1958 - Lebanon Operation Blue Bat - LVTP-5

It's 1958 and the US Marines land in Lebanon on July 15th (until October 25th 1958) to start Peacekeeping duties. At this point I'm jsut a few months old. I shall try to depict a scene from images I'm collecting.

This kit was originally destined for a Vietnam scene but this GB came up and I though ...... Why not!

Finding a project that utilizes part of my existing Stash and fits the timeline for 1958 was'nt straight-forward as it was a relatively quiet yer otherwise.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Shermaniac. Good to see you’ve delved into the stash to find something suitable for this GB. I’m no armour guru by any stretch, however will take a keen interest in this build and the developments of this 1958 engagement. 

Cheers.. Dave

Normally I would be building the main hull & Turret first (I'm strange like that!) unfortunately, the construct of this beastie precludes that as the running gear is pinned between the inner and outer hull. I really do pick 'em.

So, I have had to start at the end by painting the main elements. Undercoat is Stynylrez Sage Green

spacer.png

The unusual track comes as Link & Length. Undercoat is Stynylrez Black

spacer.png

Just waiting a suitable amount of time before I add the top coat to the lower hull and running gear.

TTFN

• Like 2

"The 1958 Lebanon crisis was a Lebanese political crisis caused by political and religious tensions in the country that included a U.S. military intervention. The intervention lasted for around three months until President Camille Chamoun, who had requested the assistance, completed his term as president of Lebanon." (Wikipedia)

And now, having turned off the machinations of 'That Place' it was back upstairs to lay down a top coat so I can start assembly sometime tomorrow.

Top Coat: Badger ModelFlex 16-102 Forest Green (cut by 20% with regular Tapolene)

A full array of the sprues in my spray booth after painting (except the track).

spacer.png

The 2 huge sides which form the suspension cover as well.

spacer.png

The Hull top is almost a foot long (I'll do proper measurements once this is built).

spacer.png

I shall allow this to cook-off and harden overnight.

Tune in again for the next episode 🤪

• Like 3

Today is Track day (well, one of them) but, it's the running gear assembly first'ish!

Mind you....... A mix of (all Vallejo) Model Air Black, Model Wash Dark Rust & Oiled Earth, Metal Color Steel & Gunmetal mashed together and scrubbed onto the pre-undercoated track. Left for about 20 mins then drybrushed with a clean brush to bring up a metallic sheen.

spacer.png

More Vallejo next: Dark Rubber & Matt Black mix then brush painted onto the wheels.

Then, once dry, assemble the running gear and fix to the lower hull side.

spacer.png

One minor issue with the instructions is..... where does one part end and the next actually start.

No markers, especially with part S5 so, some counting is needed. I'll post the results next time!

spacer.png

I have loose fixed the left side to align the running gear (it is not glued) so that I can later install the link & length track.

spacer.png

Calling it a night as I have some tidying up to do for Build Club tomorrow.

TTFN

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks a trifle tricky, however it’s all coming together rather nicely. That’s a real beast of armoured vehicle, must have been huge.

Cheers.. Dave 

This model is slightly larger that your average house brick at L10" x W4" x (roughly) H3"

I shall not be rushing this but I do have a deadline as you know.

• Like 1

So, 4 hours of Build Club, chat, jokes, nostalgic music and Donuts - what more is there! (Don't answer that!)

The track is ON, on 1 side at least. A bit snug but definitely ON!

Needs a while now to cure a bit.

spacer.png

Engine cover plate - 14 pieces in total, with the lift eyes. As you can see here, one of the grab rails has escaped (broke off).

spacer.png

I chopped off the existing rail and fabricated a couple out of 0.6mm brass rod - best to do both, then they look the same - too replace just the one is a No-No!

spacer.png

Track on and fixed, side fitted properly (even used superglue this time).

Also fitted the Front and Rear hull plates, all square.

spacer.png

Next task on this one is, the other track and Hull side piece.

Tea-Time now ..... Ta Taaa!

• Like 5

And...... it's another day.

Over we go to the other side and more Running Gear - another 9 Bogie Units!

spacer.png

Turns out I don't need to go nuts painting the return rollers - they can't be seen DOH! :wall:

spacer.png

WooHoo! Both track runs are done :yahoo:

spacer.png

And, I managed to get the last side of the vehicle added...... without, any major disasters!

All taped down until dry.

spacer.png

From this point on, I may tinker with this to do a rudementary interior (or not) :mental::fingerscrossed:

As it's due to rain tomorrow :hmmm:you never know!

• Like 4

On 9/8/2019 at 3:59 AM, Shermaniac said:

So, 4 hours of Build Club, chat, jokes, nostalgic music and Donuts - what more is there! (Don't answer that!)

More Doughnuts of course!! 

