TAMIYA 1/32 F-14A Tomcat "BOMBCAT"

Yeah a good effort but a bit overdone for my tastes too. 

Also the build has some errors - too many/non existent rivet details here and there, the main wheel hubs are one of the early types and would not be on this plane in 2003. 

Also the tail fin caps lack the strengthening plates, brought in the early eighties or so.  

That is down to the tamiya kit and them not updating certain parts on it when they retooled some bits. 

Also the payload of what looks like gbu-24’s weren’t carried side by side. They were normally staggered due to size and only a couple of squadrons got to carry them. Can’t remember exactly which ones at the moment. 

• Like 4

Very nice and eye catching model!

Black Knights were used in anger in Iraqi Freedom  on 2003. So one of the last outings of the A models. Quite likely the Gbu-24 was cleared..

• Thanks 1

There are modellers who build models for fun and a general look. And there are some, and if they ever build, who count other's rivets...

Well my friend, not being without some faults and errors your F-14 is quite eye-catching, which is what I personally seek after a model and try to achieve when I build mine.

• Like 5

Great build. I am currently putting a Tamiya "Cat" together. Mine has taken more than ten days I can tell you. It is a long way off. I have rescribed the body panel lines and have a resin cockpit to put together too. Did you redo the panel lines? and is that pit from the box? Regardless, your model looks mighty fine. My decals were unusable unfortunately (older boxing), so I have purchased aftermarket Black Knight markings. Can't wait to get it all together. Congratulations on a lovely model. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, noelbarnes said:

Great build. I am currently putting a Tamiya "Cat" together. Mine has taken more than ten days I can tell you. It is a long way off. I have rescribed the body panel lines and have a resin cockpit to put together too. Did you redo the panel lines? and is that pit from the box? Regardless, your model looks mighty fine. My decals were unusable unfortunately (older boxing), so I have purchased aftermarket Black Knight markings. Can't wait to get it all together. Congratulations on a lovely model. 

Thanks noelbarnes. I scribed the body panel lines, otherwise is what you would not want to see on such a big Tamiya kit. Also added some rivets. The pit has some additions from Eduard and the mirrors etc. Wish you best luck wit your Cat, it look so great when finished on your shelf, but make sure you have a big one :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Speedy, I noted you stated that you scribed the panel lines; were the body panel lines on this kit originally raised?   Nice model sir!

Thank you Gary. The kit comes with recessed panels on the front fuselage but raised ones on the main fuselage... Which is the worst thing about this kit.

• Like 1

Wow ! That looks absolutely fantastic. I had built once a few years ago and I must say you really have done a great job in finishing this monster in ten days. The intensive weathering is not what you see on too many F-14s but your reference photos are proof that such worn and dirty aircraft really exist. Nice work sir.

• Like 1

Yeah, carrier Aircraft can get mucky after a long tour of duty, you captured the extreme weathering the real aircraft went through very well, wish I could paint/spray like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2019 at 1:37 AM, redcap said:

For just 10 days of work on such a large kit, the end result is very impressive indeed.

Gary

Thanks Gary. Those ten days quite busy I was, I must say. From morning till midnight indeed. On the other hand, size is an advantage rather than a disadvantage if you want to move fast with this scale because it makes working with details easier. Assembly, some rivets with the riveting tool and small parts' painting the first five-six days... Paints (all acyrlic) day seven, gloss varnish day eight, decals and painted parts assembly day nine, topcoat day ten... Would I do it again? NOOO :fraidnot::fraidnot: :):)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, F-32 said:

A lovely big beasty! I've seen them looking far worse than that, so to my eye your weathering is spot on!

Thanks F-32, good to know there are modellers who judge by knowledge rather than their taste... Some bits and pieces may be inaccurate in this fast-track build, but weathering was specially worked with references.

8 hours ago, SpeedyGonzales said:

Thanks F-32, good to know there are modellers who judge by knowledge rather than their taste..

Shots fired...

Its not about either. Accuracy should be our number 1 goal as modellers. 

A CAG jet is unlikely to be that weathered. 

Helped by the fact all your pics of extreme weathering show a majority of line birds, not NF100 in that state. I’m sure if you had a picture of it that you worked from you would have shared it for comparison. 

In summary I’m not saying it’s incorrect weathering for a tomcat, just probably too much for that particular jet.