***finished*** PBS Hawks

PhantomBigStu

Well I don’t have a kit yet, but sure that will change in the coming weeks, but I do have this corgi diecast and set of decals that I will be repainting into more authentic colours and converting it to wheels up mode, looking forwards to building either an raf or colonial kittyhawk, built the academy M which I scrapped due to that kits faults  in 2016, which was replaced by the Hasegawa N I built the end of last year though that was in USAAF markings, pics in this thread 

48628787968_d1584ae751_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

One assumes so though not being at all familiar with the kit I couldn’t 

Yea I seem to recall a review of it Stu,I built a Heller original for a GB a few years ago,builds well.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find a doner for the noseart so ordered some other decals for the N, also in need or a particular paint for both the 36 and 40N which will await till my next amazon order as its an add-on item, and ready to start the repaint of the diecast 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Decals on the kittyhawk IA and to my horror the fin flash is larger than standard and I don’t have any spare and not sure where i might find suitable ones, unless xtradecals p-40b flashes are larger than the Airfix I tried. might have to design and print my own. Also decals arrived for the kittyhawk IV 

48877033646_3a07fb49c8_b.jpg

48877617206_b2333f3643_b.jpg

48877033661_63a70d6605_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Printing my own fin flash proved unsuccessful, so carefully cut up spares and built up one up, though think it’s too tall so will have to carefully paint when I’ve replicated the other side. As for the other two I’ve not returned to them, the shade of grey I purchased proved inadequate but I discovered a forgotten shade of grey thats good enough at the back of the draw so not a major setback 

48959102501_dca2f9ac7b_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 4

That reddish brown actually looks (with my superficial Mk.I eyeball evaluation) in the ballpark.  If you dust down (whatever proper weathering/finish terminology) over these paints, it might work out just fine.  I feel your pain on that elevator trailing edge!

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

That reddish brown actually looks (with my superficial Mk.I eyeball evaluation) in the ballpark.  If you dust down (whatever proper weathering/finish terminology) over these paints, it might work out just fine.  I feel your pain on that elevator trailing edge!

Even redder in the flesh, an looking at profiles and builds its too much for me, remembered I have a little pot of revell aqua leather brown hanging around and added it, lighter and more redder than it appears in the pic, much better, just to touch up the undersides and sort the pilot and canopy out, likewise with the p-40, sorted out the interior green and added the azure rudder and the same stuff to sort. 

49028366036_5767db8ef1_b.jpg

• Like 1