Masking putty, has anyone used any? Mig or AK?

Lightningboy2000

I've had some problems with using blue & white tac when rolling up for masking as I've personally found that both leave a residue.

Has anyone used either or both the Mig masking Putty or the AK masking putty? Are they the same product as I have noticed that they are differently priced online.

I've just seen a couple of reviews on youtube of the Mig putty & thought that it might be a better alternative to blutac or white tac.

Thanks

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin,

I have used Mig masking putty, don't know if its the same as the AK one.  One has to press it quite firmly on the model to make it stick, but I found it easier to use than blutac, does not leave any oily residue.

HTH,

Christian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive been using this for three years now with no residue.

https://acmoore.com/product/104148587/scotch-removable-adhesive-putty/614139?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=text&utm_content=paid&utm_campaign=googleshopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=SmartShopping&utm_network=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3LTw-Y_C5AIVzFuGCh1q3AT5EAkYASABEgKHU_D_BwE

I'm still using the same package that i opened then. It has no expiration as long as you store it in a plastic bag and keep it from drying out. 

Dennis

I use white glue to mask natural metal finishes - works on both acrylic and enamel metal paints . 

I believe it will work even for regular paints but do apply a gloss coat before hand for ease of lifting later . 

• 10 months later...

Only a year late for this thread but I followed @cger advice and bought some Mig Putty and very nice it is too. Yes it is far more expensive than Blu Tac but it is some much better and easier to use. No grease and no residue left behind, It was going onto complex shaped fairings so masking tape wasn't really possible. Highly recommended

• 2 years later...

Hello there

I've just got the AK masking putty and one thing that I've given it a go to mask wheel bays.

It's significantly faster than tape when dealing with complex shapes (as far as I'm concerned) and I've now let it rest one night and saw no sign of the putty contracting away from the surface.

52646435223_c89275fb95_b.jpg

Magic putty is cheaper than the modelling focused stuff, and is essentially the same stuff without the markup - I bought some online for a couple of quid :yes:

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried combining this product with Silly Putty?. I accidentally let a piece of the black colored masking putty come into contact with a piece and couldn't get them apart, so I kneaded them together. The result was a grey putty that seems to have better adhesion to the surface of painted plastic. My only complaint about the regular black colored putty is that it doesn't stick very well to a surface. I haven't done much more with the combined putty yet, but I'm inclined to experiment further with it.