A new tool for my workbench

modelman182

Just arrived today :

spacer.png

Been contemplating getting something like this for quite a while, finally took the plunge a couple of weeks ago as a final push in building up my workshop ready for my retirement plan 🙂 

Bought through Amazon (made in China, of course) for less than £45. Neat and seems powerful enough for spinning wood and plastic, either to produce wheels, spinners, etc directly or to make masters for vacforming from wood. Looking forward to having a go with this over the next few weeks. Also gonna look into getting some small circular saw blades as the lathe comes with a saw table but no blades (go figure?). Chuck goes from 0.6mm to 6.5mm so can hold quite a few bits (the centered gripper shown above comes with the lathe). The end piece could do with some fresh lube as it squeaked a bit on first try, but that's a minor prob. PSU is switchable from 12V to 24V to vary the speed of the motor from 4000 to 7000 rpm.

To give an idea of scale - the blue cutting mat is an A4 one and the Swann Morton handle is a number 3 size.

Next arrival should be the variable speed motor for the bench stand and vice I bought a few weeks ago. Fun times ahead 😁

If you want any more info either post here or PM me.

Kev

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

How did it work out for you, any good?

I picked up the cheaper version (£10) of this yesterday. Consisting of an unbranded 555 5-12V motor, a chuck and a bracket. Screwed down to an old bit of MDF and wired up to my mini drill speed controller with banana plugs and croc clips.

So far so good, I’ve turned a few bits of plastic tubing to shape for my current project, and I’ll ‘wallace and gromit’ a few add-ons so I can add a sanding disc and a cutting wheel.

Not too bad for a tenner.

bvBpU4x.jpg

Mart

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in responding, I'd forgotten about this post. I've used the mini lathe a few times, but not for anything major in a project yet (mainly cos I'm working on a lot of stuff for others at present). Turned some nice detail on a pair of plastic stanchions for a ship base which I'll take photos of during this week.

I've added a set of mini circular blades but haven't tried that out yet... other than ensuring fitting is okay. May also add some polishing wheels at a later date (to help with canopy and car body polishing). 

For the price, I like the sturdiness and I'm hoping it'll be reliable. I doubt I'll get much chance to use it before Christmas and I may be returning to work in the New Year, so I shall have to put a note out for myself to remind me to try it out and report back.

Kev

• Like 2

On 10/6/2019 at 1:20 PM, LotusArenco said:

How did it work out for you, any good?

I picked up the cheaper version (£10) of this yesterday. Consisting of an unbranded 555 5-12V motor, a chuck and a bracket. Screwed down to an old bit of MDF and wired up to my mini drill speed controller with banana plugs and croc clips.

So far so good, I’ve turned a few bits of plastic tubing to shape for my current project, and I’ll ‘wallace and gromit’ a few add-ons so I can add a sanding disc and a cutting wheel.

Not too bad for a tenner.

bvBpU4x.jpg

Mart

Nice improvisation, Mart. Hmm... hadn't thought of adding sanding to mine. Another option I need to investigate. 🙂

Kev

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, LotusArenco said:

I picked up the cheaper version

A clamped drill that can do what you have . For short bits it will fine going by the photo of those the items you've turned out ,literally. They  look good .

And, as promised, here's a couple of pics of the stand stanchions I did using the mini lathe. Nothing complex, but it was an improvement on just a plain rod with a plain collar.

spacer.png

spacer.png

They're actually three pieces, a solid rod centre, with two tubes around it. I used the lathe and a small modelling chisel to bevel the top of the outer tube and then inscribe a line just below that.

Kev

• Like 2

Nice option, @dnl42, and great work on the barrel and spinner. The holder looks quite a contraption, but for occasional use it would be fine. Not sure if there are similar things available on this side of the pond, and at that price it could be quite costly sourcing one in the UK, I think I'd stick with the mini lathe for price and convenience - but, as they say, to each his own. 🙂

Cheers

Kev