1/72 scratch build Hansa Brandenburg W 13

On 10/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, Torbjorn said:

One question about those decals: how does it work, do you prepare a bitmap or other image file and that’s it? How are the decals, thin and easy to work with? They certainly look good.

Ok, that was two questions :)

I sent a request to Arctic Decals and specified the size required. The Iron Crosses are easy to replicate as they are a standard form, but the letter and numerals are not in a regular type face so Mika made up his own type face - I specified the size.

The transfers are thin and robust and easy to work with. They are strong too: unfortunately I placed one set incorrectly on the fuselage and had to remove them and replace them - my fault, nothing to do with the transfers. When I removed the wronly placed set they came away very easily and did not tear or split.

P

• Like 3

I'd missed the last couple of posts but just caught up. She's looking great P! The jigs look pretty typical for one of your builds, I'd have a huge problem keeping them in place while adding the struts!

Ian

• Like 1

Evening All,

Thanks Stuart, Dennis, Greg, Jamie, Adrian, Torbjorn, Jon and Ian for the very kind and encouraging remarks - they have been most helpful recently as I have had a "down" period recently: I had to spend nearly a week away from home and when I returned I had little energy to do anything. So a project which should really have been finished by now has only moved forward a short amount. But the top wing is in place....

I started by sitting the upper wing on the card jigs as shown in the previous post. The forward interplane struts were fitted first: that proved to be a bit tricky because I could not see clearly under the top wing to get the exact length of the struts and then fit the ends into the location holes. In fact it took about 30 minutes to get each pair of struts into place. These were left to dry overnight with the card jigs in place to provide support:

49008522542_b0aba4bc7e_c.jpg

49008522617_1ca988ccc3_c.jpg

The paint pots were there to make sure that the upper wing remained in place while the glue set - the wing had a tendency to move out of alignment otherwise. Once the glue had set the problem ceased. The rear struts were be inserted one side at a time. As each pair was completed the card jig was removed - the rigid forward struts provided enough support for the rear struts to be left to set without further jigging:

49007778698_76397acb89_c.jpg

49008522422_49feee01cc_c.jpg

49008310101_c57f9ee125_c.jpg

I have now also added the cabane struts but forgot to photograph them before fixing into place. They consist of 20 x 30 thou strip at the upper end and thin wire at the bottom because the struts were steel tube with a sheet of thin steel wrapped around to give an aerofoil section. The lower parts of the cabane struts were left uncovered so as not to interfere with the exhausts of the engine - hence the plastic and wire combination. These too were more tricky than anticipated and therefore took longer to fit, further discouraging me from attempting to fit them and slowing everything down. Now these tasks are completed I am hoping to be able to add the ailerons, rudder, windscreen and other small details and rig the model and complete it in reasonable time. I have started a small base to mount it on - more later.

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 15

2 hours ago, pheonix said:

I have had a "down" period recently: I had to spend nearly a week away from home and when I returned I had little energy to do anything. So a project which should really have been finished by now has only moved forward a short amount. But the top wing is in place....

Sorry to hear that but i can only dream of doing something like this. Im just considering my first ever vacuform build now and that terrifies me to no end. I suffered a major mojo hit in ‘05 that lasted 10 years. Im afraid to take that kind of blow again. So i stay safe and build Injection moulded kits and mixed media stuff. I look at work like this and feel in awe knowing I probably won't ever do that.

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, pheonix said:

Thanks Stuart, Dennis, Greg, Jamie, Adrian, Torbjorn, Jon and Ian for the very kind and encouraging remarks - they have been most helpful recently as I have had a "down" period recently: I had to spend nearly a week away from home and when I returned I had little energy to do anything. So a project which should really have been finished by now has only moved forward a short amount. But the top wing is in place....

Slow? You’re running flank speed in my book 😛

• Like 2

Very fine work - craftsmanship!

I have been known to fabricate jigs for alignment peace of mind, but yours seem particularly efficient, elegant and effective.

Sorry to hear of your “down” period, but don’t add to it with any anxiety about your progress here - completely unwarranted!

g.

• Like 1

Thanks Greg for the encouragement - much appreciated. I am struggling a bit with the planned base - it has not quite worked as I had originally imagined so things have been delayed again! However I am hoping that with a small modification I can get the subject back on track and make some genuine progress in the next couple of days. My second project is moving forwards slowly - more on that in the appropriate post later.

P

• Like 3

Lovely!

I spoke with the guys at Arctic Decals in Telford and I will be commissioning a sheet of A-H naval coats-of-arms for the tails and correcting both the shape of the shield and the crown which are wrong on the Pegasus sheet. I just need to measure up and get the sizes.

Hopefully they will be added to their catalogue if there's enough interest.

Ian

• Like 2

My thanks to all of you who have dropped by and left positive comments. I am pleased to be able to report that I have now finished this one, including a base, but I am still not happy with the latter and will take some advice from members of my club on Saturday to see what I can do to improve it. I want to represent the concrete platform at the edge of the slipway and I have real problems representing such surfaces.

To complete the model I added the propellor, windscreen, bollards and bomb release gear on the front and rigged it with 40 SWG rolled copper wire. The base is hardbard attached to a wood frame with standard HO guage rail track. I will post some photos in the gallery and others in the RFI section with some historical notes later this evening.

49100878472_73c74abfb2_c.jpg

49100878422_89226226f9_c.jpg

49100681016_0bb2454433_c.jpg

49100878337_b0d5927ecd_c.jpg

49100646601_67e14fc32a_c.jpg

This has been an enjoyable build and I now have a type in my collection that I have wanted for some time.

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 11