A6M2 Rufe Froatplane

Alright, I already have the Macchi MC.72 up on the board, but I've decided to start with this one first.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It should be a pretty straight build. I'll be adding some Yahu PE for the 'pit and I will wire the engine a bit, but for the most part I'm going to stick to the instructions and go by the numbers.

Doing this one first, I think will help the MC.72 as well as the S6B I'm already doing. There are the cuffs for the struts that I need to do for both, and rather than getting into plunge molding I'm going to try and cast resin copies of the ones on this plane. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't but I'll give it a shot.

😉

• Like 10

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice.

I was considering entering the same one myself so I'm interested to see how you get on with this classic kit.

That would make 3 of us. Oh well back to the drawing board... i will see what else i can figure out. I still need to buy something so no big deal. 

Best of luck with the resin moulding - that is something that I have never attempted - much too modern for me! I am a dyed-in -the-wool plunge moulder!

P

Edited by pheonix
spelling
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice.

I was considering entering the same one myself so I'm interested to see how you get on with this classic kit.

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That would make 3 of us. Oh well back to the drawing board... i will see what else i can figure out. I still need to buy something so no big deal.

If you wish, you can both enter the same kit, even with the same markings. There's no exclusivity rule in the GB :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pheonix said:

Best of luck with the resin moulding - that is something that I have never attempted - much too modern for me! I am a died-in -the-wool plunge moulder!

P

Thinking about it, I'm going to try Miliput first and keep resin as a secondary.

11 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Hi again Thom!

Nice to see a Japanese floatplane in the GB!

Good luck with your build!

Jaime

Thank you very much! I hope not to need much of it...

For the build I started on the seat. I sanded out the anemic 'seat belts,' and then thinned the sides. After that was some lightening holes, although how the bottom four ended up uneven I don't know... Since it'll be viewed from the top I may just leave as is.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Next bit is the floor and the sides.

spacer.png

May not do much here, but we'll see.

Model on!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jrlx said:

If you wish, you can both enter the same kit, even with the same markings. There's no exclusivity rule in the GB :)

I know Jaime... Just being a bit of a kook and pulling Craigs @modelling minion's proverbial leg. I was actually considering one of the theoretical (since there is no photo evidence) mauve Rufe's. I've heard everywhere from the Solomon's to Vietnam to Alaska for them. The mysterious mauve Rufe's have always piqued my curiosity. Personally i think Alaska with the constantly changing weather and midnight sun makes the most sense. 

Dennis

• Like 2

I've decided on a slight course correction. I think the seat may be the only part of the kit'pit that I will be using. The deciding point was when I saw that the kit representation of the guns was a pair of blank, smooth rectangles of plastic...

Instead, I have on order the Aires resin set, AMH4541 through Scalehobbyist.

spacer.png

Updates to come. Model on!

• Like 6

So, while awaiting the resin goodies I move onto 'other' things.

Such as the nifty little cradle! (bogie wheel offset for drama)

spacer.png

Nice having something to put a gearless plane onto.

After that it was onto the floats, starting with the wings, both lettered to show which side they go on.

spacer.png

And then the main float. It's front portion was filled with plumbers putty for nose weight.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once dry I'll clean up the edges and then set those aside for later.

And just a question, am I wrong in assuming that the little nubbins on the top of the wings are really for gear down indicators? 

Maybe this top wing is from the geared kit?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Alright, til later.

Model on!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 6

Great progress, Thom! The floats look really good and the resin cockpit will be a great improvement to the inner detail.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

Great progress, Thom! The floats look really good and the resin cockpit will be a great improvement to the inner detail.

Cheers

Jaime

It should! I like to leave the canopies open so a good cockpit is always a plus.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Now i never would've thought of that ? And the putty doesn't effect the plastic at all ? I may just nick the idea so thanks for showing this. 

Dennis

I used this on one other build, the S6B that I still have yet to finish. Just as this, plumbers putty was stuffed into the floats and that's been since late 2017, so I think it's okay. So, nick away!😉

A little more progress done this evening.

The float is all together and just needs to be seem-cleaned.

spacer.png

With that sitting aside, I went to the cowl. It comes in two halves and will need to have the seams cleaned a bit.

spacer.png

I decided to thin the edges by the flaps so it is a little more in-scale. Upper left done first, compared to the opposite side.

spacer.png

And of course there must be something inside there to give it purpose. I spent a while drilling holes for wires - and one snapped drill bit...

spacer.png

Then a little stop to the wings. I dry-fitted them to the fuse and found it was pretty damn close fit. Happy! It may end up needing a spru-spreader inside in the end, but I won't sweat that. Before then though, I opened up the cartridge chutes and painted the inside and edges matte black.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thinking about the gun ports in the wings, after these are dry I'll drill out the holes already there and fill them with round-stock with a hole drilled down the center, then sand that flush. I also want to cut off the wing tip lights and replace them with plexiglass.

The last bit today was opening up the cowl guns. The kits represents them with little solid ridges of plastic in the groove, and since I have some metal rod of the right diameter, out once again came the hand-drill!

spacer.png

spacer.png

The metal rod will slip right in and that will look tons better!

So, that's it for now.

Model on!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good progress!

You say that just as it's going to slow down a bit!😁

There's a model show coming up in a few weeks, so I'm switching my attention to D0335 that's pretty far along.

As for the A6M, the resin 'pit should arrive this coming Saturday, as well as the Tamiya XF-76 gray/green at about the same time. The canopy mask and PE seatbelts have already shown up.

• Like 1

Nice work, I think I used lead in the floats. Certain clays  have oil that can eat plastic. I have no

idea about plumbers putty. Those 2 little rods on the wing tops need to be cut off, they are indeed

wheel down indicators. Those wing tops are the same ones used on Tamiya's old A6M2b.---John

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:35 PM, Johnv said:

Nice work, I think I used lead in the floats. Certain clays  have oil that can eat plastic. I have no

idea about plumbers putty. Those 2 little rods on the wing tops need to be cut off, they are indeed

wheel down indicators. Those wing tops are the same ones used on Tamiya's old A6M2b.---John

That's what I thought about the indicators. Great to have that confirmed! They will be deleted first thing when she's back on the table.

And I'll dig into the resin goodness that arrived on Sat!

spacer.png

I ordered it through Scalehobbyist and it arrived in only a few days. Looks like that seat I drilled will be joining the parts bin...

Model on!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...