Mohawk Mk III ***FINISHED 9/11/2019***

DaveyGair

I'm going to step cautiously into this one with what I hope will be a simple build (said that before!), just have hardly got any modelling done so far this year.

I have a few of the ' -'hawk' series but fancy doing this one. Haven't fully decided which scheme, erring towards the Green/ Dark Earth one, but I'll decide as I go.

The obligatory box and sprue shot's, hopefully should be getting going very soon, not child-minding Grandkid's this week! :yahoo:

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0005

• Like 7

Ooooh a Mohawk, You have my attention sir ! .... Ive been looking for one of these for a long time in either scale. It seems to be another 🦄 build of mine. I didn't know AZ made these ? Not that i can find any (AZ kits) in the states. Next time i place an order at Hannants i will have to pick up one or two. 

1 hour ago, Franz75 said:

hmmm,  nice choice. Kit is a short run, so it won't be a easy one. Which scheme you are planing to do?   

Probably one of the RAF one's but the French scheme is interesting 🤔

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ooooh a Mohawk, You have my attention sir ! .... Ive been looking for one of these for a long time in either scale. It seems to be another 🦄 build of mine. I didn't know AZ made these ? Not that i can find any (AZ kits) in the states. Next time i place an order at Hannants i will have to pick up one or two. 

I think they released different boxings, this is the only one Hannant's have at the moment and not many at that!  I think I got this from my LHS a year or two ago, but they do seem to have sold well.

Have done a bit today, along with tinkering with the RAF Phantom for the STGB currently going on.

The fuselage halves seem to marry up well together but the interior parts needed some test fitting to ensure they didn't allow the two halves to close properly, flash on all the parts seems to be the main problem, but nothing a bit of modelling won't cure!

Painted the interior and detail picked out, just got to do a bit of a dry brush, paint the map case a leather colour and add some belts (included as cut out paper parts on the instruction sheet).

The engine is in two parts and looks OK, will look better when painted and highlighted.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0004

• Like 2

Good evening DaveyGair

Ver;y good start I recommend you to do dry a lot of fitting testS before cementing any parts believe me you will need them ...

Enjoy your build ..

All the best

Patrice

Bit more done today.  Fuselage together, a lot of care needs to be taken to get both halves to match up as well as the interior, not too bad though.

The wings are different matter, needing much scraping with a blade and filing to get the trailing edges any where near scale thickness (thinness?). Also the wheel wells, while matching up to the holes quite well, need trimmed on top to clear the upper wing halves, some trimming of the said wing halves also need some trimming at the root. Leaving it to dry thoroughly before testing the fit to the fuselage, which didn't look great TBH.  Reminiscent of the 'Sword' Seafire and the 'Special Hobby' Tempest II wing fitting I expect, builds in previous GB's.

Test fitted the engine and cowling, looks OK, just a bit of 'modelling' required to help fettle into place.

DSC_0004 DSC_0003 DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0005 DSC_0007

• Like 5

The airframe is now together.

If you look at the previous photo's you'll see a gap at the bottom front of the fuselage, just before the cowling. This is due to the bulkhead pushing them apart. But don't trim the bulkhead as the engine looks to be a tight fit.  The main wing, after leaving to dry, didn't fit the fuselage but was better than being too narrow, leaving wing-root gaps. As it was I did a lot of filing and scraping to make good (ending up going through the soft plastic on one of the wings. Just a little filler needed here and there as shown. I think I removed an aileron trim tab by mistake but overall it's looking OK.

Tail planes were fitted after a bit of trimming around the joining faces, the rudder fitted OK after a little trimming of the tail itself.

Davey.

DSC_0004 DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Davey

Very good job so far ...

Good luck with the rest of this build ..

All the best

Patrice

Thanks Patrice, it just one of these kits that needs a bit of...… what's it called?...… modelling done to it! :winkgrin:

Davey.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We're back!  Decided to finish off my Phantom FG.1 build before carrying on with this.

