1/350 Minicraft Academy Titanic

Hello all just another update on the build. I dont feel ive moved much considering the amount of time spent lol. The challenge really is blocking the light. I had to rip out the poop deck and re do as light was coming through where it shouldnt of been. Also the photo etch windows didnt fit exactly so i spent alot of time reading to make sure the right bits were going in the right places. The instuctions havnt been amazingly clear either to the point i scratch built the two cabins on the poop deck. I do feel like im moving forward now, i just need to remember patience!!

IMG_3843 IMG_3864

IMG_3873

IMG_3879

IMG_3880

IMG_3881

IMG_3882

IMG_3883

IMG_3884

Well thats it for now ill hopefully get a few more pieces done this week and fill a few more gaps lol so will keep you posted.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the build so far. At times I really think ive bitten off more than i can chew lol. Its so hard to stop light coming through even when you try and plan ahead. Ive added more F/O but have just realised the deck isnt properly alighned. I have said and have read before about this kit not being the easiest to work with but as long as its moving forward then thats a positive. Ive been putting in the window frames and even they dont seem the best fit but still look better than the plastic frames that come with the kit. Ive now moved the batterry pack outside the hull and now both strip LEDs and wired LEDs work from the same source.

IMG_3917

Ive also mounted the crane 'pods' after cutting off the crane. Hopefully this will allow me to easily attach them once the PE arms are done whilst moving forward with the lighting and the build itself. Still wondering how im going to attach the rigging but ill cross that bridge when it comes!! Just to mention any small light pockets are filled with mr surfacer 500, seems to do the trick.

Edited by Stelangton
  • Like 3

Hello Murdo, thanks for the comments, its a demanding but rewarding build. The fibre optics are powered by the leds using heat shrink however im discovering as long as the F/O is even close to the led, it still gives off light.

IMG_3781

Also, ive had to sand the bottom of the deck as it had 6 'mounts' that would of left gaps for light to escape.

IMG_3919

• Like 2

Hello all, just a few more updates. Thought I’d tackle the promenade deck as I’ve been really putting it off. I can honestly say this has been the most time consuming so far after the fore castle anchor (because I went the long way round as usual!). I had to cut all the plastic moulded frames out which took the time. I did try the Dremel with different tips but it was too risky so had to stick with trusty no 10A blade lol. When I had finally completed the cutting, I used a cocktail stick with a tiny piece of blue tack to pick up the PE frames which worked extremely well.

IMG_3921

IMG_3928 IMG_3935 IMG_3934

Some of the window openings were to large so i had to use styrene strip to make a decent fit.

IMG_3933 IMG_3931 IMG_3929

Im still practice fitting the deck in order to ensure no light leak, ive used some black card which seems to be helping but hopefully have it on today.

IMG_3926

• Like 8

Gidday, to quote a meme I've read recently, "I don't make the same mistake twice. I make it five or six times just to be sure!"

And if I'm not repeating mistakes it's probably because I'm too busy making new ones. 😁 Keep up the good work. 👍 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, after my school boy error of using to different whites im back on track. I had to CAREFULLY mask up everything that wasnt white in order to get all the whites white lol. I did try something new to mask up though, as you can imagine there are ALOT of thing sticking up out the deck. I had an idea and thought what about cling film, it clings to everything!! It worked and i would defo recommend it as a way of masking hard to reach areas.

IMG_3942

IMG_3944 IMG_3945 IMG_3947

Well that took nearly a whole day to sort out but i knew i had too or id always be looking at that one bit lol. As i said cling film saved the day!!

• Like 7

Got a fair bit done today and its starting to come together nicely (as long as it all lines up!!). The promanade deck was a bit of a pain and i think it may cause a few problems later but ill cross that bridge when it comes. had to close two window openings with styrene strip again but it was relatively straight forward.

IMG_3949 IMG_3951

Finally took all of the kitchen role off after making a bit of a work stand. Hopefully stop it from getting damaged.

IMG_3952

Had an accident putting the deck on and snapped a prop arm so will have to sort that another day. I did scream loud!

IMG_3953

IMG_3960

Well thats it for tonight, will start putting in more fibre optic tomorrow and place the LEDs. Think i may have to install a resistor as i think they are a bit bright. Any electronic gurus out there???

• Like 5

Hahaha The wife is not a happy bunny about the table but the garage is getting cold!! Bit more work yeaterday and today. Starting to get a bit complicated now as im running low on LEDs so i need to use them in the right way. Ive had to forward plan a fair bit as once the top deck goes on; its pretty much sealed and there is no turning back! Its starting to get a little cramped inside as well believe it or not!! It is coming on though and the lights do look quite good in the dark!!

IMG_3967

IMG_3969

IMG_3970 IMG_3973

IMG_3976

• Like 6

Gets better and better!

Those PE window frames look a bit of a nightmare but man, they look good!

I'm really intrigued by your fibre optics and have a particular use I'd like to put them to in an old sailing ship (USS America, the America's Cup yacht, not the warships). Can I ask what size (diameter) you're using there please? 

Thanks for the comments all, Murdo im using .25/.5/.75. the spot lights on the loading deck are .75 and the cranes are .5 and the deck lamps .25. There are some good vids about blooming the end to make it into a lens, however this goes against uniformity unless you get exactly the right angle. Be careful with hot glue as well as they do melt easily and there are 2 types, end glow and all glow. Ive been using end glow.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/component-shop?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Had a bit of a mare but maybe im getting wiser lol. Because ive put a layer of black card inder the deck to stop light coming through, the top deck is about a mm to high. I found this last night and it made me go to bed lol. This morning i thought what about styrene strips, ill just highten the walls and glue them to best fit. Well, very happy with the result and it probably wouldnt be noticed i just need to sort the bridge out which i think i can do.

IMG_3984

See the top deck

IMG_3985

With the strip! Started to mass produce some steps as well, id defo recommend a Hold and Fold, excellent piece of kit for straight bends.

IMG_3986

IMG_3978 IMG_3987

I did mess up on the lighting though, ive left no led under the 3rd funnel so going to struggle for deck lighting. Unless i have another brain wave lol. Done sun lounger as well lol. The ants will be happy!!

IMG_3989

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Stelangton said:

Thanks for the comments all, Murdo im using .25/.5/.75. the spot lights on the loading deck are .75 and the cranes are .5 and the deck lamps .25. There are some good vids about blooming the end to make it into a lens, however this goes against uniformity unless you get exactly the right angle. Be careful with hot glue as well as they do melt easily and there are 2 types, end glow and all glow. Ive been using end glow.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/component-shop?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Thanks mate, your help is much appreciated!

Little bit more progress although it does feel slow. If you’re going to build this model put half of the time down to cutting out window frames lol. I have started on some of the PE benches now as well ,which have been a challenge. I stole 'Art's' idea of creating a jig to keep the benches as uniform as possible. It did work and i would defo recommend spending the time on making one.

IMG_3997

I used one of the box benches but had to trim the sides down.

IMG_3999

IMG_4018

I started to tack the bridge as it to needed modifying because everything has been raised. I used styrene strips again which seem to be saving this build every time!!

IMG_4015

Now onto the officers quarters!!

IMG_4016

Edited by Stelangton
  • Like 3