Masking NMF with tamiya tape causing major issues

Basuroy

Ok folks , I have on hand a crippling issue to which I can find no solution. I recently started using Ak xtreme metal NMF paints - they are solvent based .  The paints are normally sprayed on a gloss black base and everything is fine until I have to mask them panels . 

My issue is not that the tape(thoroughly de - tacked on a fresh piece of cloth and not my skin lest it becomes contaminated with skin oil ) is pulling off any paint - rather it is that the tape is leaving glue residue on the paint that is impossible to remove then . There are two patterns I noticed-
1. Residue left is more when the underlying black base is AK's own enamel gloss black. I had allowed this enamel gloss to dry for 4/5 days and then the NMF to dry for another 7 days . So it is not a question of uncured paint.
2. Residue left is more on shades like aluminium than chrome . Infact the chrome was so well cured that there was no paint lift off and very very light glue residue . 
3. Residue was left even on NMF paint directly applied to bare plastic . Very light imprint but it was there. 

. I am well acquainted with the practice of reducing tack to the point that the tape barely has any adhesion left and it it still leaving significant amount of glue on the surface . Tape is original tamiya masking tape . I have also tried other kind of low tack tapes like the ones used to repair torn paper but to no avail . 

I am looking for an alternative to tamiya tape - some other technique or commercially available tape that you find works well for you .  

How long are you waiting for the paint to dry before laying down masking tape? My rule of thumb is not to mask until I can no longer smell paint on the model. Some enamels take longer to cure than others, and that may be the case with AK Xtreme Metal. But you could also have a bad or old batch of masking tape.

Edited by Space Ranger
Correct typos.

5 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

How long are you waiting for the paint to dry before laying down masking tape? My rule of thumb is not to mask until I can no longer smell paint on the model. Some enamels take longer to cure than others, and that may be the case with AK Xtreme Metal. But you could also have a bad or old batch of masking tape.

4 or 5 days for the black base and a week for the NMF. This was for a test I did .  I initially encountered this problem with active builds but even in those cases , I am sure I waited no less than 48 hours as a rule of thumb . 

I work in the sign industry and have recently tried low-tak application tape that is used as a carrier for cut vinyls. I have found it great to use especially for camo masks. Had great results to be honest, don't know if you have any local sign companies or graphics about but there is always ends of rolls that cant be used for much I'm sure they would let you have them. Although I am yet to try on a NMF model so would suggest testing on spare parts first

Darren

• Like 1

I often use post-it notes for masking when I’m very weary of paint lifting. It’s not ideal for all applications and areas, however it does come in handy. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Thanks folks for all the tips . Incidentally,  I realised that I had purchased a bottle of Humbrol Maskol and decided to do some tests with it - I let it remain on surface for upto 6 hours without any kind of damage . Will do another large scale test and see how that one turns out .