A6M2a Model 11 Saburo Sakai in China

One of my favorite WWII aces. I read his book Samurai. He was an excellent pilot

and very humane. I am doing his plane from late summer in 1941 China. I will use

the 1/48 Hasegawa kit with decals for tail number 3-116. Here is the start.---John

tHH0gqf.jpg

xX6TCqo.jpg

pmWHb4T.jpg

5Bfdq7M.jpg

• Like 7

I built the old Tamiya 1/48 Rufe many years ago. Make sure you add weight! I did it when

all the rage was SAC Bomber Tan for the color. It was a nice fun build. The Hasegawa kits

have better cockpits but I seem to prefer Tamiya for some reason.---John

Q7OXNJT.jpg

• Like 4

Fuselage all sanded up and wings on. I had a slight gap in the wing root so I spread the

fuselage with a spreader bar made from sprue. Then pulled each wing up one at a time

and taped then locked them in with Tamiya thin glue. I still have a slight gap on the left

forward root that requires a small bit of putty.---John

NBaTGM6.jpg

veV8xFm.jpg

WQtBzx3.jpg

HCDzU1l.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Johnv said:

I built the old Tamiya 1/48 Rufe many years ago. Make sure you add weight! I did it when

all the rage was SAC Bomber Tan for the color. It was a nice fun build. The Hasegawa kits

have better cockpits but I seem to prefer Tamiya for some reason.---John

Q7OXNJT.jpg

Nice model

15 minutes ago, Johnv said:

Fuselage all sanded up and wings on. I had a slight gap in the wing root so I spread the

fuselage with a spreader bar made from sprue. Then pulled each wing up one at a time

and taped then locked them in with Tamiya thin glue. I still have a slight gap on the left

forward root that requires a small bit of putty.---John

NBaTGM6.jpg

veV8xFm.jpg

WQtBzx3.jpg

HCDzU1l.jpg

Looks good, love WW2 Japanese subjects

It's all puttied up and sanded. I used super glue on the sides of the wheel well gaps. I have the

drop tank installed and fabric covered flying surfaces sprayed gray.---John

GD4Egwq.jpg

• Like 4

All painted up and test fit of canopy. The color will darken a bit when I do the varnish

overcoat which is what I want. I still have to paint and add the head rest then paint the

anti glare panel and canopy rails.---John

VXtE5SI.jpg

• Like 5