Type 45 Colours

Pappy

G'day people,

pologies if this has already been asked,

I am doing some research for a fututre build. Iam looking at the Airfix Type 45 {Daring Class} destroyer instructions which suggest Humbrol 127 {light ghost grey} for the hull sides/superstructure and Humbrol 27 {sea grey}for the deck and horizontal surfaces. Hu 27 seems like a good approximation but i am not convinced about Hu127.

I don't want to use Humbrol paints because although they are available and great to brush paint with, I have moved away from spraying enamels. I also hate messing about with the ti lets, they are just not user friendly. I also had a bad experience spraying Humbrol acrylics.  Hu 127 would be equivalent to FS 36375 {Light Ghost Grey} but this seems a little too light to me. I imagine the real paint would also be a BSC colour and some form of «admiralty grey»

What would people suggest as an alternate to Humbrol paints ? I know WEM used to make matched paints but I don't think these are still available and again, they are in the same tinlet form as Humbrol and also enamel, 

cheers,

Pappy

Since the late 1960's, RN hull and superstructure vertical surfaces have been BS381C-676 Light Weatherwork Grey. This is a light, slightly blue, grey but the appearance seems to vary enormously according to the light and surrounding colours so I'd suggest the main thing is to find a colour that you think looks convincing.  The squares below are grabs from various photos of modern RN ships and I think this illustrates how hard it is to get reliable colours from photos.

Screen+Shot+2017-09-05+at+21.56.24.png

For my 1:1250 models, I use Vallejo Light Grey (990) with quite a lot of white added - I should have added more as my mix is a bit too dark, especially at this scale, but I'm reluctant to change and make the models I have already painted stand out as different. Another suggestion I have seen is 20 parts Vallejo Air 046 Pale Grey Blue; 6 parts 057 Black; 3 parts 001 White but that just sounded too much trouble to me!

https://midlandshipyard.blogspot.com/2017/09/hms-manchester-type-42-b3-skytrex.html

9 hours ago, Pappy said:

I know WEM used to make matched paints but I don't think these are still available and again, they are in the same tinlet form as Humbrol and also enamel, 

cheers,

Pappy

I've owned the ex-White Ensign Models Colourcoats paint brand since 2014. There was a 6 month gap in their availability whilst we sought out a postal company with enough collective wit in their ranks to post them, and they've been available ever since :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Midland1965 said:

Since the late 1960's, RN hull and superstructure vertical surfaces have been BS381C-676 Light Weatherwork Grey. This is a light, slightly blue, grey but the appearance seems to vary enormously according to the light and surrounding colours so I'd suggest the main thing is to find a colour that you think looks convincing.  The squares below are grabs from various photos of modern RN ships and I think this illustrates how hard it is to get reliable colours from photos.

Screen+Shot+2017-09-05+at+21.56.24.png

For my 1:1250 models, I use Vallejo Light Grey (990) with quite a lot of white added - I should have added more as my mix is a bit too dark, especially at this scale, but I'm reluctant to change and make the models I have already painted stand out as different. Another suggestion I have seen is 20 parts Vallejo Air 046 Pale Grey Blue; 6 parts 057 Black; 3 parts 001 White but that just sounded too much trouble to me!

https://midlandshipyard.blogspot.com/2017/09/hms-manchester-type-42-b3-skytrex.html

G'day Midland, that is a useful collage and thanks for the answer regarding the real colour (BS381C - 676), that is a most useful piece of info

15 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I've owned the ex-White Ensign Models Colourcoats paint brand since 2014. There was a 6 month gap in their availability whilst we sought out a postal company with enough collective wit in their ranks to post them, and they've been available ever since :)

G'day Jamie,

As I said, although I do not doubt the accuracy of the WEM Colour coats, supply in Oz is problematic and again, great to brush with but not user friendly reference spraying due to the tinlet packaging.

I think I wil start with FS36375 and experiment from there, thank you both for your input,

cheers,

Pappy

Not sure I get where you're coming from re. airbrushing - I avoid brushes wherever possible. They're a dawdle to airbrush which is why I bought them. Many (including) me just use a pipette for lifting, adding thinners and mixing.

No matter though - best of luck with the model. You can do comparisons on www.e-paint.co.uk of BS381C-676 versus American FS595 paints.

• Like 2