Roden 1/72 Felixstowe

13 hours ago, Worms said:

Cheers Jaime.....but I opened the box...it frightened me!!! 😮

Lots of us in that club I'm afraid !

Hopefully Neil will convince us it's doable so lots of other Felixstowes get built.

Great work so far

cheers Pat

• Like 3

Taken the plunge and removed the fuselage top to insert the wings, nothing that a bit of filler can't sort out.

They look to be sagging but hopefully more glue, struts and rigging will sort that in due course.

Also started to look at the top wing, long isn't it! Not sure it'll fit in my Ikea cabinet?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

I believe there is a 1 degree dihedral...not sure if that's from the centreline of the span (a) or from where the outer wing joins the centre section (b) but, this should give you an approximate measurement on the upper wing above the horizontal of;

(a) 3.5mm at the tip of the underside of the aileron or; (b), 3mm at the tip of the underside of the aileron.

Lower wing dihedral is the same 1 degree giving a measurement of

(a) 2.5mm at the underside of the wing tip or; (b), 2mm at the underside of the wing tip.

I was going to do mine to the (b) measurements as I believe the centre sections would be less likely to have a dihedral...but I could be wrong!

I just did some more checking, I now believe the centre sections were horizontal...no dihedral, so the dihedral is on the mainplanes only so (b) measurements are the way to go!

Edited by Worms
update
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Worms said:

Here's some excellent info on the Felixstowe for any potential builders!

Not my info, I found it on another site whilst Googling!

http://www.seawings.co.uk/F2Amangal.htm

Nick.

Wow, that's lots of useful info particularly for the rigging which otherwise would have just been copied from the box illustration. Hopefully the struts will help set up the dihedral, although I'll settle for horizontal if need be, just as long as they aren't drooping!

Neil

I doubt if the struts will help to be honest. It might mean separating the wings from the centre sections and filing a  slight chamfer where the main planes join and chocking the wing tips with appropriate bits of scrap....or make miniature turnbuckles and wind the bejasus out of the rigging wires 🤣

....as an edit....unless the lower wing support struts were what you meant?...might be able to  force the dihedal with those...or brass rod replacements!

Edited by Worms
Additional info
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi BB

Best to take the time and get the dihedral right. There are 2 diagonal struts between the hull and wing underside that need to be tweeked to get the angles right.

If you don’t know it yet, this kit will teach you patience young Padawan.😉

Regards Toby

Hi Toby,

Those diagonal struts will well and truly be tested!

Patience, well did this one for the last FB GB, nearly pushed me over the edge!

spacer.png

• Like 9

Just caught up with this build and will be following along. Nice start so far and don't worry about the rigging. As you know. It's all about planning, the rest is easy!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is looking really good so far :goodjob:

I built one of these when they first came out, and at that time Extra Tech did a nice PE set.  I'm not sure if it's still available, but I can recommend it if it is.  Unfortunately, you'll need two sets because of the extra gun position on this particular aircraft.  I found this out the hard way!

In fact, I've got a few parts left over which I'd be pleased to send you FOC if of interest.  There's certainly parts that you could use on the engines, if nothing else.

P1100111.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CliffB said:

This is looking really good so far :goodjob:

I built one of these when they first came out, and at that time Extra Tech did a nice PE set.  I'm not sure if it's still available, but I can recommend it if it is.  Unfortunately, you'll need two sets because of the extra gun position on this particular aircraft.  I found this out the hard way!

In fact, I've got a few parts left over which I'd be pleased to send you FOC if of interest.  There's certainly parts that you could use on the engines, if nothing else.

P1100111.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

thanks Cliff, but this one is strictly OOB, although I do have some Aeroclub scarf rings that may be used1 Yours looks great, is there a RFI somewhere on BM? Would like to see the rest,

Neil

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bristol boy said:

thanks Cliff, but this one is strictly OOB, although I do have some Aeroclub scarf rings that may be used1 Yours looks great, is there a RFI somewhere on BM? Would like to see the rest,

Neil

That's fine Neil - I quite understand.

Unfortunately there's no RFI, as it pre-dated my presence on Britmodeller.  In fact, the model itself fell victim to a house move last year so all I have left now are a couple of photos.  The one you've seen and this one:

P1100109.jpg

Even from here, I think you can see the lower wing droop!

I hope that the rest of your build continues to go well.

Cliff

• Like 9

11 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Things have turned stripey, lots of laborious masking but the result is ok, a little bit of bleeding here and there but nothing that can't be fixed. Onto green wings next.

Great stripes, Neil! Very well painted!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CliffB said:

That's fine Neil - I quite understand.

Unfortunately there's no RFI, as it pre-dated my presence on Britmodeller.  In fact, the model itself fell victim to a house move last year so all I have left now are a couple of photos.  The one you've seen and this one:

P1100109.jpg

Even from here, I think you can see the lower wing droop!

I hope that the rest of your build continues to go well.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, it looks great but how sad it got wrecked in a house move. The wing droop is a issue, I think Roden in their quest to make the wings as thin as possible went a bit far and made them so thin they even sag under their own weight!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bristol boy said:

The wing droop is a issue, I think Roden in their quest to make the wings as thin as possible went a bit far and made them so thin they even sag under their own weight!

Did this also happen with the real aircraft when it was resting on water, considering the huge size of the wings? Some aircraft with real large wingspans are known for having drooped wings when parked and the wings get into proper position when flying, due to lift.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update!

Wings painted green and underside linen, brush painted.

spacer.png

Decided the underside of the wings need something to add interest o looked for a way to add tapes without masking, found a white fine marker and drew them on!

spacer.png

Obviously a bit stark so oversprayed lightly with white and added a burnt sienna oil wash, happy with the result.

spacer.png

In the process of trying to get the dihedral right and the underside wing struts I managed to break the wing off! Some wire pins should sort it out.

spacer.png

More soon!

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

Decided the underside of the wings need something to add interest o looked for a way to add tapes without masking, found a white fine marker and drew them on!

New to me!  I’ll file that one away thank you very much.

Looking very nice.

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1