Monogram B-26 with Lone Star short wing conversion.

Well, it's been a long haul but this one is finally in the display case.  Short wings, small tail, and early style tail gun set up.  The model was rescribed.  Eventually I will have to build a stock Monogram kit, but not today!  Overall OD is 34086 from Model Master, as close to OD 41 as I can see, with fading using Faded Olive Drab and 34087, also MM.  Matte finish is Alclad II.  Oils used for weathering and a silver pencil, Tamiya Smoke for the exhaust.  The torpedo installation and decals are from Lone Star.  It is a B-26 used in the battle of Midway, and flew down the deck of Nagumo's flagship carrier, strafing it.  Here is a link to a narrative of the attack by the B-26's.  2 of 4 returned to Midway, but Susie Q was scrapped due to the damage incurred.

https://www.pacificwar.org.au/Midway/USArmy_at_Midway.html

0461b26.jpg

0471b26.jpg

0481b26.jpg

0491b26.jpg

0501b26.jpg

0511b26.jpg

spacer.png

0531b26.jpg

0541b26.jpg

0461b26.jpg

0551b26.jpg

0561b26.jpg

Edited by jeaton01
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jeaton,

respect Sir! I never ever saw this version. It looks fantastic. Nice weathering, nothing is overdone. It must be a lot of work to rescribe all these  Panels, but it was it worth

thx for sharing 

all the best 

Andy 

Excellent build, John. Seems you’ve built it in pre-mission condition! Weathering looks to be subtle but noticeable, very fine line but you walked it well. 

l’m not super well read on B-26’s, other than they were built in Baltimore and pilots thought they were junk until Jimmy Doolittle set them straight. Were the short wing and tail features of early models?

Thanks for sharing your build and the story. 

P.S. there’s an extra bracket behind the link you provided which threw me into internet purgatory. Quick editing in the address bar allowed me to get back on track. 

1 hour ago, RadMax8 said:

Excellent build, John. Seems you’ve built it in pre-mission condition! Weathering looks to be subtle but noticeable, very fine line but you walked it well. 

l’m not super well read on B-26’s, other than they were built in Baltimore and pilots thought they were junk until Jimmy Doolittle set them straight. Were the short wing and tail features of early models?

Thanks for sharing your build and the story. 

P.S. there’s an extra bracket behind the link you provided which threw me into internet purgatory. Quick editing in the address bar allowed me to get back on track. 

Thanks for letting me know about the link.

The first B-26's until in B-26B production, not sure which serial the change was, had shorter wings and smaller tail surfaces.  The high wing loading was difficult for low time pilots to handle.  With the larger flight surfaces and better training the accident rate was less.  In combat the B-26 had the lowest loss rate of any USAAF bomber.

Edited by jeaton01

That's a great conversion! The Monogram kit is a challenge regarding the fit of parts, and it must have been particularly difficult with the replacement parts. Very nice result.

Does anybody know what's going on at Lone Star Models? He is not taking orders currently for personal reasons.