Airfix 1/24th Hawker Typhoon ‘Car Door’ WIP

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Just had a read of your thread and this looks fantastic,  got this kit in the stash too.  Can I ask   did you apply the Canning effects the the aircraft skin or was tgat something Airfix did, it looks good.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for your kind comment, no the canning is part of the moulding but now more apparent once primed.

Mike

• Thanks 1

It's looking good, Mike. I've got my own one following along and it's the biggest kit I've done in decades, so will be interesting to see how well my painting and weathering methods scale up for it.

Good luck and I hope all goes well,

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Painting has finally begun in earnest, started by applying a rattle can base layer of Humbrol Sky back aft on the fuselage and then brush painted Xtracrylix Sky over that before masking off for the tail band. The reason for this is that I will later be attempting to airbrush on the markings using Montex Masks and will use Xtracrylix Sky for the codes.

spacer.png

I then applied the Medium Sea Grey from a Tamiya rattle can (not photographed) on the undersurfaces, mainly the wing tip ends outboard of the ailerons, fuselage and tailplane before masking off those areas ready for the white of the ID stripes.

spacer.png

Using a scale rule that I had from SAM of old I measured off the black stripe widths (scale 12 inches wide at 24 inch apart) although the Airfix instructions are wrong in saying overall length is 95mm as that simply doesn’t equate. Tamiya NATO black was then used, again from the can and the results are pretty good with minor bleeding 

spacer.png

Once I removed the undercarriage doors blanking plates it looked pretty good

spacer.png

As you can see there are some areas to touch up which I think is inevitable. The outer cannon shroud will also need to be black too eventually.

The aircraft I’m modelling also had the white central band left on the underside of the radiator after the all white nose was painted out as per the numerous paint scheme directives that Typhoons were subject to in order to differentiate them from FW190s .

Upper surface Ocean Grey will be next, cheers for now

Mike.

Edited by mick b
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

Slow progress but as per the following images I sprayed the on Tamiya Ocean Grey 2 first, brushed on a coat of Kleer for protection and then I applied the Top Notch masking set, which proved relatively easy to fit, with close reference to the Ducimus Camouflage and Markings book which provides drawings showing the measurements on the wings etc for the exact placement of the masks. Some trimming and additions of tape were needed to suit my particular machine as for example the scheme around the radiator was non standard having painted out the white identification nose. The Tamiya rattle cans produced satisfying results. A few areas need touching up but generally I’m happy with it so far.

spacer.png

Top Notch masks fitted with some Tamiya tape to fill minor gaps and Montex masks on the canopy. The port wing gun bay cover also used to mask off the open bay.

spacer.png

Tamiya Dark Green 2 sprayed on and the masks then removed, including the sky fuselage band tape, leaving the cockpit still protected at this stage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A great deal to do yet and next will be my first attempt at spraying on the rounders etc with the help of the Montex set.

All comments welcome

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow this has really come on now and looks great.  What a lovely job.

Chris

7 hours ago, woody37 said:

That's looking superb Mick, great to see the car door type too.

Thank you guys for your kind comments, much appreciated 👍

I have always preferred the look of the car door variant over the bubble top since building the old Frog kit many moons ago 😊

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

spacer.png

Months have passed since my last post and this is mainly down to my continued struggle to get markings on this beast. My original plan was to use the Montex masks throughout but due to issues with bleeding on the undulating surfaces I gave up on the fuselage and underwing roundels and have resorted to the kit decals. These are known to be thick but despite this they have a tendency to tear when using Microsoft setting solutions...probably partly my fault but never had such issues before. In hindsight I should’ve bought the Techmod decals to see if they would perform better. The kit stencils also have prominent carrier film so maybe replace these with aftermarket too?

spacer.png

The Z was made up from other letters from the kit sheet and needs tidying with paint. The 609 badge is orientated differently on this machine to that on Beamonts so needed cutting up and re-configuring. Yet to add the Tally Ho motto which also needs altering 🙄

spacer.png

The fin flashes were from the mask set but I added the white stripe from the kit decals to tidy it up as the overly deep rivets here made it difficult to get a neat finish.

spacer.png

Xtradecal Pre War Roundel upscale from 48th sheet:

spacer.png

Getting there slowly....

spacer.png

The upperwing roundels were airbrushed on using the excellent Colourcoats range, I may have to paint over the fuselage red centre for uniformity....the fight goes on 😁...all comments welcome

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 4

• 10 months later...