1/48 Airfix Spitfire Fr Mk. XIVe

Hi All,

As some of you may know, I used to be a regular and prolific builder of Spitfires here on BM, particularly Mk XIV's, but in 1/72 scale. Well, you can imagine how I felt when I stopped building models as much (due to university and other hobbies) and then Sword announced a new tool Spitfire XIV in 1/72 and Airfix, a new tool XIV in 1/48 scale. At last! A decent Spitfire XIV in 1/48 scale!

So I have begun the switch to modelling (mostly) in 1/48 scale now (for piston fighters at least) as I'm not building as many models, so those I do build might as well be a bit bigger... Aside from the 1/48 Lynx I built myself, which proudly sits on my desk in the Westlands design office, this is the first 1/48 kit I've built in about 10 years!

As much as I like the overall silver of the BAFO scheme, I couldnt help but model the 414 RCAF example of Squadron Leader James Bernard Prendergast, if only for the nose art, spinner and silver canopy! I had also made his previous mount NH648 Lazy Lady "IV" in 1/72 scale, five years ago when I'd just started university!

No WiP for this one, I've just been enjoying building models recently, without the added hassle of WiP's. The kit was simple and straightforward to build, aside from the tank cover, forward of the canopy, and the wing roots (which has a step in them) - anyway, I'm happy with the final result, weathered subtly.

Spitfire FR.XIV ‘P’/NH902 flown by Squadron Leader James Prendergast, 414 Squadron RCAF, May 1945.

Lazy Lady "V"

IMGP0260

IMGP0262

IMGP0264

IMGP0265

IMGP0268

IMGP0270

IMGP0272

Thanks for looking :)

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build, glad you're still finding time for the hobby!

I'm also very keen on this particular aircraft since flying it, specifically as Prendergasts plane, in the PC game War Thunder some years ago. I was sitting on an AZ XIVe kit for ages and scrounging for decals. So I was really happy when Sword released it in 1/72 with these exact markings and built it immediately! 😎

It's interesting that Airfix have gone for a yellow spinner. Both Sword and War Thunder have gone with a red spinner, and I've seen other modellers before the Airfix release do it in red. Is the yellow based on updated information?

• Like 1

I think in my previous life I must have been a rivet on a Spitfire as I really can get overly excited (with the exception of Tattiana of BB ) upon seeing any Spitfires on Britmodeller.Your Mk.XIVE is a thing of beauty.High time to get some boxes of it too.

Edited by Kampartiger