White Knight - Short Crusader: or ‘How to Build a Very, Very Fast Floatplane Very, Very Slowly’

OK, after an interlude for life’s daily crises..

Fin flash in B&W

49025556693_8bb42c10dc_b.jpg

All masked up ...

Flash!

Blue...

Flash!

Red ...

Flash!

Awake this morning, fingers crossed, gingerly peel ...

Flash!

... & reveal!

Flash!

And why all the fuss over this? Here it is with my (over-sprayed) thumbnail for scale ...

Flash!

And then time was up, morning circus commenced before I could remove all the wrapping. On the train to work now ..

(limited time so no personalised response to each of you above - a collective sincere thanks instead)

• Like 12

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Can you even make masks that small???

Short answer: no! My manual attempt was hilarious instance of hubris.

No, to achieve this, one needs ..

“laser”

”a laser!”

My office invested in an A3 laser cutter earlier this year.  I really don’t need it for my role, nevertheless I thought it might be useful if I set myself a training task! Laser cut tape ..

Useful, but a little bit too close to work - more time spent on the computer than working with my hands!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

well that's just .. 

life has been quite .. uncooperative .. this last fortnight.  I finally had an opportunity to pick this up again .. & dropped it.

starboard stabiliser snapped off again -

gouge back to raw resin through the white on the belly -

& another on the fin pulled the blue off the white -

so..

very..

demoralising..

49114065133_f151812023_z.jpg

• Sad 8

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2019 at 4:04 AM, pheonix said:

That is simultaneously sad and frustrating. I sincerely hope that it is repairable because it was looking super.....

P

Frustrating - yes. Repairable - let’s believe so!  First action after a fallow month: fix that starboard tailplane back on, ‘once more into the jig!’

Fix me

On 11/25/2019 at 4:49 AM, Moa said:

Bummer.

I have two divergent strategies when that happens: leave it alone for quite a while until the :angrysoapbox.sml:  passes, or get at it asap, thus avoiding indefinite consignment to the Twilight Zone.

We feel you, bro.

Sincere thanks for the empathy!  So I took a month to cool off - strategy 1? - but in the timescale of this project that’s more like strategy 2!

On 11/25/2019 at 5:56 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Greggles 

Sorry to hear about that. I am sure you will overcome this setback, at least it wasn't the lovely vertical Tail plane  and the Fin flash that got damaged. 

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, it was a close thing ... to have damaged the fin flash - no, doesn’t bear thinking about!

On 11/25/2019 at 7:01 AM, Courageous said:

Gutted for you Greggs. If it were me, I'd get straight back to it.

Stuart

ah, yes, Stuart, alas it seemed I didn’t have the guts for it!  Now full of Christmas fare, I’m feeling brave again!

On 11/25/2019 at 7:11 AM, DMC said:

Really sorry about this, Greg.  We all feel your pain.

Dennis

Thanks for the prompt support Dennis, sorry it’s taken so long to acknowledge.

Now that I have done so, & have presented evidence of remedial action on this project, I will happily set about reviewing all the other fine work in this group build ..

Thanks again,

g.

• Like 6

.. oh, & @Moa I can recommend a third strategy to add to your two offered above.  A strategy I fell into, but I suspect I’m not the first - add to the stash!

No new purchases in many, many months, but now a flush of chance finds.  If you can forgive the scale, I think the subjects may meet your approval?

Heston Napier

Laird Solution

Twisty

And @DMC another Schneider Trophy racer..

Mmmm

• Like 5

On 12/27/2019 at 4:03 AM, greggles.w said:

.. oh, & @Moa I can recommend a third strategy to add to your two offered above.  A strategy I fell into, but I suspect I’m not the first - add to the stash!

No new purchases in many, many months, but now a flush of chance finds.  If you can forgive the scale, I think the subjects may meet your approval?

Heston Napier

Laird Solution

Twisty

And @DMC another Schneider Trophy racer..

Mmmm

Ohhhhh....Ahhhhhh...

A vision from Heaven (if a 1/48 Heaven)!

I was surprised to find a box of something as arcane as the Payne Knight Twister.

An esoteric build!

Congratulations on them all!

• Thanks 1