Aichi E13A1 Jake Floatplane--Japanese WWII

Here is my entry. The old Hasegawa E13A1 Jake. I am not sure which paint scheme or if

I will add after market parts. I may just scratch build cockpit parts. The kit is on it's way

and should be here September 5th.---John

4aPkm0B.png

• Like 7

I am unsure of the color. I just saw a WWII color photo of Jakes and Petes on a ship and they

looked dark green over either gray or silver? From the reading I have done the early Jakes

were painted silver? I am still looking at images and reading reference material. Check out the

image part way down the page on this site. It is 26th picture down from the top---John

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=14431&finish=15&start=15

• Like 1

Hi John!

Welcome to the GB! Nice to have another Japanese floatplane in the GB. Looking forward to seeing it started.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks, I just checked on it and the seller says it is due here September 3. I entered

the tracking numbers and USPS says status not available. I hope it beats the hurricane

here to Florida.---John

• Like 1

I just went to USPS tracking and the kit has made it from the Great Lakes of Wisconsin to

Chicago yesterday and is on it's way today from Chicago to Florida. No worries about the

hurricane for me as I live in western Florida, we might get some 15 mph winds with our

sunny 90 degrees days this week. The kit is due tomorrow!---John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The kit just arrived. It is sealed in a plastic inner bag but the decals are questionable. I was looking

at either dark green over gray or a light gray. I haven't figured if Aichi used the same colors as

Mitsubishi and Nakijima. Misubishi had a tannish like "gray" and Nakijima had that gray green that

Tamiya uses on their paint line. I need more research I guess. The cockpit is pathetic, I am going to

look around for a possible resin one or some type of add ons.---John

dzLeVYi.jpg

LW3SrZm.jpg

• Like 8

I decided to do a Pearl Harbor Jake from the cruiser IJN Tone. It is shown here in this

image from Wings Palette by artist Sidnei Eduardo Maneta as tail number JI-I in a gray

color. One model site said to use RLM-02 and j-aircraft said gray green which would be

Tamiya's concoction AS-29 IJN gray green spray. I will purchase Print Scales decals for the

E13A Type 0 Jake. I emailed Mike West at Lone Star Model to see if he does a resin set

for the Jake cockpit. No word back yet. I have the engine and seat parts painted.---John

giFOnuh.png

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Johnv said:

I emailed Mike West at Lone Star Model to see if he does a resin set

for the Jake cockpit. No word back yet.

I think I read recently that Mike is relocating his workshop, moving, & may be out of contact for a while .. 

Thanks, I know Mike did a resin cockpit for the old Nichimo 1/48 Jake but am unsure

if he did a 1/72 one. I won't wait much longer as I need to get moving on this. At worse

I can scratch a few details for the cockpit. I have the engine painted steel and the seats

green. Not much to see here. I have a can of Tamiya AS-29 IJN gray green from a previous

build with more than enough paint for this small project. I also drilled out the wing bottoms

for the wires that brace the struts on the floats.---John

Wrh4s6G.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks, I am not bothering with an extensive interior. This thing is tiny! I am going to paint the

instrument panel with a few dials and buttons and build a rudimentary radio panel for the radio

operator and maybe the boxes on top of the radio operators area under the canopy but that's

it. You can see nothing inside and when I add the thick canopy it will be distorted. I will concentrate

on the air frame and details that can be seen. I have the interior painted green, the seats in and the tail

puttied on one side. The tail was molded to the left fuselage half and it was a poor fit to the right side.

I ended up with a gap where the tail meets the right side fuselage.---John

hZUn13c.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks, waiting for the putty to cure. In the meantime I painted and assembled the engine.

Here is the fuselage and engine dwarfed by a small Humbrol paint tin.---John

6sUYIan.jpg

D25duKi.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, there is no interior to speak of. The kit gives you 3 seats and a instrument panel.

I added a radio panel with some dials painted on. I also plan add a few boxes to the shelf

above the radio operators seat. I am not scratch building an interior as it is way too small and

will never be seen through the distorted canopy. Learned long ago not to waste my time on

unseen details. I am now regretting not trying to find the Nichimo 1/48 Jake, but that needs

lots of work to make it presentable.---John

• Like 3

Hi John

Excellent progress and the engine looks to have come out really well.

I think you decision on the interior is the right one, focus on what you will see.

I look forward to the next instalment 

cheers Pat

Thanks, I weighted the forward area of the floats with poster putty and lead. My Rufe was done with just lead

but I thought I might go a bit "greener"this time. It worked out to about 9 to 10 grams in each float.--- John

DRPoPyo.jpg

L87Nvel.jpg

• Like 3

Thinking about a stand, no beaching cart with this beauty. I made one once for a 1/72 Jo-Han Rufe. I forgot

who fashioned it but I definitely like his idea, made from Evergreen card stock. It had a "V" cut in the two pieces

that accept the float for the approximate shape of the floats bottom.---John

7jInVqb.jpg

• Like 6