Catch 22 - for B25 buffs

CasualModel98

Name of show? I swear the bell is ringing in my head, but it seems the hunchback is out for lunch right now...

[EDIT]- It's in the title. I did mention the hunchback right? 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

I watched it back in May when it was released and thoroughly enjoyed it, more so than the movie adaptation from the 70s which I found a bit camp.

I love the book, but I watched about three episodes and gave it up, it was a truly terrible adaptation in my opinion.

Selwyn

• Like 1

I enjoyed it far more than the movie, and the book. Probably, because the book and movie timeline jumped around so much

I have to say too, that the base looked fantastic, the set dressing and attention to detail was incredible (says the bloke who’s never seen a real WW2 base😀)

• Like 1

Judging by the posted photo, the studio must have used a couple of barrels of salt to do the weathering! (Yossarian and I both have something in common- we are both Armenian!) 😜

Mike

• Like 2

The B-25s passed through Duxford July 2018 on their way to or from Sardinia (I think that's where they filmed it) and I have a photo of one that looks exactly like that. Not sure I can post it here because of copyright.

I enjoyed Catch-22 a lot - watched it on Channel 4 recently. 

Mark

@72modeler, Yossarian was Assyrian; not Armenian. It has been some time(long time) since I read the book; but, do remember that bit. My old friend, Mike, a former Marine(door gunner and crew chief) and participant in the SE Asian War Games(1969-1972); was a big fan of the book. He was a big fan of "Major Major Major Major", etc. He lent me his copy to read. It is a funny; and very good book.

7 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

@72modeler, Yossarian was Assyrian; not Armenian. It has been some time(long time) since I read the book; but, do remember that bit. My old friend, Mike, a former Marine(door gunner and crew chief) and participant in the SE Asian War Games(1969-1972); was a big fan of the book. He was a big fan of "Major Major Major Major", etc. He lent me his copy to read. It is a funny; and very good book.

Both of the Yossarians I have  known were Armenian, and I have read that the character named Yossarian in the novel Catch 22 was based on one of Heller's Assyrian colleagues named Yohannon. Heller was a USAAF fighter pilot in WW2 in the MTO.

Mike

• Like 1

Wikipedia's biography has him as a bombardier on B-25s of the 488th BS 340th BG, consistent with Yossarian's trade.

• Like 1

Look for the book, "The Bridgebusters - The True Story of the Catch-22 Bomb Wing" by Thomas McKelvey Cleaver.  Gives the straight poop.  Its available from Amazon.

Later,

Dave

I stand corrected! That sound you hear is me wiping the egg from my face- B-25 bombardier it is, then! Thanks for correcting my misinformed post- should have looked at more than the one written reference I  saw that listed his service.

Mike

@72modeler, Mike, I won't argue; this would make me look stupider than I am. I was just going by the book. And, yes, I do know the Armenians; in Lake County, Ill. and Kenosha and Racine Counties in Wis.; there are a lot here. There are two Churches in Waukegan, Ill.; that  are Armenian. And my step-daughter is Armenian; with a last name of Ovasapyan. Yes, a "yan" not an "ian". Her father's family was from Iran; they tended to spell with the "y" not the "i". Oh and an "Armenian Fest" is held in the Racine and Kenosha every year.

28 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

Oh and an "Armenian Fest" is held in the Racine and Kenosha every year.

Small world, JP! My father, the late Lt. Colonel, USAAF/USA, was born and raised in Racine! As the news will attest, Armenians are still repaying the Russians  for the atrocities committed against them during and after the 1917 revolution. One of our dearest military friends, also an Armenian, Jack Terzian, was a WW2 P-47 pilot and we were stationed together at Dyess AB; he was our family's insurance agent  after he retired from the service. BTW, going by your posts here on BM, I would daresay you are anything but stupid!

Mike