Westland Sea King HAS.1

August 2019 marks 50 years since the Westland Sea King entered service with the RN - what more excuse do I need ?

wp742471bc_05_06.jpg

This is the 1/72 Fujimi kit, with a few small mods/enhancements, but essentially "out the box" apart for the decals, which come from Modeldecal and represent one of the shore-based 819 Sqn aircraft from RNAS Prestwick (HMS Gannet) that spent much of the Cold War protecting the SSBN fleet on its way in and out of the Clyde estuary, as well as becoming the busiest SAR flight in the country.  

wpf949ecf1_05_06.jpg

I also modified the weapon load to be a full set of Mark 44 torpedoes suitable for shallow water in the 1970s (the kit provides a mix of 2x Mk.44s and 2x later Mk.46s).  

wpddeb74ad_05_06.jpg

wp8ed8d789_05_06.jpg

wp92f38361_05_06.jpg

and finally, with the rest of my Sea Kings...

FredT

wpcb00b053_05_06.jpg

• Like 44

Hello,

Excellent and colorful line up off the most reliable helicopter in history so far.

Regards, Orion.

The ones in the picture are all Fujimi, except the ASACS which is Revell. The stash contains many more Revell and Fujimi kits, plus two new Airfix ones!

So many kits, so little time!.....

• 1 month later...

Lovely Sea King! I must admit I would love to build an HAS 1 or 2, but I'm a Sea King noob and while researching the topic I got a bit befuddled by rotor blades and lumps and bumps...may I ask which boxing this is, is it boxed as an HAS1? 

3 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Lovely Sea King! I must admit I would love to build an HAS 1 or 2, but I'm a Sea King noob and while researching the topic I got a bit befuddled by rotor blades and lumps and bumps...may I ask which boxing this is, is it boxed as an HAS1? 

It was the old Fujimi issue -

wp25a3c000_05_06.jpg

it is advertised as a HAR.3, but also includes decals and parts for what I believe is a HAS.2 (although it might be a 1), from HERMES. 

I used Modeldecal markings and ditched the Mk.45 torpedoes for 2x Mk.44.  The kit as supplied is missing the aux gearbox lump, for which I used some sprue, sanded to shape.  Its interior is wrong too, reflecting the US layout. , I also added the wire antenna posts and of course, folded the blades!  

FredT

23 minutes ago, gengriz said:

It was the old Fujimi issue -

wp25a3c000_05_06.jpg

it is advertised as a HAR.3, but also includes decals and parts for what I believe is a HAS.2 (although it might be a 1), from HERMES. 

Unless there are 2 tail rotors, it must be an HAS 2 - of the Westland-built cabs, only the HAS1 had 5 TR blades (until a few HC4s went back to 5 heavily modified blades at the very end of their lives).