Roden 1/72 Felixstowe

Rib tapes using an Edding paint pen! Who’d ha’ thought it?  Genius...

In one of my threads not too long ago JohnAero suggested applying ‘tapes’ using paint through a draughtsman’s pen; this looks to be the same idea but with a bit less faff. I must try it!

Jon

• Thanks 1

I bought a white paint pen a few years back to try this, but to be honest it's far easier to mask. If you have the correct size masking tape it gives you numerous attempts at getting them straight and parallel, whereas a pen is a one time shot at it. Often (with me) not accurate enough, and also not thin enough. My choice is still to mask.

Ian

• Like 3

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I bought a white paint pen a few years back to try this, but to be honest it's far easier to mask. If you have the correct size masking tape it gives you numerous attempts at getting them straight and parallel, whereas a pen is a one time shot at it. Often (with me) not accurate enough, and also not thin enough. My choice is still to mask.

Ian

Hi Limeypilot,

One thing I found quite quickly is the pen ink is not waterproof, so mistakes can simply be wiped away, the downside is the need to seal it before using washes. The pen is 0.9mm far thinner than anything I could mask and takes a fraction of the time compared to masking. I've masked on previous models but find it laborious and not easy to get them straight. The future is a pen for me!

• Like 3

Just catching up. The stripy look is very eye catching (well it was supposed to be wasn't it?) The undersides look good too - especially with the wash. Shame about the wing - and b..... annoying too, but as you write hopefully some pins will sort that out.

P

• Thanks 1

Just to show I am still progressing, broken wing now back on! The fella on the horse delayed me too but was fun and a real departure for me, he's currently trotting round the Figure Forum, what a strange land that is!

spacer.png

Engines now also together, really fiddly and tricky. the instructions are terrible and most parts don't fit but the overall look is I think good.

spacer.png

I shall be attending Telford tomorrow for the first time ever, not sure how I will recognize anybody from BM. If you see me I'm the one looking confused about buying figures or planes.. or maybe a WW1 tank..or...

• Like 10

Hi BB

I'm a late entrant on this GB, so playing catch-up!

Amazing plane and great kit, going well so best wishes for the rest of the build! And with the rigging - puts my rigging worries to shame!

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Cracking progress BB, glad you have the wing issue sorted and the engines together.  I have a stalled Rosen 72nd Bristol F2b and is being built with an exposed engine, it is very fiddly indeed, I was thinking of doing the HT leads but not sure now, this is what caused the stall. 

Keep up your great work.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

A little more progress on Sunday after a trip to Telford on Saturday. Engines mounted with minimal swearing...

spacer.png

My Telford purchases, I was a bit like a kid in a candy shop even though I don't need more kits..

spacer.png

Met a few people from BM @CedB, @Vulcanicity and @rob85 I think. Not much time as I was on the train, next year badges must be compulsory as that's the only way I'll recognise anyone.

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

A little more progress on Sunday after a trip to Telford on Saturday. Engines mounted with minimal swearing...

spacer.png

My Telford purchases, I was a bit like a kid in a candy shop even though I don't need more kits..

spacer.png

Met a few people from BM @CedB, @Vulcanicity and @rob85 I think. Not much time as I was on the train, next year badges must be compulsory as that's the only way I'll recognise anyone.

Who really needs more kits? But it reassuring to know that you will never run out.... in this life or the next in some cases! Did I really NEED another Eduard spitfire, or the bargain b-26 marauder? No! Did I need to then buy another liberator off eBay when I got back as I was annoyed I didn’t just get a mortgage out for the Eduard boxing? No! (It was w good price but was the minicraft boxing of strawberry B.I.T.I.C.H) but where’s the point in a hobby of you can’t spend the money you don’t have on it?

nice to meet you as well, always good to put faces to names! And your right about the badges.

the engines look great, some very nice work on a tricky model and scheme.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1