1/72 Scratch build Caproni Ca 5

Evening All, 

I have been building this over the past few months: there is a build log in the under construction section if you are interested.

The Caproni Ca 5 was designed in 1917 as a replacement for the earlier successful Ca 3 series of aircraft. The Ca 5 was slightly larger than its predecessor and the early versions were powered by Fiat A 12 engines developing between 200 and 300 horse power. Radiators were fitted in front of the engine on the booms, but in the nose of the fuselage for the middle engine which was in a pusher configuration. Three engines were used because of the nature of the terrain, (most of the bombing raids had to pass over the Alps), and distances involved: a third engine gave both increased power and a better chance for the crew to return in the event of an engine malfunction. Later variants of the basic design were powered by Fiat, Isotta or Liberty engines which meant slight redesign of the nacelles, and in the case of the Liberty engined variants, the nose radiator was replaced by one mounted in front of the engine at the rear of the fuselage. Defensive armament consisted of a machine gun in the nose and one mounted on a platform above the engine in the fuselage and behind the top wing. Most of these machines were operated by the Italian Air Force but a small number was also supplied to the American Air Service where they were deployed over the Western Front. Plans to build 1500 machines of this type in the US were cancelled when peace resumed in 1918. The type was used with some success as a bomber from late 1917 and through 1918 and after the war it continued in service with the Italian air force until the mid 1920's. At least one machine was fitted with floats and Liberty engines but this was not delivered until 1919 and so did not see wartime service. Some machines were converted to air ambulances in the post war period - they could carry two stretcher cases, one in each nacelle behind the engines, and up to 4 sitting cases in the fuselage: the fuel tanks were reduced in size to accommodate the seats. In terms of overall performance the design was a little disappointing as it suffered from constant engine problems. The fuselage engine was difficult to cool, and all of the engines tended to have a low reliability because of the poor quality control in the engine factories in Italy. Production was also hampered by the lack of skilled workers to make these complex aircraft in Italy at that time, but the type earned respect from its crews for its rugged qualities and powers of endurance which made them well suited to the conditions in which they had to operate.

The use of three engines seemed to have established a trend for larger Italian and some German interwar designs as a large number of trimotors were built and used in this period and during WW2, making use of the advantages of this particular engine layout.

Here are the pictures - I hope that you like them.

48630735431_2ff9a3d5df_c.jpg

48630885427_97eda55910_c.jpg

48630381583_829b61caef_c.jpg

48630381498_9e76c8854b_c.jpg

48630734901_9ccab8ee20_c.jpg

48630381273_8a0c4d3d82_c.jpg

48630884592_552a5c356e_c.jpg

48630734546_5804b585c7_c.jpg

48630380828_edec088af3_c.jpg

48630733846_b2946a23a5_c.jpg

48630380688_4f6d6b1384_c.jpg

48630883597_b10d8998e9_c.jpg

48630734011_9b6748e4c6_c.jpg

48630380503_ebe41f4074_c.jpg

48630733876_b6fc946edd_c.jpg

As far as I am aware there is no kit of this aircraft type - so scratch building was my only option to add one to my collection.

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 29

Many thanks for the generous comments. I forgot to add in the write up above that this was built as part of a tribute GB to Des Delatorre, founder and original owner of http://ww1aircraftmodels.com website and an outstanding gifted modeller. If you have not visited the site but are interested in WW1 aircraft I strongly recommend having a look as the site welcomes modellers of all abilities.

The plans came from the internet: http://drawingdatabase.com/caproni-ca-5/  There are several sets of plans published but they all seem to be from the same original source.

P

Thanks Steve, but er no, the triplane is not on the horizon at the moment - that really would be a challenge!

Chris Peachment has built one - https://modelingmadness.com/review/w1/ity/peachca4.htm   - he had problems with wing sag as he used 20 thou card for the wings which was not thick enough. Still a cracking model though.

P

Further to my earlier comment. I also like the base. My Avro will probably end up sitting on something similar. If I might be so bold - I would suggest making some little chocks for the wheels. 

• Like 1

Jay: you are exceedingly generous in your remark - thank you.

Ian: thank you for the kind comment....no pressure on me then!!

My next build is a Hansa-Brandenburg W13 which is being posted in the current Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB on this site. I am excited about the opportunity to build a floaty thing and the H-B offers some simple challenges. It has been on my to do list for too long so this is an opportunity to rectify that problem. I really like the colourful Austro-Hungarian flying boats - more interesting than PC10 or PC12!

P