P 40-N RNZAF Gloria Lyons 1/48

Greg Law

Not much today.  I did some cleaning up of the putty and had to add a bit more on the rear wing to fuselage joint. 

I'm continuing to make these minor reports so as to encourage me to keep the build moving every day.

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Not much today.  I did some cleaning up of the putty and had to add a bit more on the rear wing to fuselage joint. 

I'm continuing to make these minor reports so as to encourage me to keep the build moving every day.

That should keep the mojo ticking over Greg.

Any photos to post?

Yesterday I added the last bits before undercoating.  It is a hard call deciding the colour. I know the RNZAF P-40N's where a bit darker than the RAAF ones. 

I just realized I should mask and add the canopy first.

Todays progress has been the undercoat. I chose to go with the grey Mr Surfacer. I will need to give it a rub down with a Chucks cloth. I find that works well for flatting the paint finish.  I have done three planes at once. This will help my shelf of Doom a bit. 

Gloria still needs a bit of joint treatment by the looks of it, but not much. 

My painting area is getting unusable at the moment. Too much cat hair among other things. Makes painting very difficult at times, like today.... 

I thought I would put this image up showing the undercoat.  As you can see the exhaust issue has been taken care of.

I do need to rescribe the wing joint at the leading edge. Overall I'm quite happy with it for now. 

Gloria image 4

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

As this build has stalled long enough I will be doing some pre-shading on it today.

Decided to use a new technique.  I have painted the lower surfaces by doing different densities of paint. Ended up in a nice weathered look so far.

No point in showing it at the moment. 

Does anyone know the correct width of the white bands on Gloria Lyne or any of the RNZAF P-40's?

I have t o get this one moving now time is running short. I thought I would lay down an area of white

first then mask off the bands then paint the green.

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

“Does anyone know the correct width of the white bands on Gloria Lyne or any of the RNZAF P-40's?”

@LDSModeller may know the correct size of the bands. 

From previous research (yeah, can't find it for this question :hmmm:) the band width

is 6 inches (or 6 inch stroke) which is 3.1mm in 1/48th.

Hope that Helps?

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Progress today. Canopy is on, so I'm ready to paint the top surfaces. I have mixed up some Olive green and Olive drab to create I colour closer to what I think the RNZAF P40's were painted. 

This is just my own interpretation not any thing official. I have fixed the canopy with the Tamiya quick drying cement, so I hope it works. I will find out when I remove the mask I suppose. 

The mottle is just some pre-shading I'm trying. I need to touch up where I masked the cockpit when I painted the rear Of the cockpit.

Gloria image 5

• Like 4

Progress was small today. Put a second coat on the white tail and painted some parts I had missed when I did the lower surfaces. I should be able to mask for the top surface spraying on Friday. I like to give the white a few days to harden. 

• Like 1

It is looking like I might miss another deadline. I will do what I can, but I have a work project that is taking far to long and interfering with my planned modeling time. 

However, I will press on as much as I can.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The P40-N got it's dark olive green top surfaces today. I'm very happy with the effect I got out of the blotchy spray I did the other day. At the moment it is exactly as I had intended.  I just need to spray the canopy area again in the morning. I think I avoided it out of habit and the frames might not have enough paint on them. After that I will share an image of the progress.

• Like 1

Here is an update image. As you can see I have used a dark olive green mix. This is because the RNZAF was repainted like this. At least my interpretation of it. I expect it to lighten up with a matt coat. 

You will note the uneven finish. This was created by the mottle coat I did earlier. 

Next is the clear coat. 

Gloria image 6

• Like 4

This is the latest progress. The decals were generally good. However, the white in the wing markings seems a bit transparent and you can see the band through it.

Also the band behind the cockpit doesn't take into account the shape of the fuselage. As a result I got a bit of creasing in it. I will need to weather that a bit to hide

the crease. There is still some small decals to go on tomorrow.

Gloria image 7

• Like 5