes earlier than needed to grabbed a quick photo, definitely over 1:72 scale as it’s not just the fuselage length that’s off, the wing is wider and longer 

48735773232_ce4f968f74_b.jpg

Not that drastic, more like 1/67 scale based on a by eye measurements with the ruler

• Like 2

One thing to bear in mind - the original Airfix kit was produced in 1957 just after the A4A as it was to later be called had entered service so I don't know how accurate it was - they have a record of rushing new aircraft into plastic based on inaccurate or "prototype only" measurements. It has been reissued several times but I am unsure if any changes have been made. The Haseqawa kit seems to be of one of the later marks which according to Detail and Scale had a slightly longer fuselage (about 2ft) but they say all Hasegawa single seaters (when the mag was written) were 1/4 " too long in 1/72. The wing span should however be the same on both.

Edited by PeterB

9 minutes ago, PeterB said:

One thing to bear in mind - the original Airfix kit was produced in 1957 just after the A4 A as it was to later be called had entered service so I don't know how accurate itr was. It has been reissued several times but I am unsure if any changes ahve been made. The Haseqawa kit seems to be of one of the later marks which according to Detail and Scale had a slightly longer fuselage (about 2ft) but they say all Hasegawa single seaters (when the mag was written) were 1/4 " too long in 1/72. The wing span should however be the same on both.

Indeed I did as it’s a) the 2012 Airfix tooling, and B I used the official length of the a-4e in my rough scale estimate 

• Like 2

I think it's reasonably proportionate, just a bit bigger than advertised. 

I have a Revell MiG-21F here which I can compare the FROG kit with when it arrives, but my memory of the Hasegawa boxing is that it's also fairly well proportioned, just too big. 

John