P 40-N RNZAF Gloria Lyons 1/48

Greg Law

Ok last clear coat was a bit of a problem. Up to now the clear coats were perfect. This one must have been effected by the humidity. I think it was a bit higher yesterday. I ended up with a blotchy finish, but not too bad. 

Today I have paneled it and done the oils. Using Oilbrusher Olive green and Startship Filth. Biggest issue I had today was I went to cut one of the decals to get a better panel line as the decals didn't conform to the all that well.

I used a new tool I had bought and it made a bit of a mess of the cut. I had to paint the cut white. It will never be good. Live and learn I suppose. Fortunately these Oilbrushers dry a lot faster than the standard oils.  

This Is Gloria as she stands today. There is still a lot of small things to do for next week. And finally the flat coat. 

I think I have to weather the white strips they look a bit clean and add exhaust stains etc. 

Gloria image 9

• Like 4

I'm getting real close with this one. Only the tank to be added and a few minor bits. Then there is the dreaded flat coat. We have rain today so I might not risk it. I'm still haunted by what happened to the Me 262's when I flat coated them. The exhaust stain sprayed on ok this time so I'm pass that point of possible disaster.  These were quite dirty planes so it is heavier than I normally do. 

Anyway I'm 100% sure I'm going to make this deadline. Cross fingers that the flat coat goes well.

Well here is Gloria. All but finished. I had lots of last minute hiccups, partially with the drop tank install. Ended up doing a bit of a boggy job of it. This resulting in minor

damage here and there. I have only the aerial and the wing pilot tube to put on.  This image is done in real bad light so don't take to much from it. Tomorrow I will do the galley images. All I can say is I made the deadline.

I have done it as if she is on duty and has just landed back from patrol, so she's a bit grubby. 

By the way the decal blue is the same colour on all markings. It is just the light that makes it look different. 

Gloria image 10

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

She’s a real winner Greg.. nicely done mate. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave

She's 100% complete now. I lowered the canopy as you suggested.  I will do the Gallery images tomorrow morning. 

Well I finished it. As usual looks way better to me in reality than in the photos, so I'm happy with it. Looks like the canopy lifted on the right side after I glued it for the second time and I only noticed the aerial issue 

after I took the photos. I'm afraid the photos aren't that good. I will see if I can get better ones over the next few days. I had trouble with the light

Gloria finished  image 6

• Like 4