Brush painting clear acrylic problem

Walter

Hello everyone, new to this forum. I have a question that I hope some of you can help me with. I am using Mr Hobby color acrylic paints and am having difficulty brushing on Mr Hobby clear acrylic as a final coat.  What is happening is when I brush on the clear I notice it reacting to my paints almost immediately. It's frustrating because it ruins my paint work. If I apply a little too much the colour actually starts to run. 

I've tried diluting the clear with water but I think that makes it worse. The best technique so far is to brush once  and quickly other than this method  I'm at a loss. TIA

Hello and welcome.

I've never used these specific paints but just to help other respondents, how much drying / curing time have you been allowing for the base coat before you add the clear coat?

Also when you answer that question can I suggest you repost this in the specific paint problems forum, which is here?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/16-paint/

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

It should, and always has for me but then I've never used this specific brand. Is this a water-based odourless polymer type of acrylic, or a solvent based type of acrylic similar to Tamiya? And what are you thinning it with?

A polymer type water-based acrylic is an irreversible reaction when it goes off, and the chemistry does not permit another layer of water to soften the previous layer. - unlike solvent=based paints such as oil paints or cellulose paints. So I suspect there is another solvent in play here somehow.

Examples of the water-based acrylics with which I've never had the slightest such problem - Xtracrylics, Revell Aqua, PollyScale, Aeromaster Warbird Colours, Games Workshop's Citadel range.

It is the same as Tamiya acrylic, so without additions like retarders, the fresh coat can easily reactivate and pull up the previous coat when brush painting. 

I would advise either going through the rigmarole of using an acrylic paint retarder, using a different acrylic paint (model master, revell, humbrol, etc) or enamels when brushing.

Edited by sapperastro