ROCAF F-104G Starfighter Hasegawa/Eduard 1/48

Hi gang,

After announcing what my second build would be for the GB I thought it was time to actually make a proper post for it even if I won't start it for about a week until my F-7 is closer to the finish line.

I have chosen what I consider (and many others) to be one of the true icons of the Cold War, the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. When it comes to the 1980's in the geographic scope of this GB there are only two options open, namely either Japan or Taiwan. having built a JASDF F-104J a couple of years ago I decided that this build would be in the colours of the ROCAF (Republic Of China Air Force) and you can't really have a collection of F-104's without a ROCAF one in it as they operated every version of the F-104 with the exception of the C and F and scored the first ever kills for the type when 4 f-104's engaged a formation of PLAAF J-6's and Major Hu Shih-lin and Captain Shih Bei-puo each shot down one of the J-6's over the disputed island of Qemoy.

The kit I will be using is the Eduard NATO boxing of the venerable Hasegawa F-104G which comes with a couple of resin extras (basically just one each of the Martin Baker or Lockheed ejector seats) and a very nice decal sheet which will be of no use whatsoever for this build, here is a shot of the box top;

spacer.png

And the contents to prove that the plastic is as yet untouched;

spacer.png

A shot of the resin extras along with a couple of other resin bits I have that should find their way into the build and the etched fret that Eduard add to the box;

spacer.png

The lovely, but useless for this build, decal sheet;

spacer.png

And a look at the sheet I have ordered from Bestfong in Taiwan which should hopefully arrive in time;

spacer.png

I have used one of their sheets before when I built a ROCAF P-47N a few years ago and that sheet was of excellent quality so I have no doubt that these will be of the same quality, we shall see. I've had great service from them so far as the sheets I ordered were dispatched within 24 hours of placing the order and I was given a tracking number, which works!

Thanks for looking in and as usual any comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Who doesn't like a 104 ? Ive often considered one of these but the Samurai Starfighters keep drawing me back. 

Can't fault you for liking JASDF Starfighters Dennis, have you seen this upcoming book by one of our own?

There id also going to be a new decal sheet by Fundekals which looks good, it's not on their website yet but the author of the book is a friend of mine and he has shared some info with Fundekals who have sent him a sneaky peek of the schemes.

Just now, modelling minion said:

Can't fault you for liking JASDF Starfighters Dennis, have you seen this upcoming book by one of our own?

There id also going to be a new decal sheet by Fundekals which looks good, it's not on their website yet but the author of the book is a friend of mine and he has shared some info with Fundekals who have sent him a sneaky peek of the schemes.

Yes I'm a member of the AsianSirArms SIG. i got the advance notice last week in the newsletter. If i had a nice bank account I would have already ordered it. Sadly thats not the case, so will have to dream and hope he issue's more than the initial 100 copies. 

Dennis

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes I'm a member of the AsianSirArms SIG. i got the advance notice last week in the newsletter. If i had a nice bank account I would have already ordered it. Sadly thats not the case, so will have to dream and hope he issue's more than the initial 100 copies. 

Dennis

Forgot that you are also a member of the SIG Dennis.

There has been some great stuff in the newsletter recently, the articles on VNAF/VPAF F-5 operations by Mark Attrill ( our very own @Tiger331 ) were very good and made a VPAF F-5 a very close second choice for my next build with the F-104 winniing because one isn't being built by  anyone else.

• Like 1

Look what dropped through my letterbox toady;

spacer.png

Literally one week from ordering them they arrived safe and sound all the way from Taiwan, now that is what I call service! No excuses now for not getting her finished on time, better get my finger out and finish the F-7 then hadn't I.

• Like 6

Hi Craig. Wow! - that's a very impressive looking kit and those resin and PE extras will really make it a special build. Great looking scheme and great your decals have arrived! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Wow! - that's a very impressive looking kit and those resin and PE extras will really make it a special build. Great looking scheme and great your decals have arrived! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix,

It is a nice scheme and I'm really impressed with the look of the decals and the service from Bestfong has been great.

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice choice Craig. 

This is is a great boxing of the Hasegawa Starfighter. Will be watching with interest.

James

Thanks James,

Glad to have you on board. It is a nice kit and will be my 3rd Hasegawa Starfighter and will not be the last, although I'm very keen to see what the new Kinetic kit will look like.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Stix,

It is a nice scheme and I'm really impressed with the look of the decals and the service from Bestfong has been great.

Thanks James,

Glad to have you on board. It is a nice kit and will be my 3rd Hasegawa Starfighter and will not be the last, although I'm very keen to see what the new Kinetic kit will look like.

Thanks Craig

Im keen to see the Kinetic 104 also. I had a look on one of the Far Eastern kit sellers website a couple of days ago and at over £50 with postage I think I’ll wait for the big H to get some in. Hopefully shouldn’t be long now.

Looking forward to a progress report.

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Good choice Craig, and weird as it may seem I do like a Starfighter in camo colours.

That makes at least two of us then! I think it makes a difference from the expected natural metal or ADC grey.

Nearly finished the F-7 so hope to make a start over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been slowly plugging away at my F-104 and I'm still impressed by the Hasegawa mold and how good a build you can achieve OOTB. She is now very nearly ready to close the fuselage halves together so I though I had better show a couple of the in progress pics which have been taken over different days hence the differing light quality in the pics.

We will start with the cockpit and IP which are stock kit parts which have been painted and slightly weathered but have no additional parts added to them, first the cockpit tub;

spacer.png

And the instrument panel;

spacer.png

Whilst that was going on I have added the built up main undercarriage bay and added it to one of the fuselage halves, this is a quite nicely detailed area and really doesn't need much adding as the main gear doors cover most of it, I gave it a quick wash of very thin Revell anthracite just to show how the detail would show up and this is how it looks in situ;

spacer.png

The engine is also nicely detailed, especially as you can see none of it when it is installed in the fuselage so here is a shot of the afterburner ring and the rear of the engine before they were installed;

spacer.png

The actual exhaust nozzle has also been painted and given a bit of weathering but it may get more later, here is how it looks now;

spacer.png

An engine won't work without air so the intakes have been built up and added to their respective fuselage halves and they fitted very well indeed and just needed a light sanding to blend them in, here is what one looks like;

spacer.png

Next job will be to get the cockpit tub in place and the fuselage halves closed up which should hopefully happen over the course of the weekend.

Thats it for today so as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Fantastic work Craig, the cockpit looks excellent and I look forward to the SEA scheme on a F-104!

David you are far too kind as always, especially knowing what you can do with a Starfighter.

The build is slowly plodding along which is nothing to do with the kit and a lot to do with the amount of time (or rather the lack of) that I have been able to spend on it, hopefully I will be able to get some more pics up tomorrow.

• Like 1