1/350 Minicraft Academy Titanic

Hello all, After my last Titanic (Revell 1/400) i said i wouldnt build another ship but i managed to get hold of a 1/350 with pretty much every PE kit available for £90! So as before i will try and document the build with as much detail as possible using the methods i learnt from the last build and hopefully learning some new ones. I am looking to light this one with a mix of LEDs and F/Optics, again this will be a first for me but we all need to start somewhere?!

IMG_3416

It looks ALOT bigger than 1/400 and the detail is very good with the rivets etc. The only thing im not happy with is the absence of the bow anchor so ill have a go at some scratch building lol oh and drilling all the port holes out for the lights which im not looking forward to.

IMG_3434

IMG_3435 IMG_3678

Well the anchor well is taking shape and the drilling is almost complete but still along way to go. Ive cleaned all parts in a sink with washing up liquid just to de grease the plastic then sprayed Tamiya undercoat. I wanted to try something new to achieve the 'yellow' band by spraying that first then masking it with 1mm tape. It wasnt easy to get a seal with the rivets but ill make sure i airbrush at an angle to avoid any over spray.

IMG_3737

It worked quite well, with this model its slightly inaccurrate and to achive the yellow band, i had to slightly drop the angle on the front so it lined up with the rest of the ship. The hull is Vallejo model air black and the red is a mixture of red and hull red mixed 3:2 drops. Gloss coat over the top to seal and the applied the decals with micro set and sol. I cut the longer decals into two for easier application. I also used the same method as on the revell to paint the decks. I was going to do a 'clean' model but i prefare a bit of weathering.

IMG_3739 IMG_3738 IMG_3741 IMG_3742 IMG_3744 IMG_3745 IMG_3747 IMG_3748

Well thats it for now but as you can see some of the electrics have arrived so will up date soon!!

Edited by Stelangton
  • Like 10

Gidday, You're not wasting any time, are you? It's coming along very nicely, and quickly. If you're going to put lights in this don't let Steve Bandsaw find out! (It's a long story). 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

Great start there.

I had started the same build way back in 2008  with the intention of lighting her up etc

For whatever reason this build got shuffled down the 'to-do' pile and eventually yesterday I blew the dust off the box and it's now on the bench.  This was prompted by ordering the Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic yesterday and as I have a while to wait for its arrival I thought the Minicraft kit could be made into a wreck model to sit under the Trumpy kit.  So much scratchbuilding ahead and I recently got hold of a 3d resin printer

spacer.png

So when I get a usable 3d file I can print of the anchor I can send one to you.  I'm drawing the boilers and engine for me to print and use on the wreck model, but still getting my head around the software right now!🤨

Cheers

Doc

• Like 1

Doc that would be a really big help! I did order a pe anchor but it looks to small to me. I’ve also just made the anchor well shallow as it was too deep. Stewart the deck was sprayed with AK deck and the after a coat on of Klear I brush painted ak dark brown enamel wash. Let it dry for an hour then used a cotton bud (many) to take off the enamel. Just make sure you take it off in the direction of the planks. It works well 

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:12, Stelangton said:

Anyone know where to get 1/350 resin anchor for the front in the UK? cant seem to find one??

NorthStar Models do some nice ones: https://northstarmodels.com/product/1350-stockless-anchor-hall-5-sizes-x-10-pcs-total-50pcs-resin-parts/.  €15 for 50 in 5 different sizes, one of which I'm sure will be the right size for Titanic. 

4 hours ago, Stelangton said:

Thanks Chewy, I’m on a bit of a budget with this one so going to see if I can build one or hold out for Doc and his 3D printer lol

Got a batch printed that I'm happy with now.

spacer.png

PM your address mate.

Doc

• Like 2

Doc, Thank you so much for the anchor,it arrived today and its a perfect fit!! ive also redone the anchor well as it was far to deep. Also put an LED light strip in the hull and im now facing the challenge of 'light blocking'. I dare not glue the deck down at the moment as once its sealed its sealed.

IMG_3774

Edited by Stelangton
  • Like 3

Hello all, just a quick update on the scratch-build anchor well and my attempt at fibre optics so far!! Had to rebuild the anchor well as it looked 30 ft deep if it was to scale, thanks again DR FESTER for sending me the anchor!!! Ive also put in the PE walking grate around the anchor well and started to paint a bit more of the deck. Ive also been painting underneath the decks and sme of the walls black to hopefully block the light from the LEDs.

IMG_3794

Just a few gaps to fill in, also used some old PE sprew folded over at the front to connect rigging.

IMG_3792

IMG_3793 IMG_3790

IMG_3791

Well thats it for tonight, the fibre optics were a bit of a pain, ive read you cant use CA glue?? anyone had any experience as it would be alot easier to secure in place.

• Like 6

Gidday Stelangton, She's looking good, particularly with those lights.

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I love that luminescent spider!

Gidday Martian, I thought they were native to your planet. 😀

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Regards, Jeff.

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Regards, Jeff.

So did I Jeff but I suppose they have as much right to visit your planet as anyone else.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

Just a quick update after an hour or two in the garage lol. Trimmed all the F/O and glued down the fore castle deck so the build is starting to move forward. I used a method called 'blooming' with the fibre optic which is done by holding a soldering iron very close to cause the fibre to melt back on itself, also filling the port hole and creating a lens. Definately recommend for anyone not wanting to loose the fibre back in the model.

IMG_3810

IMG_3806

The lights arnt as bright off camera and there doesnt seem to be any 'light leak' yet lol. well thats it for now going to try and complete the front deck tomorrow.

Edited by Stelangton
  • Like 5

Chewy, thanks for the comment this is the place where i got the F/O https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/component-shop?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I havnt had any problems yet so seems to be decent fibre. Just spent a few more hours today on the front and that part atleast is ALMOST complete lol. I did spot a tiny bit of light coming through inbetween the hull and the deck, Ive heard PVA glue can seal it so will try and see if it works.

IMG_3820

There are a few things i had to make like the 'structure' between the mast and hatch. I used a 1mm styrene strip and cut it to size, painted black then CA glue!!

IMG_3829

IMG_3822

Sorry for the quality but my iphone isnt the best for dark images lol going to have another look at what other PE goodies came in the box!!

• Like 1