TAMIYA 1/32 F-14A Tomcat "BOMBCAT"

11 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Shots fired...

Its not about either. Accuracy should be our number 1 goal as modellers. 

A CAG jet is unlikely to be that weathered. 

Helped by the fact all your pics of extreme weathering show a majority of line birds, not NF100 in that state. I’m sure if you had a picture of it that you worked from you would have shared it for comparison. 

In summary I’m not saying it’s incorrect weathering for a tomcat, just probably too much for that particular jet. 

Shots fired ?? :rofl2:

Well, I wouldn't bother such a discussion as I find adults getting into that over pieces of plastic completely ludicrous. Not that I do not appreciate accurate modelling efforts, which from time to time try to pursue and even had tried harder when I was younger. But you know, sometimes the modeller would like to play as he wishes unless he builds to gold medals in accuarcy, as this is a hobby after all and this is exactly the case about this model. I wanted to build it dirty, heavily weathered, severely worn-out, regardless of squadron or any particular aircraft. Let's call it artistic liberty or licence, if any... 

When I was younger I used to count the rivets, too. Believe me, it does not help physicologically... Denies you all the joy of the hobby. Getting as close as one can get to the real thing is sometimes a motive, unless it strips all the joy away. Please do not forget, the subject which you're trying to achieve the accuracy of is built of metal, while your material is only plastic. Skin or sidewalls of an aircraft is only a few millimeters, while any average model 1/72th scale has about 1.5mm plastic thickness. And that is 100mm in real life! Where's the accuracy??

Anyway, I see your point about accuracy, share it mostly but I'm not just obsessed with it. I was, but not anymore after I figured out building for joy was more satisfying, as those damn things we build simply do not fly. And how funny we as modellers find ourselves in discussions even the maintenance personnel of the real aircraft wouldn't care.

Your effort to bring that 1/100th Revell F-14 to a certain level, remarkable as it is, in fact is already what I am trying to tell you about...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 06/09/2019 at 18:53, SpeedyGonzales said:

Shots fired ?? :rofl2:

Well, I wouldn't bother such a discussion as I find adults getting into that over pieces of plastic completely ludicrous.

Don’t worry mate i’m alot thicker skinned than that. 

The ‘shots fired’ meant that I assumed your comment was a reply ‘aimed’ to what myself and/or others had said. I didn’t see it in the sense of a personal attack and now want to start a war. Assuming that’s what you thought I meant judging by your reply?

Problem on the internet is that context & individual senses of humour aswell as language barriers can lead to all sorts of issues with interpretation. 

Artistic license is fine I get that too if you don’t have an exact pic of what you are replicating. However it may be worth stating that so people know the angle you’re approaching something if they’re not knowledgeable in the subject. 

Also I don’t get your relevance of the accuracy example of thickness? That has nothing to do with this discussion. 

As modellers of course we should try and be as accurate as we can where we can be. Paint/weathering/markings/features are all under our control and this is what differentiates build/version x from y etc. 

Thickness of the skin is really  only relevant if you’re doing a maintenance scene/open panels etc and as mentioned not relevant in this example nor what I critiqued you on. 

However due to your admission I will close with this food for thought comment -

‘once a rivet counter, always a rivet counter...’

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 05/09/2019 at 23:16, SpeedyGonzales said:

Thanks F-32, good to know there are modellers who judge by knowledge rather than their taste... Some bits and pieces may be inaccurate in this fast-track build, but weathering was specially worked with references.

Those reference photos look over edited, this could be the case as links are not provided. It’s a shame as anyone can drop any photo into Lightroom or any other editing software and change an image. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Those reference photos look over edited, this could be the case as links are not provided. It’s a shame as anyone can drop any photo into Lightroom or any other editing software and change an image. 

I am adding below a "search result" which anyone smart enough would get if he could manage to type "Dirty F-14 Tomcat" on Google. I assume you can distinguish those heavily weathered real aircrafts from those which are not. Or maybe the US Navy drops photos into Lightroom and edits images to make some of their aircraft look that worn so they can convince people about how busy they have been.

It is really a shame anyone can make comments on anything...

https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=dirty+f-14+tomcat&dcr=0&sxsrf=ACYBGNQ69A7WG79-K2WRWfM4DuOzW7GkDA:1567963174136&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=X5esfegVw67ZUM%3A%2C_Ui9hPDs1DllGM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTbpbIDDSxvE0g9LffdKmvK8w5s_w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8pY-A3sHkAhXH_KQKHUncDzAQ9QEwAHoECAAQBg#imgrc=imevo9W4UI6h8M:&vet=1

Still a few links, too... Anyone still not satisfied, please demonstrate your level of aviation knowledge elsewhere and do not waste any more time of mine and others.

xdp6j6r5ym3z.jpg

99d351285b8b0fb594201a4fef061c9f.jpg

298c60cad5613573dce9a32a6a21437b.jpg

f14-photo-vf024-20xl.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpeedyGonzales said:

I am adding below a "search result" which anyone smart enough would get if he could manage to type "Dirty F-14 Tomcat" on Google. I assume you can distinguish those heavily weathered real aircrafts from those which are not. Or maybe the US Navy drops photos into Lightroom and edits images to make some of their aircraft look that worn so they can convince people about how busy they have been.

