F-35B Lightning II - 809 NAS, Royal Navy

Very nice.  I did something very similar a few years ago.  I do wonder why people keep insisting on painting the RAM tape on the fuselage a different colour still, when on all the latest ones the aircraft is a uniform colour all over.

My  Navy one

35629614531_0d98e87165_b.jpg20160103_142702_zpsc4iqpabq by Paul Carter, on Flickr

And my RAF one...I used Mr Paint Have Glass on this one.

32646254737_ba1cc464a2_k.jpg20190411_224329 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

• Like 3

Very nice, would love to build a B in 1/48 but I don't have your skills if this kit is as hard work as you suggest? I'll wait and see if someone else does one, Tamiya hopefully and I'd be happy to pay extra for the kind of engineering quality associated with them. Have more than enough to keep me going for years just now :)

Great build.

• Like 1

Thanks very much everyone, this was a nice thread to come home to 🍻 Glad you like the build, I know the F-35 isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's definitely one of my faves.

10 hours ago, Devilfish said:

Very nice.  I did something very similar a few years ago. 

Thanks, great minds and all that 😀

5 hours ago, One 48 said:

I'll wait and see if someone else does one, Tamiya hopefully and I'd be happy to pay extra for the kind of engineering quality associated with them.

Thanks again. Got to admit if Tamiya does go down the F-35 road I'd expect it'll be the A version used by the JASDF of which there are already a couple of decent kits in 1/48. The Kitty Hawk A must be easier than this one, and Meng also does an A in 1/48. To be fair to KH this is an insanely busy and complex subject and to have made it this detailed is pretty good work by them.

26 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

All those open panels - it must be a nightmare if you want to have them shut!

Thanks Trevor, the main gear doors needed to be closed on this one and once you cut off the hinges they fit perfectly. But why build one of these all closed up? Kind of defeats the unique selling point of this variant 😂

Thanks again you kind bunch, really appreciate your comments and observations 👍

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

I’m doing Kitty Hawk’s Jag at the moment and closing those panels is.......interesting. The problem with all those panels is warping of the fuselage halves and rigidity.

Trevor

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Phone Phixer said:

Fantastic build. Great work well and truly kicking KH's efforts into submission.

Just read through the build thread, lots of great info for future use.

Brilliant, glad to be of help 👍

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 10:32 PM, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thanks Richard, yours was a suitable inspiration 👍

On 8/30/2019 at 11:33 PM, stevej60 said:

Superb build Alan great to see one of "ours" for a change!

Ours as in Brit, or ours as in The Senior Service? 😂

23 hours ago, P.1127 said:

Cracking build, brilliant display.

Jack

Cheers Jack, the stand was a bit of a bodge job but Halfords gloss black covers any mistakes!

23 hours ago, James G said:

Great job Al, especially like the weapons bays.

Thanks very much James, especially from someone who knows a thing or two about extra detailing 😀

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's just super stuff.

Just one issue your 809 emblem has LM on it ...Lossiemouth....much as I would like HMS Fulmar to rise again like 809s Phoenix I cant see it happening ...strange when you are up in Elgin and they find out you are navy the locals go all dewy eyed  even though though they weren't even born when RNAS Lossiemouth closed...strange🤔😃

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/3/2019 at 11:14 PM, junglierating said:

That's just super stuff.

Just one issue your 809 emblem has LM on it ...Lossiemouth....much as I would like HMS Fulmar to rise again like 809s Phoenix I cant see it happening ...strange when you are up in Elgin and they find out you are navy the locals go all dewy eyed  even though though they weren't even born when RNAS Lossiemouth closed...strange🤔😃

Cheers! And we shall return... 😂

• Like 1