Tamiya 1/24 Nissan 390 GT

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my current build. Hope you like it.  Tried some of the new tamiya lacquer paints and thinners but so far just in the metallic red bits. Works OK but melts pippets and gloves.  Will probably stick to their acrylic paints.  Just a few wips for now.  Thanks for looking.

2019-03-16_10-06-50 2019-03-16_10-07-47 2019-08-28_02-40-17 2019-08-28_02-41-00

I've used wood glue almost exclusively in this build as I was fed up with normal modelling glue making a mess on pre-painted parts.. Seems to work OK so far 😊

Cheers for now

Edited by KonaDawg
spelling
  • Like 3

Got a bit more done.  Another first for me was to spray the body with no primer.  It's looking OK but is of course more fragile and there are a couple of spots to patch up.  

IMAG1213~2 IMAG1212~2 IMAG1211~2

Not a huge fan of the red and black colour scheme but it's OK.  Colours are more vibrant in real life, seem a bit washed out here.

Did some work with MR dissolved putty to try and make the edges of the turbo a bit neater.

2019-09-01_11-13-59

That's all for now. More soon I hope.  Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

This is nice work.  

With reference to your glue, maybe have a look at BSI Super Gold, its superglue but doesn’t frost clear parts, not sure how it would be with your pre painted parts. I can recommend it but obviously YMMV

i feel your pain with decals, they either go great or are a complete pig from my experience.

good luck with the rest of this build, it’s great so far 

• Like 1

Managed to wreck the gloss coat 🙁.  It's not too obvious but annoying. Hey ho.  Just a couple of pics for the mo.  Decals settled down eventually and I really like the gloss. It's a bit glass like and probably overkill for a les Mans car but it's OK.

IMAG1219~2 IMAG1220~2 2019-09-07_05-49-56 2019-09-07_05-43-11

The gloss is MR ultra uv gloss BTW 😊

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 2

Going to have to disagree with you about it not being a looker. Personally I think the R390 is quite attractive for a race car, particularly in this red and black colour scheme. The good news is that you're doing it justice, particularly when you look at that engine bay.