Airfix Tomahawk IIB

Angus Tura

Patrice,

I wonder if you can accept this:

190627a Box

The reason I wonder is that I started it in the Sharkmouth GB. I think it's less than 25% complete but let me know.

I wanted the canopy open and have spent quite a bit of time sawing the windscreen and canopy apart and sanding the spine and quarterlight windows to let the canopy fit properly. I've also built up the canopy rails to support the canopy:

190721d Quarter Light Effort 2c

The glazing still needs some polishing. Otherwise the current state of play is this, albeit I'm going to replace the exhausts, seat and pitot with some after-market:

190808 Bits prepped up

I hope you'll think this is OK, but please let me know,

Thanks,

Alan

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So, having got this to the point above I found a big gap:

190802 Cockpit gap

I couldn't really live with this with the cockpit open, but didn't have any epoxy putty to deal with the problem. So it is now dealt with. I built up the floor to the sides and used the wings to guide a cocktail stick to shape the putty and then carved it back to fit with the fuselage :

190811a Cockpit gap-filling 1

190812 Cockpit gap-filling 2

Then a couple of sausages of magic-Sculpt to the fuselage and using the cockpit floor to shape those:

190816 Cockpit gap-filling 3 190816 Cockpit gap-filling 4

The clingfilm draped over the floor before taping on the fuselage stops the putty sticking together. Then plenty of carving and sanding and it's done:

190816 Cockpit gap-filling 5 190818 Cockpit gap-filling 6

What a kerfuffle!

Alan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a lot of work there in the interior,  are you sure that the floor went full width?  Some planes of this era didn't even have a floor,  e.g. Spitfire and Hurricane. 

One of these in the stash so interesting to know. 

Colin 

The floor of the P-40 was the top surface of the wing, so yes, it most definitely "went full width"!  I held together the parts on my 72nd kit, and there is a small gap.  I think I'll take a lazier approach.  There looks to be a slight gap in the wheel well between the canvas (bottom part) and top (top part) inboard also.  Perhaps I can kill both with one... something.

• 5 weeks later...

...pot of Magic-sculp!

Hello. Sorry I missed this activity on here. The floor was the top of the wing and there are many good photos showing the floor meeting the walls.

It turns out all that canopy polishing was futile. I trod on the canopy, which I had previously thinned out and polished, a little. Only so much that one of the little spikes on the canopy broke off. Nothing daunted I stuck it back on and smoothed it in and repolished the canopy and...

191020 Canopy blob

Or flipping blink, if you prefer. This mark seems to have got into the plastic itself and I can't get it out for love or money, or Tamiya compounds or a coat of AK Gauzy. Very annoying.

I'll get another one but it will need the same thinning-out/polishing.

Alan

Edited by Angus Tura
typo
  • Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...

More agony!

I got the quarter-light bits (I believe that is the correct terminology) painted read to stick on the quarter lights:

20191112 quarter lights wrong

...when my chum David (of this parish) pointed out to me that the colours are the wrong way round and that the edges between to colours should nearly certainly be soft. I remained calm, if less than civil. I think this one is rapidly heading for KUTA GB.

Angus (more bitter than ever) Tura. 

5 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

20191112 quarter lights wrong

The red one is a fuel tank, the second one which is yellow is a reservoir for radiator fluid. The P-40 had additional fuel tank fill points in the wing roots under doors. 
xmD4h0f.jpg

Eq1yYAw.jpg

AoB45Jz.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle