TKS tankette

vaoinas

I'm having my StuG currently on a pause, so meanwhile I have another build on my workbench, which is a little TKS tankette. The thing is really tiny, only a spec bigger than a matchbox.

The kit is from IBG, which is currently the best one on the market over the RPM and Mirage kits. I also have Part aftermarket sets - both exterior and interior one, to add some detail to the vehicle, and ABER Hotchkiss M1914 barrel.

It's going together relatively well. I have added a great deal of Master Club rivets to the hull though - the front and rear glacis got them wrong and bottom had no rivets at all.

And the engine has been completed as well. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
Changed image URLs
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank You all for your kind words. 

It is indeed very small vehicle. But packed with a lots of fine details.

On 06/09/2019 at 14:55, Silenoz said:

Very nice, started the same project lately, but have to wait for the Part sets. Also want to try the PE tracks...

I considered these PE tracks myself, but I'm afraid the outcome would be too flat and unrealistic, so I decided to use plastic tracks instead. I only wish that Friul would come up with a set for TKS.

I've got a bit of progress to show as well. I've completed the steering and the pedal linkage. With such a small and detailed model everything is related to one another. So I really can't move on with the interior without having the fenders attached. And I cant glue the fenders on without having the suspension done. So I've moved from the interior to the exterior and am halfway there with the suspension now. The good thing with the Part sets are that they are not only to complement the model with a finer detail, but all the suspension has been built up like a real thing. Drive sprockets have been also replaced with the ones with a detail better defined. Had to have these on to align the return rollers and road wheels.

That's it for now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
Changed image URLs
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your comments and kind words.

I hope that lovely interior won't be hidden away for ever.

The top hatches will be left opened finally and as the roof is mostly hatches, the vehicle could almost be considered as convertible... or at least targa top.

But as of the progress the suspension has been completed. Except for the road wheels and return rollers, all the suspension has been replaced with the PART set. The assembly is very well detailed but fiddly thing to build.

Most of it turned out quite fine, only thing I'm not entirely happy with is the position of the idler wheel, which sits a bit too high, but It's difficult to fix now when everything is assembled. Hopefully the impression can be softened with the tracks later.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
Changed image URLs
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Thank you, f matthews.

Your finished TKS looks superb and proves, that the IBG kit builds into a very decent model without using PE as well.

1 hour ago, f matthews said:

Yes, but your PE work is stunning!

IMHO both of you have done stunning work. The PE is a work of art as is the finished build with the lovely groundwork and figure. Getting such a good result on such small vehicles is a real credit to you both.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, everybody! 

There's a little update to share on this little TKS.

Idler wheel sitting too high still bothered me too much, so I carefully detached the idlers and rebuilt the tensioning mechanism. This time I used kit parts, but had to clone these as one sprue containing needed details were missing in my kit.

Well, now the Idler sits about 1mm lower than before and seems much better.

The track of the IBG kit is wrong so much that I decided not to use it.  There is no good alternative out there so I decided to use tracks from RPM kit and due to the poor quality, had to source them from two separate kits. Tracks are molded in sections and are quite fiddly to assemble. Guide horns have to be cut thinner as well to fit wider IBG road wheels. On the photos the fit seems somewhat loose, but the track will be glued on the wheels eventually.

After sorting out the track problem, it was time to glue the fenders on. Part fenders were assembled earlier and they fit well.

This is how it looks at the moment. Now it's time to move on with the interior details.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
Changed image URLs
  • Like 8

Hi,

Thank you for the kind comments.

The interior concerning the lower hull is now mostly completed and ready to paint. Most of it went together without major issues. Only the ventilator belt detail on the Part side were 
a bit too large, so I decided to go with only the pulleys and add the belt later. 

It's pretty cramped in there, but most of the large details are dry fitted and can be removed to allow painting. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is how the hull looks when empty:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the engine disassembled:

spacer.png

And this is the whole thing laid down on the table.

spacer.png

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
Changed image URLs
  • Like 9