Halcyon Aliens APC wheels

Hutch

I have a couple of these 'somewhere' in the stash and my son has offered to 3D print some 'accurate' wheels for me. He's already produced a 'more than basic' stl file for them (he works as a CGI designer/artist) but is there anyone out there able to measure the kit parts accurately for me?  I'm looking for diameter, depth and any other significant dimensions.

Many thanks in advance

Hutch  

Hi Hutch,

I've recently dismantled the Halcyon APC I built back when it was first released with the intention of restoring it (eventually). As a result I can take any measurements you need.

I'll list the main ones below, along with a reference photo, but let me know if you need any other specific measurements.

48636852572_a10d50e7cf_h.jpg

The tread blocks are 6.5mm x 3mm x 0.5mm (L,W,D)

The gap between them is approx. 2mm

The raised line that forms the rim and inner ring is approx 0.5mm wide

Hope that's helpful

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

Andy, that is just perfect.  Thank you so much.  My lad has got the tread matching the ones in the film (the kit tread was a little off.....) but this will certainly help get the rest matching the kit.  He will be able to work from these photos....

Hutch 🙂

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/10/2019 at 14:45, SleeperService said:

How is your lad getting on with this? I'd be interested in a set at 1/48 as I'm giving up on the 1/72 resin kit which is in the Sci-Fi GB and looks pretty poor.

He's done rather well so far...  I've got a first print in my hands and it looks pretty good but I need to offer it up to the kit part to get a better idea but that's not at the top of my priority at the mo.  I did mention your interest in a 1:48 set (are you scratch building or is there at 48th kit I've never heard of...?) and he's printed one of those as well.  I'll try and get a photo on here over the next few days to let you have a look.  The print quality isn't bad for a £200 printer but my workplace is just about to take possession of a sub-£3000 one in the next month so hopefully I'll get his stl file and see what the beast can produce.

Watch this space...... Exciting times ahead!!!!!

Hutch

22 hours ago, Hutch said:

I did mention your interest in a 1:48 set (are you scratch building or is there at 48th kit I've never heard of...?) and he's printed one of those as well.

It's a scratch-build project. My attempt to get the big beast off my mate failed so I'll do it in my usual 48th scale. I'll keep my eyes on this thread but my personal PC is deceased so in the dark virtually unless at a friend's.....

If you let me know how much posted to the UK I'll get the funds across by paypal.

8 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

It's a scratch-build project. My attempt to get the big beast off my mate failed so I'll do it in my usual 48th scale. I'll keep my eyes on this thread but my personal PC is deceased so in the dark virtually unless at a friend's.....

If you let me know how much posted to the UK I'll get the funds across by paypal.

There's still a lot of experimenting to do before they will be ready but as I'm down in Wiltshire the postage will be minimal.  If you carry on with the main build you can have the first 1:48 set off the printer; but only when I'm happy with them.  The size is spot on but the finish is still not good enough.  Hopefully the new machine at work, when I can get my hands on it, will sort it...

Hutch

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...