P 40-N RNZAF Gloria Lyons 1/48

Greg Law

This will be my second attempt at doing this P 40-N RNZAF Gloria Lyons 1/48 model. Last time I got distracted by some Zero's. This time there is no distraction here. 

Hopefully I will get it done.

It is a Hasegawa kit. 

I once had a RC plane I painted as it see below.

start P40-N

Gloria1

• Like 5

very nice!

I wonder if this is a scaled down version of the 1/32nd beasty (or it was scaled up to 1/32nd), either way it'll be a really nice model to build. I've only had a couple of very minor issues with mine.

One thing I've noticed in the shot of the sprue, there seems to be a faired indentation behind the exhausts on each side. On the N's it shouldn't be present, I think around the P-40K-5  or -10 (it have been the -1's, the K's used a more powerful version of the Allison engine) this was removed and the section behind the exhausts was smooth.

IMG_3401-M.jpg

This should be a simple thing to fix.

I do like the scheme you've chosen, looking forward to seeing this one built.

Thanks for that info Rich. That should only need filling. I think it is a case of Hasegawa using the same moulds for all the versions.

I will be picking up the kit today. So I will have a look when I get back. That was an old photo I took for the last GB it was in.

I've just withdrawn from all Group builds other than this one and the Frog one. 

This should take some of the stress off me that I have been feeling the last few days.

Hopefully I will get an old build finished over the weekend giving more time here. 

I start Gloria's cockpit tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Anyone Know what is the best colour to paint a RNZAF P-40N. At the moment I have Olive Drab and Neutual Grey.

I thought I would check as I have already made the mistake of painting the cockpit straight Tamiya cockpit green.

I will have to live with that as all the PE is done. For the rest eg. wheel wells I will add a bit of yellow. 

Has anyone got any suggestions on what I can do with the cockpit green. I'm thinking maybe a mist of green yellow mix. 

• Like 1

this is a quote from the IPMS article on interior colours of WWII aircraft, in this case Curtiss;

Unlike some other manufacturers (like Boeing), Curtiss painted their aircraft directly at the factory.

The cockpit of the P-40 was Curtiss Cockpit Green, which was the Berry Brothers' (a local paint vendor) approximation of Interior Green. Reportedly it was a little browner than Interior Green.

The scalloped cutouts inside the fuselage windows aft of the cockpits on P-40D to M models were usually painted the same as the camouflage colour. As the rear windows could be easily detached for re-painting, most field repaints were also performed this way. Earlier P-36 Hawk production practice and some photos of the early P-40D and Es indicate that Curtiss could initially have used a different colour for the cutouts. It could have been the same as the cockpit colour, but the author was not able to find any positive confirmation of this.

You need to do either custom mix for this or if you have an airbrush you can do as I did, paint her Interior Green then mist over some Olive Drab. If the Tamiya Int. Green is too bright/Green then OD will work nicely, just super thin it.

No one can really say you're wrong with whatever mix/method you end up using as the colour ended up varying so much with age even without exposure as well (not to mention how it changes on everyone monitor!!). 

Thanks guys. What I did was spray a thin mix of cockpit green and yellow green. Then quickly went over the PE with thinner on a cotton bud. 

This has helped a lot. It will darken up when I do the wash. I'm happy now.🙂

Ordered some resin exhausts today which should help the final look of the plane. 

I've ordered a  Mk.II Airfix kit plus PE and masks. I might do it as a double build. It will be a desert one to go with my Typhoon. 

Well, the Greg Law Hoodoo arrived this morning. I went to look at the top wing halves this morning. No wing halves could be found.

In fact sprue B seems to be missing. I know it was there as I can see the rudder in the kit photo I took for the Pacific GB. 

I'm thinking it might be in my P-40E kit. I think I had both open at the same time at one point.

Fortunately I didn't sell it in my kit reduction sale. I will have to wait till Tuesday to visit the farm again. 

In the mean time does anyone know if the P-40E B sprue is the same as in the P-40N kit. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, AFAIK the wing is the same for the whole 1/48 Hasegawa series.  And your scenario is exactly what I do- when I'm comparing stuff, wings or fuselages end up together in one box.  Makes it a bit confusing sometimes when, for example, I want to just look at the stock Airfix Spit PR XIX - Oops, this one just has a fuselage... and that looks like an ICM wing...

• Thanks 1

@Greg Law yeah I can confirm they are the same for all P-40 models. All the hasegawa kits use the same A, B, & C sprue sets, it's after that they change per model.

I've got a super cool Hasegawa database of all their 1/48th aircraft kits and all the sprue that each should have...... I know I'm sad!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I've got a super cool Hasegawa database of all their 1/48th aircraft kits and all the sprue that each should have...... I know I'm sad!

there is one online here

https://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/researchfeat.htm

which is handy for cursing Hasegawa for gating off bits that would be useful if you had the common boxing of a kit and didn't want to use their crappy decals... 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I'm back on the farm today. Had bad and good news on the missing 'B' sprue. The sprue wasn't in my 'E' kit as I had hoped. The good news is I found I had a third P-40 kit which was  a 'K' so I grabbed the 'B' sprue out of that. They don't call me two kit Greg for nothing.  

Seen it is so quiet here I will do a progress report.  

I now have the top wings on the bench. I have joined the fuselage halves and putted the joints.

Tomorrow is going to be taken up by a site visit to an Island in the harbor.  Hoping the weather will

be with me. I'm hoping to get to Greg's stage in a couple of days. 

On 04/09/2019 at 00:53, Greg Law said:

Anyone Know what is the best colour to paint a RNZAF P-40N. At the moment I have Olive Drab and Neutual Grey.

I thought I would check as I have already made the mistake of painting the cockpit straight Tamiya cockpit green.

I will have to live with that as all the PE is done. For the rest eg. wheel wells I will add a bit of yellow. 

Has anyone got any suggestions on what I can do with the cockpit green. I'm thinking maybe a mist of green yellow mix. 

HI Greg

spotted this in the RNZAF P-40 colours thread

On 11/01/2019 at 07:41, Pete M. said:

The NZ Sky Grey was not a grey colour, but was a greyer version of SKY Type S.

(NZ) Sky Grey:  BALM S13-907.   33B/293  (Fs.35352 -  RAF/FAA Sky Grey  Bs.631).  Although called a grey, it has a distinctly blue/green tone to it. Undersides on P-40, Ventura, Hudson, possibly Corsair, and code letters. 

nzsky_grey.jpg

My notes from my old (and unable to be updated website*). The colour is from a chip removed from P-40N NZ3220 'Gloria Lyons' which was repainted in the Foliage Green/NZ Sky Grey scheme.

The Foliage Green to all intents and purposes was the same as the Australian colour.

Cheers,

Pete M.🤔

Maybe @Pete M.  will pitch in,  but a look at the Ventura sheet says it's the same NZ3220.   

HTH

T

This is the next progress shot. Also I have shown the painted rear of the cockpit which is supposed to me Olive drab. It looks too brown to me.

It is a Mr Hobby Aqueus paint. 

You will note I have taken care of the exhaust and light issue. 

Gloria image 2

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I have shown the painted rear of the cockpit which is supposed to me Olive drab. It looks too brown to me.

A lot of Olive drabs have brown tone to them, it looks correct to me. However if it isn't you're expectation you can change the color. 

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...