Sunderland III, RAAF 10 Sqn, Mountbatten, 1942

I may be biting off more than I can chew with other group builds going on, but I need an excuse to a least start her!

Going to be OOB with a bit of rigging and attempted weathering. I know that another window needs adding starboard at the front? Any other corrections to the kit may be suggested but probably won't be undertaken! Anyone know if the colour scheme is correct as a search on the 'net hasn't revealed this particular aircraft in photo's of the real thing?

DSC_0001

• Like 10

7 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

I know that another window needs adding starboard at the front? Any other corrections to the kit may be suggested but probably won't be undertaken! Anyone know if the colour scheme is correct as a search on the 'net hasn't revealed this particular aircraft in photo's of the real thing?

To be honest, if you are going to build OOB then exterior wise, the Porthole as you mention,

Scribing the Gouge Flap lines to the sides of fuselage, and if you're feeling that bit inclined,

filling in the porthole rings for the non opening portholes :D

If showing as a "Beached" or Moored aircraft, fill in the Bomb Truck slots, these were closed off by thin metal strips

when not in use.

Interior wise the flight deck is pretty much fictitious (exception being the Wireless station bulkhead)

but, if you're happy with what's in the kit? (I have both Italeri kits).

To your question on scheme as per Italeri instructions, then yes it is correct.

History per "Ocean Sentenial" Book

W3999 - 1st flight December 15 1941

TOC Pembroke Dock January 5 1942 - 10 (RAAF) Squadron

Lost on Operations  June 8 1942

There is no photo in Ocean Sentenial, but there is one in the Short Sunderland (Warpaint Series No.25),

on page 8 showing the scheme in question

Hope that helps you?

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hope that helps you?

Regards

Alan

Thanks for that Alan, thought you'd be along to help 😊

I've looked at other threads on the forum you've commented on, where I picked up on the potholes and other details. I'm not obsessive with details, but try to at least get some basics right.  Will watch with interest your SH build as I contemplated buying that kit but have read elsewhere it isn't the easiest of builds.

Happy birthday by the way.

Davey.

9 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Thanks for that Alan, thought you'd be along to help 😊

I've looked at other threads on the forum you've commented on, where I picked up on the potholes and other details. I'm not obsessive with details, but try to at least get some basics right.  Will watch with interest your SH build as I contemplated buying that kit but have read elsewhere it isn't the easiest of builds.

HI Davey, always happy to help - Yes I've read the same about the SH kit, we'll wait and see I guess ^_^

10 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Happy birthday by the way.

Thank you :D

Regards

Alan