So far today I've attached the engine and the cowling front, neither a particularly good fit. Busy blending in the join around the cowl which didn't match up that well to the fuselage halves in the end. It could of course just be me! 🙄

More to come, although I have started another short run kit over on the Seaplane and Flying Boat GB, a Sword Arado Ar-196, so will be swopping between the two.

Davey.

DSC_0011 DSC_0013 DSC_0014

• Like 5

15 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

We're back!  Decided to finish off my Phantom FG.1 build before carrying on with this.

So far today I've attached the engine and the cowling front, neither a particularly good fit. Busy blending in the join around the cowl which didn't match up that well to the fuselage halves in the end. It could of course just be me! 🙄

More to come, although I have started another short run kit over on the Seaplane and Flying Boat GB, a Sword Arado Ar-196, so will be swopping between the two.

Davey.

DSC_0011 DSC_0013 DSC_0014

Good morning Davey

Very good progress , don't worry I also had problems placing the engine cowling on the fuselage (among other issues .).

Keep up the good job you are doing ..

All the best

Patrice

Bit more done, sick of sanding and filling!  Ready for paint now, did an undercoat and had a few more seams to put right, not perfect but it'll do me.  

The glazing parts is not a good fit, some filing and sanding to get everything to at least look ok.

Still going for the Dark Earth/Dark Green scheme, with a medium sea grey undersurface, can't confirm if this is correct but I'll go with it, already sprayed the underside colour.

DSC_0010 DSC_0011 DSC_0012

• Like 4

Looking good. I built the AML kit in French colours, I think this might be the same plastic. I had similar issues to your, with the additional issue of a non-fitting vac canopy.

Your tidy-up work seems to be neater and quicker than mine.  The decals with my kit were terrible, they fell apart under no provocation and no matter how delicately managed, simply disintegrated.  My experience with AZ Models kits (the ones they produced themselves) have been very good, so hopefully your decals are from the AZ source rather than the AML one.

I always thought it odd that this kit was not offered in a Burma scheme: the Mohawk was an important and pretty effective plane there, able to out-turn the P-40.

On 10/8/2019 at 12:51 AM, Peter Lloyd said:

Looking good. I built the AML kit in French colours, I think this might be the same plastic. I had similar issues to your, with the additional issue of a non-fitting vac canopy.

Your tidy-up work seems to be neater and quicker than mine.  The decals with my kit were terrible, they fell apart under no provocation and no matter how delicately managed, simply disintegrated.  My experience with AZ Models kits (the ones they produced themselves) have been very good, so hopefully your decals are from the AZ source rather than the AML one.

I always thought it odd that this kit was not offered in a Burma scheme: the Mohawk was an important and pretty effective plane there, able to out-turn the P-40.

Thanks Peter. This is my first AZ kit, no indication on the decal sheet of the manufacturer.  The worst experience I've had with decal's are by Techmod, twice now. Sounds like you've had similar problems to those?

Davey.

Further update.  Got the decaling, final Gloss coat and then a few 'wafts' of Matt to flatten the finish down a bit. 

Still got the final few bits to do, Undercart, prop, guns etc, then she's done.  Think it looks quite neat in this basic RAF finish.

Davey.

DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0006 DSC_0007 DSC_0008 DSC_0009

• Like 7

• DaveyGair changed the title to Mohawk Mk III ***FINISHED 9/11/2019***

Well, this has taken a lot longer to get finished than anticipated, not in terms of hours spent on the model, just other 'stuff' going on.  

Anyway, here she is in all her glory, I think I spent A LOT more time doing the aerial wire than any other part of the build!

I haven't gone over the top with weathering, as usual it doesn't show up as much in the photo's as in real life. 

I stopped short of attempting the Ring and Bead gunsight which is quite prominent in a lot of photo's, apart from that it hasn't been an unpleasant experience and I'm quite satisfied with the result, always good to get another 'short run' type kit finished.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement along the way and to our host's overseeing this GB.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0004 DSC_0006

• Like 2