White Knight - Short Crusader: or ‘How to Build a Very, Very Fast Floatplane Very, Very Slowly’

A quick one..

Life having got quite hectic this week .. but squeezed two near-midnight night sessions this week to spray / buff / spray & I think I’m calling that task done ..

48877330857_5337c81b4d_b.jpg

48877331202_43516db6e2_b.jpg

.. so next will to be to reinstate these rear cylinder cowls:

EB1B_zpshuynl6ja

They were fixed to the cowl subassembly long ago, on the (naive) expectation that they would just slip seamlessly over the tube-end of the assembled fuselage!

Here’s hoping I can find them all ..

ok, back to the rush-life

• Like 14

Modelling at midnight. Those of us with perhaps a little more time on their hands can’t really appreciate what it’s like to have to squeeze in their modelling sessions at midnight.  Bleary eyes don’t seem to have any effect on your modelling skills.  Nice work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, pheonix said:

cylinder cowls: I hope that you can find them all!

Well, there should be seven, I found five, of which four were serviceable.  Luckily I found the balsa buck over which they were made, so at least I can make some more.  That was a little demoralising, so to lift spirits I decided to fix on what I do have ...

4 of 7

4 of 7

On 10/11/2019 at 6:26 PM, DMC said:

Modelling at midnight. Those of us with perhaps a little more time on their hands can’t really appreciate what it’s like to have to squeeze in their modelling sessions at midnight.  

.. & it’s just in midnight again.  First day back at last school term tomorrow for our two,  so I’d best rest now in readiness for that!

• Like 13

So I’m creeping along .. working my way down & around the dial ..

48902924596_c8ebbd8dec_b.jpg

.. it’s taking me about a hour to fabricate each little missing cowl piece.  Mostly because I don’t have a permanently setup workspace.  I get all setup - including relocating the toaster - soften, plunge (or sort of drape & stretch down), whittle, carve, trim, test, sand, test & then fix it on .. & it’s time to pack up again!

Still, only one left to do, so one more evening should do it ..

48903131332_1f94f79628_b.jpg

48903130167_703f634bf0_b.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I can report some progress:

Additional replacement little rear-cylinder cowls fabricated, all fixed in place, requisite filling & fiddling, then masking.  I masked all ‘fabric’ white & left all ‘metal’ white exposed for a final coat, for blending in with the newly fitted cowls:

Rear cowlings in place!

... then after spraying I left the masking on while buffing with tiny bits of micromesh ...

Rear cowlings in place!

.. to give the ‘metal’ a shine in contrast to the ‘fabric’.

Today I finished that task & peeled off the masking.  The contrast in texture doesn’t photograph so well, but I guess that’s some measure of suitable subtlety?

Rear cowlings in place!

Rear cowlings in place!

Pilot Darstardly Dan suspiciously sticks his ‘malteser’ out the side, grumbling about the further obstructions to his forward view ... (enjoy it while you can Dan, before the cylinder helmets go on!!)

I, on the other hand, am pretty pleased to have those in place & for the subassemblies to have settled in together.

Rear cowlings in place!

List of tasks remaining getting ever shorter!

Rear cowlings in place!

Edited by greggles.w
  • Like 8

Gents, thanks for your kind words .. most appreciated.

An exhausting day on the domestic / parenting front today, so all at once I needed some quiet & orderly time working on this .. but nothing too taxing!

I chose to address the two CA fingerprints I left in the blue, back when joining the wings to fuselage. One up front & another annoyingly right behind the pilot’s headrest ... just where the eye is drawn.  I’d hoped they might buff back, but while improved, they definitely needed a top-up from another coat.  Now’s the time.

Anxious about overspray on white, I worked hard to mask it all up Here’s hoping it worked!

A moody photo through the wall of the Tupperware spray booth ...

The blues again ..,

‘tis well after midnight now, if I’m lucky there might be a chance to reveal in the morning before work.

Or, thinking now as I write, maybe I should maximise the return on my masking investment & adjust it to let me progress to painting the fin flash next ...

g’night!

• Like 8

Amazing work I hadn't caught up on for a bit. Having followed this from the start, I can do nothing but express my admiration for your skills & patience & to hope it will generate an accurate plastic one from the modelling gods, 1/72 would be my preference. :D

Steve.

• Thanks 1