Very flares from an old newbie in Cornwall

Leo9

Why distress? Because I just know I'll be needing help so am getting the signal in early.

Greetings to all!

I'm a retired old codger returning to modelling after a break of fifty years: until the lure of cars, girls, higher education, work, career, marriage and other such delights distracted me I was an avid Airfix modeller in my tweens and teens: Hood, KGV, Enterprise, Baltimore stick out in my memory but there were others from Aurora and Revell (IIRC) as well as numerous aircraft from Storch to Sunderland. I concentrated on WW2 as that's when my father and most of my other known relatives served (and had their lives shaped by). I also had the privilege as a "yoof" of meeting Ted Briggs the Hood survivor so my links are significant. To me anyway.

Despite the usual handicaps of the elderly - fingers of butter, fists of ham, brains of mush, eyes of rheum, arms of ague, back of twinges etc. etc. - I've set myself a big project for the future so as to keep myself interested. As a widower without children I find I need a little extra to wake up to and I've renovated and decorated quite enough houses now. Even the car has received upgrades enough. So, having plumped on the scale of 1:350 which fits nicely in a living-room alcove for which I already have the shelves, I have ambitions to build 4 major battleships: Hood, Tirpitz, Yamato and Iowa. They'll eventually be displayed as waterline models actually at sea under acrylic.  1:200 called but the choice is too limited, the size to hard to accommodate and the supplier too inaccurate so needing too much remedial work. 

I look forward to communicating with, and learning from, the gifted individuals whose magnificent efforts I've been reading about for the last few weeks while deciding what I'd like to try and do and then plucking up the courage to go public and join up.  BTW I live commuting distance from Plymouth so would enjoy eventually meeting up with any likeminded souls in Devon & Cornwall who don't mind sharing their experiences and showing their constructions.

Best regards and a warm Ahoy Shipmates!

Leo

Edited by Leo9
typo corrections
  • Like 1

Hi Leo9, welcome aboard and I am sure you'll find all things modelling a lot different from your teens!

I'm also from down in Cornwall (just outside Padstow - when I'm not away at work) and about to embark on building my first ship for quite some years so maybe we can compare notes and if time permits meet up?

I know there are some ace ship modellers in the county but they all seem to be way out west and meet at IPMS West Cornwall in Hayle, I drive miles to get to work so the last thing I want to do is climb in the car for a couple of hours to get to the meetings!

The guys in the Maritime section of Britmodeller seem a friendly bunch so I'm counting on their sage advice once I get started.

Happy to get PM's and looking forward to seeing you get started. Have you decided on which one will be first?

Dave

Thanks for the welcome, folks!  :bye:

@Gooney - yeah, I noticed in my previous weeks of browsing the substantial number of "2nd childhooders". Good to be among one's own, eh?

@dave - greetings neighbour!  Shame about the commute to Hayle: too much, I agree. Luckily Plymouth is nearer (for me at least) when face-to-face tuition etc. becomes due.

Sure, it'd be a pleasure to compare notes once work has begun, I'll be happy to PM you in due course, please do likewise. I think I'll begin with the Mighty Hood, it's the one I have the most intel about and the most guidance, plus it's already in Waterline format so less work. Not that I'm afraid of Dremeling, mind, I've been doing it for over 30 years!  I've been astonished at how much assorted useful kit I've been able to find while trawling through the garage etc. for suitable tools - helpful to the pocket before splurging on new scalpels, nippers, tweezers, files, sanders, drills and so forth.

Cheers!

Leo

• Like 1

Welcome Leo, it's nice to see an old modeller come back to the hobby. It's been my hobby since I was 8 - I'm 55 now 🤗

I have built the odd maritime kit now and again, and would love to have space, time and money for a few 1/200 scale ships, but enjoy your comeback.👍

Welcome Leo from another old boy ! . My main interest is 1/32 WW II aircraft but I`ve built a few ships also . Three Revel in 1/72nd and

five plank on frame in 1/64th . My problem is my hands are not too steady these days and tying on those ratlines with a pair of tweezers

in each hand is beyond me now ( sob ) , otherwise I`d like to build another one or two PoF .

Don .