Still a few links, too... Anyone still not satisfied, please demonstrate your level of aviation knowledge elsewhere and do not waste any more time of mine and others.

Looks like us modellers have been doing it wrong all of these years, looks like all of the highly detailed photos I’ve taken of exhausts, engines, wheel bays, ejector seats, cockpits, also the neverending collection of books and other reference material by people that actually operated said aircraft are all incorrect! 

So obviously my level of aviation knowledge is clearly no match for your level of rudeness, or the be-all and end-all of aviation research that is “Google” so I shall say no more on the matter. 

Off to burn my books

Ben

Edited by Ben Hartmann
Spelling mistake

15 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Looks like us modellers have been doing it wrong all of these years, looks like all of the highly detailed photos I’ve taken of exhausts, engines, wheel bays, ejector seats, cockpits, also the neverending collection of books and other reference material by people that actually operated said aircraft are all incorrect! 

So obviously my level of aviation knowledge is clearly no match for your level of rudeness, or the be-all and end-all of aviation research that is “Google” so I shall say no more on the matter. 

Off to burn my books

Ben

My level of rudeness?? You're simply implying that all the public photos I posted as references have been digitally touched without any basis for an evidence and still calling me rude? And somehow conclude that Google search, which I put here as the easiest source available to anyone, is the only resource for my references? Well, normally I would call this funny as a modeller and aviation enthusiast having built over 400 models, taken thousands of photographs and collected over 3.000 aviation publications in the last 30 years but I really appreciate if you say no more on the matter indeed.

• Haha 1

Good (and mean) looking cat Speedy, very well done. Don't take issue with those stating "their own" preferences, I'm sure they didn't mean it disrespectfully. Your modelling abilities are top notch and thanks for sharing! 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Robert_ said:

Good (and mean) looking cat Speedy, very well done. Don't take issue with those stating "their own" preferences, I'm sure they didn't mean it disrespectfully. Your modelling abilities are top notch and thanks for sharing! 

Thanks very much Robert, so kind of you... No claim of a top notch build, never ever, in fact so far from it. Just expecting more modest ways of expressing one's thoughts... Thanks so much again for such a civilized comment.

On 28/08/2019 at 21:12, Tony Oliver said:

Yeah a good effort but a bit overdone for my tastes too. 

Also the build has some errors - too many/non existent rivet details here and there, the main wheel hubs are one of the early types and would not be on this plane in 2003. 

Also the tail fin caps lack the strengthening plates, brought in the early eighties or so.  

That is down to the tamiya kit and them not updating certain parts on it when they retooled some bits. 

Also the payload of what looks like gbu-24’s weren’t carried side by side. They were normally staggered due to size and only a couple of squadrons got to carry them. Can’t remember exactly which ones at the moment. 

Best look away when I post my RFIs mate, you'd need half a page of bullet points! 😂😂

@SpeedyGonzales your Tomcat looks good to me!

• Thanks 1

I think everyone needs to take a step back and calm their jets.  As OP has said, it's his model built to his tastes.  If you don't like it, don't get all snippy and upset - we leave that sort of nonsense to other places.  If it offends your eyes that much, just walk away - there's absolutely no need to get personal, as that leads to time away from the site :shrug:

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

great build.

my Dad spent 25+ years in USN aviation. i grew up a Navy brat. i was always around military aircraft.

also I spent 7 years as a U. S. Army Airborne Ranger in real combat.

things get dirty. i served in SEA, E Africa, & middle east from monsoons, to desert sandblasting, i have seen first hand weathering on military equipment.

most things in books are air show or museum piece's. where things are cleaned and polished for a show.

just like dress greens for parade vs camo  uniform for combat.

so if your happy with your build, more power to you.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I like it a lot...whatever anyone else says!

Great job, Speedy !!

Can I ask a question please...do the wings / fins and elevators have raised panel lines too?

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2020 at 10:18 PM, t15dja said:

I like it a lot...whatever anyone else says!

Great job, Speedy !!

Can I ask a question please...do the wings / fins and elevators have raised panel lines too?

Thanks a lot t15dja :) This kit of Tamiya presents a mixture of both, the wings have recessed panel lines but the fins and the elevators have raised ones.

• Thanks 1