Roden 1/72 Felixstowe

I bought, then later sold, the 1/32nd WnW Duellists boxing but decided it's 3 foot wingspan would just be to much to store and/or display! All that rigging as well!

Hope it turns out OK, looking forward to seeing your build thread.

Davey. 

• Thanks 1

That's one heck of a lot of rigging! I will watch with interest as I hope to build my Roden Gotha GIV before long and might pick up the odd tip.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear BB

Take care when mounting the engines to the bottom wing. It is easy to put them on so the top wing is skew to the bottom wing.

Aims make nice squirly decals as well for this kit. I found Roden to be very helpful with spare parts and decals if you need them.

Regards Toby

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I doth my cap to you sir !

Many times I have looked at the picture on the box, then looked at the contents, and quickly put it down again. I can't wait to see this one come to life.

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear BB

Take care when mounting the engines to the bottom wing. It is easy to put them on so the top wing is skew to the bottom wing.

Aims make nice squirly decals as well for this kit. I found Roden to be very helpful with spare parts and decals if you need them.

Regards Toby

Hi Toby,

Thanks for the tip.

Going with the stripey red scheme using masking tape and rattle cans

Regards,

Neil

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I doth my cap to you sir !

Many times I have looked at the picture on the box, then looked at the contents, and quickly put it down again. I can't wait to see this one come to life.

cheers Pat

Thanks Jockney will try to do it justice, you don't have time for one of these anyway, don't you have a vacform flying boat to complete/

Neil

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Thanks Jockney will try to do it justice, you don't have time for one of these anyway, don't you have a vacform flying boat to complete/

Neil

Hi Neil

You are correct, I have my Blackburn Perth to resurrect, so I will need to start a build for it. 

Thanks for the reminder 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

Hi Neil,

Welcome to the GB! I praise your courage! I have the same kit in the stash, so I'll be following with great interest.

Good luck :)

Jaime

• Thanks 1

Some progress at last! I have to say that I am impressed by the detail that Roden have supplied with this kit, I've never tackled a kit by this manufacturer before.

The hull is basically together, bit of a gap at the front to be filled. There are some casting marks on the inside of the fuselage but they will not be seen once the 'lid' is on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

Completed the interior last night and put the lid on, not a lot can be seen.

spacer.png

The end needed filler to sort out the step and joint before the tailplane can be added.

spacer.png

Anyone who knows this kit will spot an obvious error, the lower wind should go on before the fuselage top, as the instructions show

spacer.png

I felt the wings would make creating the stripes on the fuselage unbelievably difficult, so they will be added later, I may live to regret that choice!

Next steps; add tail fin, spray white, add red stripes-simples!

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Worms said:

I too have this kit....I was thinking of adding it to the GB....probably just go with an OOB Airfix Sunderland now 😆

You can enter with the Felixstowe if you wish. There's no GB rule preventing multiple entries of the same kit or even the same kit and same colour scheme.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrlx said:

You can enter with the Felixstowe if you wish. There's no GB rule preventing multiple entries of the same kit or even the same kit and same colour scheme.

Cheers

Jaime

Cheers Jaime.....but I opened the box...it frightened me!!! 😮

• Haha 3

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:40 PM, jrlx said:

Looks good. Was the fit of parts good or did you have any problems?

Curious to see how you'll take care of the wings later.

Cheers

Jaime

No real problem with the parts fitting well, bit of filler needed at the front of the fuselage but that's about all.

I'm curious about how I'll deal with the wings too and am having second thoughts! Maybe I'll prise the lid up and slide them in after all; I've heard others say the wings tend to sag and being in two bits is not going to help.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

No real problem with the parts fitting well, bit of filler needed at the front of the fuselage but that's about all.

I'm curious about how I'll deal with the wings too and am having second thoughts! Maybe I'll prise the lid up and slide them in after all; I've heard others say the wings tend to sag and being in two bits is not going to help.

My initial thought was that you could split the centre lower wing section, add some holes and pinsfor strength, and slide them into the slots to re-join internally. But upon inspection of the part there's really not a lot of meat there to effect a strong pinned joint.

Could you replace the parts that go through the fuselage entirely with brass tube?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Howlindawg said:

My initial thought was that you could split the centre lower wing section, add some holes and pinsfor strength, and slide them into the slots to re-join internally. But upon inspection of the part there's really not a lot of meat there to effect a strong pinned joint.

Could you replace the parts that go through the fuselage entirely with brass tube?

I did think about that but the lower wing is very thin and I doubt my ability to drill any parts of it without splitting it. The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to take a step back and add the wing just as the kit instructions,

Neil

The only Roden kits I have built have very thin "scale" parts which can be a bit fragile and hard to fit to you will certainly need to think about the strength of the wing joint however you go about it.

Best of luck

Pete

• Haha 1