Nice progress and sounds like the you have a good time at the club, although you'd hardly think its plastic bashing you're doing?

Cheers.. Dave 

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

More Doughnuts of course!! 

Nice progress and sounds like the you have a good time at the club, although you'd hardly think its plastic bashing you're doing?

Cheers.. Dave 

You'd be surprised Dave, ask SleeperService

We get quite a bit done as much of the time we're listening whilst others talk.

• Like 1

Well, it's been a few days, sorry about that but stuff gets in the way....

OK, so I added the engine deck cover to the Hull Roof in the hope that it will help to straighten it out.

spacer.png

As previously promised, I have started a rudementary interior using some 20thou Plasticard I had lying around and some Plastruct Rods.

spacer.png

A bit more detail to come once I have scaled from the limited images I have available.

spacer.png

This interior is a faximilie of what I can glean from a real vehicle and make no asssertions as to it's accuracy.

spacer.png

Once buttoned up, only the super-nerd will notice.

More later.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Shermaniac said:

Once buttoned up, only the super-nerd will notice

Well it won't be me, although I've been called far worse things in the past! The internals look good and it's nice to see this thing progress along. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

OK, and we're back!

Large Hull Roof, lots of holes, thin areas so ........ Yep! it's warped a bit.

But first, I have to paint the interior.

spacer.png

Stynylrez White as Undercoat followed shortly thereafter by heavily thinned Vallejo Panzer Aces 344 White (German Winter Tanker)

spacer.png

And the rest of the interior was next.

spacer.png

Plenty of Superglue this time. A few parts to fill but, the Roof is on.

spacer.png

Oooooh! What the Butler Saw???

Not perfect but when it's done most will not be seen.

spacer.png

Leaving this overnight now to harden.

• Like 4

A bit more achieved today at our Build Club.

Lots of the smaller fiddly parts. Some filling done also.

Started with placing the upper hatches making sure they fit without issue.

spacer.png

Some gaps I hadn't noticed - Vallejo Plastic Filler - dry in 10 minutes.

Rear hook and Tow filling added also.

spacer.png

Forward ramp now fully attached and working.

spacer.png

All the upper Hull Doors now fit without issue.

Some fettling was necessary but, nothing drastic.

spacer.png

Pretty much all the standard fittings (excl. Boathooks) now added so ready for the final parts.

The external Roff locks - shall they be set as Open or Closed :hmmm:

spacer.png

Not bad for 4 hours. More tomorrow I think unless interrupted.

• Like 4

Well, tomorrow didn't happen so it has to be today.

Now that all (well, almost all) of the fiddly bits are attached it's time to have another undercoat to seal them.

First, tape up the running gear and track first.

spacer.png

And make sure you cover it all, you never know where the spray will wind up - no matter how careful you try to be.

spacer.png

Then, after about an hour, I resprayed the vehicle but (and this is an Ooops!) in Olive Green instead of Forest Green.

The Olive is lighter and brighter but it still 'looks right'.

spacer.png

My main source of reference for this project - though I am working with the cards dealt me in the kit.

spacer.png

Decals applied and, as references are somewhat limited, I shall apply a small 'license' to accommodate a plausible outcome.

spacer.png

It's clear that someone at AFV Club can't spell so some creative weathering will be needed.

spacer.png

Some hatches still need painting and adding to the upper hull but I shall now decide on how this will be presented.

Behold, the beginnings of a Base (EMA Heritage).

spacer.png

It's our weekday Build Club tomorrow and I have other bits too do so I shall return to this later.

TTFN :thumbsup:

• Like 5

It’s all coming together and I wouldn’t worry about the lighter green, looks like it’s blended in nicely with the original base colour. That display also base looks interesting as well.  I’m impressed by this overall build. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 9:22 AM, Shermaniac said:

You'd be surprised Dave, ask SleeperService

We get quite a bit done as much of the time we're listening whilst others talk.

True enough. Actually several of us are ex-HGV drivers so everybody gets to listen to us :D Strangely when I'm at build club it's ALDI's finest, when I'm not there cake, Tunnocks, donuts and other such delights make an appearance. Hmm......

Nice work on this Alan, keep plodding on. BTW your Current Projects list seems to be missing a few like about 300 :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, following and interesting period and a Chesty Cough I've managed a little on the base for this project.

The internal base dimension is 300mm x 165mm and Yes, the layout is against recommended fashion by being parallel with the long side.

spacer.png

The raised area is One-Fix Wilko Filler, the grey is Wilko Filler mixed to a thick slurry.

I also used Vallejo Grey Primer and Stynylrez Black Primer for the Tarmac finish.

spacer.png

This was done in between finalising several other projects (4 Figure Busts) in preparation for next Sundays Show at Southwell Racecourse (IPMS Newark/Lincoln)

• Like 2