1/350 Minicraft Academy Titanic

Sorry Chris only just seen your Q, I would say it’s possible but the fibre optic would be the challenge as it’s hard to hide in such a small place. The main tip I’d give if you are going to light it up is to plan 2 steps ahead so you don’t get light leaking through. I used Tulip black paint which worked VERY well. Good luck with the build!!!

• 5 months later...

Hi, I just had a couple questions about your technique. I’m about to start the same kit and was curious about some things you did.

The first being your decks. I know you said it was the same technique as the Revell one, but I couldn’t find that. Was it just a wash on top of the plastic, or did you paint it? Also, the bit of hull weathering, what did you do to get that white tone on the black hull? Last just wondering what PE kit you used!

Sorry for the trouble, I’m just wondering how you got such great results!

On 12/04/2021 at 13:55, Massimodels said:

Hi, I just had a couple questions about your technique. I’m about to start the same kit and was curious about some things you did.

The first being your decks. I know you said it was the same technique as the Revell one, but I couldn’t find that. Was it just a wash on top of the plastic, or did you paint it? Also, the bit of hull weathering, what did you do to get that white tone on the black hull? Last just wondering what PE kit you used!

Sorry for the trouble, I’m just wondering how you got such great results!

Hello sorry for the late reply, glad you liked the model, the decks were painted then sprayed with a gloss coat so the wash could go on then using a cotton bud and some thinner I just ran up and down the deck until I was happy. The white highlight on the hull was achieved simply by dry-brushing grey until it looked good. The PE was Gold Medal models, think it’s about 90 for the whole lot but it definitely makes the ship better I also used aftermarket masts. I think I remember putting all the info and bits on the work in progress if that helps. Patients is the key to this one lol. Have you the exact same one or a newer version, I had to scratch build the forecastle anchor as it wasn’t there.

On 13/04/2021 at 12:18, Stelangton said:

Hello sorry for the late reply, glad you liked the model, the decks were painted then sprayed with a gloss coat so the wash could go on then using a cotton bud and some thinner I just ran up and down the deck until I was happy. The white highlight on the hull was achieved simply by dry-brushing grey until it looked good. The PE was Gold Medal models, think it’s about 90 for the whole lot but it definitely makes the ship better I also used aftermarket masts. I think I remember putting all the info and bits on the work in progress if that helps. Patients is the key to this one lol. Have you the exact same one or a newer version, I had to scratch build the forecastle anchor as it wasn’t there.

Hi sorry for the even later reply, thanks for your response. I'll be sure to keep all that in mind, especially the weathering (still cant get over that effect!) 

I have the deluxe edition with the added PE brass railings, although I doubt I'll use them because I plan to get a proper PE set for the kit, the one it includes is pretty limited. Not sure if that is the same one as yours, but I did see some included anchors so I'm not sure. 

Also as a followup, what paint did you use for the deck? I used Tamiya's XF-76 for my 1/400, and it was a little darker than I liked. Yours seemed pretty nice, but maybe I'll just get a lighter colour that'll look just right after a wash.