Mr.Color lacquer gloss black as primer for high shine Alclad

mirageiv

Hi guys

Has anybody had success using Mr.Color C002 gloss black as a primer for the Alclad high shine finishes? In particular I plan to use 'Polished Aluminium', 'Airframe Aluminium' just doesn't stick to anything in my experience and is extremely delicate. In the past I've had good finishes with enamel gloss blacks (much superior to Tamiya X-1 gloss black imho) such as Humbrol/Xtracolor etc...However I have noticed over time the black base starts to 'come through' again slightly if that makes sense, detracting quite a bit from the appearance when sprayed fresh which might be the enamel base slowly shifting under the Alclad over time as it cures out, I'm not sure really (just FYI I left the enamel gloss black base 5 or so days before Alclad on top). Hence my thinking Mr.Color Lacquer should fully cure out within a few days and not 'shift' under the Alclad. 

If you have, do the high shine finishes grip the Lacquer Mr.Color well or will masking be a problem? I do intend to mask over it if possible. Any other recommendations for primer will be helpful, I've tried Alclads own but I've never found it particularly shiny nor does it cure properly in my own experiments. 

Thanks for any help,

David

Edited by mirageiv

Hi David

i'm working on an all metal finished Ki-61 using Alclad II paints. As a primer i used Extreme Metal Black Primer AK and i masked the surfaces a lot of time without any kind of problem.

Before this i tried Alclad, Tamiya X-18 and K-Color black bases, but now i'm very satisfacted by AK product.

Two important rules; black base must be absolutely dry before using Alclads and use low adesive power tape to mask the models.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for the Mr. Color GX-2 Ueno Black. I used this as a base under AK Interactives Extreme metals and am very happy with its gloss black properties and the zing it brought out with the metallics. Spray it on nice and slow(ish) ‘almost thick’ so that the gloss black flows. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated! I was not aware of the GX-2 black so I'll give it a go. I did some test comparisons between Humbrol 21 gloss black and Mr.Color 002 black and the enamel gave a much superior shine, I'll see how the GX-2 compares. 

Cheers,

David 

I don't think your problem is with your choice of base. Alclad is just not the strongest of paints and will wear off with handling. I have switched from Alclad to AK Interactive's Xtreme Metal paints and find them much harder wearing. Masking them does not bring the terrors that masking over Alclad always did for me.

To answer your original question in my experience you should be fine to use the lacquer based Mr Color gloss black as a base for Alclad and Xtreme Metal (although I now use the AK Xtreme Metal Black Base as intended and also as a gloss black!).

Duncan B

• Like 1