Frog Blackburn Shark.

Evening Folk's,second build will be Blackburn's Shark also in pre war silver finish I'll be rigging this one and the Swordfish so I might 

try easyline if I can track some down.

20190825_195915

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one Steve

I want to know more about easyline so any light you can shed would be appreciated 

cheers Pat

Never used it pat I tend to use stretched sprue on the only two kits I've ever rigged!

Hi Pat

Presume that is E Z Line (American spelling of course). Having tried a sample pack I now have a 100ft spool which I seem to recall cost £10. As far as I am aware it comes in a couple of thicknesses and several colours. I used it on my Fairey Albacore, having previously used Pickaby invisible mending thread and stretched sprue. It is elastic and stretches a lot, but you have to be careful that it does not pull too much or it will come unglued. I have a selection of needles some shortened and some bent, to use and it threads easily enough though you need to keep the holes as small as practical so the glue gets a grip. I have only found two problems - getting the tension even as one run is a bit slack, and colouring it after application -paint seems to make it go slack initially though it does seem to tighten up a bit after a while.

DSC01055-crop

I drilled holes through the wings so it was easy to rig but a bit messy to clean up where it crossed over the top and bottom surfaces. Next time I might buy turnbuckles but as they are a bit expensive I will probably make them from fuse wire and see how that works. Never tried it myself but I gather using an accelerator with superglue makes it easier as you don't have to hold it in place for several minutes. That way it is supposedly possible to only drill part way into the wing and glue the end in, stretch it to the next point and repeat - bit like using stretched  sprue. Ok it is only a single bay biplane but I did the Applecore in just two runs of black thread, but then tried to paint it in dural which has not entirely worked.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Ps I actually went to the trouble of shadow shading it but you can't see much difference in the pic - perhaps that means it actually works.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Steve - you beat me to adding a Shark into this build my refugee from the Frog GB will appear at some time.

If you would like I can send you a couple of metres of black EZ-line to save you having to fork out for an entire reel. If says on th packaging""stretches 700%" so a metre might be nearer 2cm! only joking you will get enough for a Shark and/or Swordfish and more. Just PM if you want this,  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

Steve - you beat me to adding a Shark into this build my refugee from the Frog GB will appear at some time.

If you would like I can send you a couple of metres of black EZ-line to save you having to fork out for an entire reel. If says on th packaging""stretches 700%" so a metre might be nearer 2cm! only joking you will get enough for a Shark and/or Swordfish and more. Just PM if you want this,  

Glad your shark is going to make an appearance Paul another reference point for me😄

Hope Steve does not mind me sharing his PM question about EZ-Line here - better to "glue directly or drill holes?" as others might have more experience than me,

I tried both in my Moth build in the Frog GB. Directly gluing looked best but got extremely tedious as you had to hold the line for each point until ,you were 100% sure it had set. In he end I went for drilling but cleaning the holes afterwards did not go as well as I hoped.

• Like 2

Steve and Pat, 

I have a few "sample cards" with 6ft of EZ line on you are welcome to if you want to try, and like Paul can spare some from my 100' reel. I agree a thick glue would perhaps be better and the quick drying ones are the best if you are just "touch glueing". He is also right about clearing up the excess that loops over and under the wings if you drill all the way through. but it can be done with a combination of a razor blade and filler. Rather than continuing to intrude on Steve's thread send me a PM if you want more info.

• Like 1

Remember building this on Christmas Eve 1971, Horsham St. Faiths when my dad was at Neatishead , funny how I remember that but got no clue what I did an hour ago:huh:

Will look nice in silver, along with your Swordfish. FYI, I find Vallejo ModelAir Aluminium hand brushes as well at it Airbrushes.

I've used E-Z line to rig my WnW Camel, which had pre moulded 'dimples' to locate. I drilled a little further with a fine bit, just to help. A (tiny) splodge of Gel Superglue, hold just from the end with tweezers and use a cocktail stick to press in. Sometimes it ended up sticking to the cocktail stick, and sometimes, when doing the other end, it would spring away and stick where you didn't want it! but overall fairly satisfactory.  Along with the Uschi brand (in 3 finer thicknesses!) I use it for aerial wires on 1/72 aircraft, but haven't done a bi-plane in this scale yet!  

Davey.

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Remember building this on Christmas Eve 1971, Horsham St. Faiths when my dad was at Neatishead , funny how I remember that but got no clue what I did an hour ago:huh:

I'm exactly the same Davey,some old kits I can take back to a place and time over forty years,I was in a collectables shop in Whitby last week

and it was the same with some old Dinky cars I remembered the very ones from a box we used to play with at my first junior class which must have

been 1965,now sometimes I watch the adverts on TV and cant remember what programme there in the middle of!

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Another interesting choice for this GB.

Regarding EZ line, I've rigged my Tiger Moth (recently finished) with it. I also used Eduard's PE set of stretchers and control horns for 1/72 and medium-thickness CA for gluing the lines to the PE and some pre-drilled shallow holes. I glued one end, stretched the line and glued the other end. I didn't paint the lines. If you're interested, you can take a look at the finished product here. In the WIP thread you can see how I rigged the model from this post on.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great job Jaime thanks for the link,some food for thought there as I'm hoping to make a start next week.

Thanks, Steve. Bear in mind that my approach to rigging (not drilling holes through the wings and fuselage) does require a lot of patience to glue the lines in place. A fast drying CA glue would be the best choice for this.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi folk's day off today hoped to get a couple of hours in but not to be,I managed half an hour to clean up the fuselage sides and same

as the Swordfish busy up the cockpit.I cleaned up the wing sections glued them and they're drying nicely.

20190902_135425

• Like 4

Thanks Thom sadly all in vain I m going to have to call off this one I hadn't realised until assembling the wings there are parts missing which now makes sense as unusually even for the

Older kits I buy when I opened the box well over half  the parts were rattling around loose.I think someone may have started this one already.

• Sad 1

Hi Folk's sorry but as related above this one's a no go (not bad for week 1)! There are parts missing for the lower wing assembly

for the wings to be fitted as in flight,looking at the instructions in fact all the parts for the wings folded option are missing I suspect

someone has started this kit and when the vendor got it assumed they were present as I said the box was full of loose bits it's taken

me until now to realise.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Sorry to hear. Do you know which parts?

Hi Thom,there are two stubs that join the fuselage to the lower wings each with two parts,I only have the lower two you have a choice of

straight wing or folded for the upper part,all four are missing as is the folded wing part for the upper wing which I don't need so no issue

there.I'll box her up and see how the GB goes might get another kit if one comes along.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi Steve let me check my kit when I get home to see if the lower stub wings are present with the folded option as I have done mine wings out.  If they are a separate stub wing (I can't remember if they are or not) you're more than welcome to have any bits I don't need.  I will check this evening.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Steve let me check my kit when I get home to see if the lower stub wings are present with the folded option as I have done mine wings out.  If they are a separate stub wing (I can't remember if they are or not) you're more than welcome to have any bits I don't need.  I will check this evening.

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris many thanks I have a set of assembled wings on the way in the post,hopefully I may be able to restart.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi Chris many thanks I have a set of assembled wings on the way in the post,hopefully I may be able to restart.

Hi Steve

I have had a look and I have the tops of the lower wing stubs with the folded option but the fold tab could be cut off and the lower wing pinned to each of these.  If you need them let me know I will send them out to you.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1