Badger 250 - Compatible Compresser or Just Get a New Kit?

KaityUK

I'm a recent returnee to modelling and never had a spray painter before.

I picked up a heavily reduced Badger 250 from a local craft shop that was closing down, but having come to use it, I have found that although the brush seems to be ok, the compressed air can system it uses is... well... pants! I should have realised this, because I used to work in a Maplin, and the compressed air cans we sold were a waste of money and time (only useful for one-off emergencies i.e. get dust out of a location, recovering a small item etc)

So I joined in this thread ...

...but thought that I ought to really start my own.

My question is this:-

a) do I stick with the Badger 250 and get a compressor to go with it? If so, which compressor?

or

b) just get an entirely new kit, and without breaking the bank, which one?

I found this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Voilamart-Air-Brush-Compressor-Airbrush-Kit-Dual-Action-Spray-Gun-0-3mm-Art-Set/223281100295

which appears to be a rebadged Expo AB605 (as mentioned in the other thread)

AFAIK, the Badger should be fine with any compressor with the right adaptors.  

What compressor will depend on budget,  and domestic situation.    A quiet one will let you work when you want, https://jonbryon.com/2018/06/19/on-increasing-productivity/

3. Get a silent compressor

This is the second very costly factor, but it’s made a huge difference. I do all my modelling in a dedicated room inside our house. I used to use a huge, extremely noisy (yet cheap) shop compressor; the kind you’d find in a car workshop. I could only airbrush when the kids were up and I had to give them warning.

Now I airbrush at any time of day – especially in the early hours of the morning – and no one notices.

though you can pick up a light industrial unit with a big airtank pretty cheaply, but they are incredibly noisy...(I typed this before re-reading Jon's blog).  though I suspect you'd get a lot of spraying out of a 30 litre airtank once filled , and great if you want to run air tools as well...

Fine if the noise is not a problem

Other people have sworn by using industrial bottles of CO2,   as used by pubs for pressurising beer, it's dry, almost silent,  and pretty cheap, though there is a deposit on the tank, and that's pretty big and heavy.   If you search, you will find thread on this on forums.

Others will know more,  or have otehr opinions,  the above are just some alternate ideas, which may help you refine your question.  from what I can see n modelling, if it works for you and get the results you want, it's "the right way"

HTH

T

Just some alternates I have read about.   

Hi 

I have a badger compressor, about £90, had it about 5 years, never had a problem. It needs an adapter to fit the hose( have a spare if you need it)  now have a harder & steenbeck airbrush which I run off the badger compressor, no problems.  Better to spend a bit of money and buy a good one.

20 hours ago, KaityUK said:

Silent seems to be the way forward,

Hi

If noise is a big factor, 

google "airbrush using co2" 

there is a waffly youtube which covers the main points,  the main ones for you is basically silent and dry air.

there are other

I then stuck "co2 suppliers stoke on trent" 

Plenty of places.   

Worth having a phone about and explain what you want,  and see if you can get the pressure valve.

I believe near silent compressor are expensive, and hiring a co2 cylinder is not that much,  you may need a deposit on the bottle.  Or if you go to a pub and are friendly, ask where theirs from.   A lot of places that supply gas will deliver and collect the empty one. 

HTH

Silent ones are relatively spendy, but non-silent ones are a heck of a lot quieter than big DIY type compressors that annoy neighbours and make one jump out of one's skin when it decides to kick in. Non-silent airbrush compressors would be too noisy to use in the living room with a significant other watching TV, but they're ok for most people to use in the house.

The only must-have for a compressor IMHO is a pressure regulator. A tank is nice, but a pressure regulated compressor will not pulse very much at all when set at a sensible pressure circa 15psi, because Engineering reasons (the restriction the regulator makes by virtue of doing its job in controlling discharge pressure damps the pulses out fairly well). If you do get one with a tank, a moisture trap is a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would steer clear of the cheap compressors, I purchased one and it didn't last, others have and they have been fine.

I have no conection with Air-craft.net only that I have had fantastic service from them,have a look at what's on offer compressor wise on their site, they have a large selection and prices to suit

I bought exactly the same set as you linked in your first post.  3 years later both the brush and compressor are running fine. 

The noise of the compressor makes conversing with someone across a room hard if its right beside you, but I wouldn't call it "loud".  Note that it doesn't have a pressure dial on it, just a "mode" button that shifts it between 3 levels of slightly louder or quieter.

I've had no issues at all with the brush.  It doesn't do incredibly fine detail but ot puts down smooth layers, which is all I've ever needed of it (I tried luftwaffe mottling once and that was a no-go). Its easy to disassemble and clean.  Just take good care of it as it probably won't have the durability of a big brand.

In short, it may not do everything, or be a precision piece of fine art equipment, but it works as a system.