Blohm und Voss BV 138 -The Flying Clog *****FINISHED*****

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

I didn't know that Pete, having just bought some. I'll do some experiments before I use it in anger. I guess I may have to stick to Winsor & Newton Matt Acrylic Varnish if I want a real matt finish.

Cheers,

Hi Charlie,

It may be the batch I bought many years ago but mine is certainly not as flat as the MS varnish I used before. Fine for mid to late war RAF, Luftwaffe and Japanese planes which reputedly had a slight sheen , though less than satin, but if you want a really flat finish you may well have to look elsewhere. At least it is not as prone to leave white powdery deposits like the MS stuff did where it puddled if you got it on a bit too thick.

Pete

• Thanks 1

All the small bits are now on and painted except for the pitot tube, which I would probably break whilst spraying, so that will go on last. May be a day or two before I can get chance to spray it, but it should be finished next week with any luck - pics then. Considering their age the decs went on fine and are not too thick, but once on they "stick like sh*t to an Army blanket" as my father used to say - I do sometimes wonder exactly what he got up to during the war besides repairing tanks in India and Burma! Perhaps they ate too many curries?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 1

On 29/11/2019 at 11:50, PeterB said:

This time of year the sun tends to give my pictures a yellowish tinge so I took this in the shade, but it is still not exactly how they look to the naked eye.

DSC02183-crop

The 115 was to my mind one of Matchbox's better kits and I built this in the late 1970's I believe. It was painted in Humbrol Authentic matt enamel shades RLM70/71 as I knew nothing about the 72/73 scheme then (and neither did many kit or paint manufacturers I suspect). Unlike my more recent builds it was never varnished which would probably have made it look slightly darker , and it has been subject to 40 years worth of pipe smoke in my study, as you can see by the state of the canopy. They are both very similar in length though the wingspan of the 115 is of course rather less than the 138.

As Adrian said the maritime colours are a lot bluer, as you would expect. Not sure which is the better colour scheme for over water - RLM72/73 or the FAA Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey. Obviously depends to some extent on where you are as I guess some "seas" are more green whilst others are more blue. The USN Sea Blue probably works better for the Pacific, and they went for a dark grey ove white scheme for the North Atlantic I believe, at least in some cases,.

Now thats a good way of showing thw contrast in RLM greens . I know its wrong for the 115 but the 70 / 71 scheme looks nicer to my eye .

Got my 72/73 half done and thats taken 6 painting sessions . Good idea for the out door pics too.

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 1

Hi Alistair,

When I used the same stretch of patio for my pics in the Frog build, Pat (Jockney) said it was a very rough runway😀!

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I will leave the spray to harden properly overnight then finish it off - if the weather forecast is correct for once it should be in the gallery in a couple of days. After an extended and delayed start due to other builds, it has come together fairly quickly.

Pete

• Like 1

And for Charlie and the rest of you here is a preview.

DSC02197-crop

Yes, all the "holes" are filled, and I am waiting for the Krystal Kleer windows in the side of the hull to dry. The props and spinners are in RLM70 black-green as per standard instructions, though I have seen pics of a black centre spinner, and various red/white spiral patterns. In spite of applying the decals on a gloss surface with MS Micro Set there is some silvering annoyingly but it will have to do. We will see what difference daylight makes to the colours. Must have been windy for the gunner in the open top position, particularly when he was raised up in the "observation" position shown in the kit instructions earlier.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 10

That looks really great Pete!

22 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Must of been windy for the gunner in the open top position

Did they ever shoot the tail I wonder? Maybe some interrupt mechanism to prevent such happenings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

That looks really great Pete!

Did they ever shoot the tail I wonder? Maybe some interrupt mechanism to prevent such happenings.

Good question. Oddly enough somewhere along the line, many years ago I managed to download this.

138 gun manual

It seems to be the official handbook for the various turrets and gun mounts (stande) fitted to the 138. Unfortunately I am struggling to translate the technical terms although it is only 53 years since I did a basic 1 year course intended to allow science students to read German documents with the aid of a dictionary! One of the things I found about the German language back then was that if they did not have an appropriate word for something, they "bolted together" a number of existing words to get something similar - the one that stuck in my mind was "Express train" which was rendered then as something like " fast train which does not stop" - I dare say they have got a better (and shorter) word for it by now. Unfortunately that makes it a bit harder to translate as the meanings can change a bit I think.

Anyway, in the section on the turrets I have come across an expression I am translating as fire safety switch or perhaps device, but of course that could just be the normal safety catch to stop the ruddy gun firing if you accidentally squeeze the trigger! If anybody out there is good at German and would like to try and translate it please PM me your email address - it is only a small file - about 9000KB. I am sure I have seen at least one modeller from that country on a thread somewhere but can't remember who they are - any ideas? It is the sort of odd information that interests me.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow

Hi Adrian,

Very good of you to say so but I bet your Empire conversion will be at least WOW!!!! as and when you finish it.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

The blue is difficult to photograph and this is a bit light, but it does show the underside quite well.

DSC02215-crop

Besides the bomb rack you can see the "windvane" like paddle balances outboard of the "K" which were mentioned earlier, and towards the rear of the hull you can see the small triangular object which I originally thought was a water rudder, but now think might be some sort of hydrofoil device to help with the water handling. If anybody knows what it really is I would be interested to know, Unfortunately, you can't see the 4 small circular porthole like windows in the side of the hull. I am now calling this finished and will post in the Gallery shortly.

It has had its moments but actually was quite an easy and enjoyable build. Thanks to Pat and the other admin guys for organising this GB.

Pete

• Like 6

• PeterB changed the title to Blohm und Voss BV 138 -The Flying Clog *****FINISHED*****

Very nice Pete, an excellent finish.

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

but now think might be some sort of hydrofoil device to help with the water handling.

It certainly looks like one, but it's quite small.

Look forward to seeing it in the gallery.

• Like 1

Hi Charlie,

Fellow Brit Modeller Steve Coombs who currently lives in Germany has had a look at the document and can find no mention of safety devices, so unless they had the same sort of metal guide frame or fairing (Lanc mid upper turret for example) seen on some British Aircraft, it seems there was nothing to prevent them shooting up their own plane in the heat of the moment. Nothing obvious in the pics I have seen but who knows? Incidentally the Xtracrylic Flat has come out quite matt but there is still a bit of a sheen, which is I believe correct in this instance.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

That makes 2 of us Greg. It came out better than I expected. Now I can concentrate on the 2 (at least) I have in the KUTA!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

That is super! I used to have this kit but sold it a couple of years ago when I decided that I had too many kits and not enough life left to build them! This is a type which has always fascinated me because of its odd shape - you have really made the clog look impressive. First class build and build log - both very enjoyable. I am off to have another look at those lovely photos.

P

• Thanks 1

Just looked at the finished 'Clog' in the gallery, looks great Pete. I think the paint finish you've achieved is excellent! And a very informative build thread as always.

• Thanks 1

Morning Pete

A great Flying Clog - well done.  I built this model as the mine sweeping version many years ago and it is still gathering dust and attention on the shelves.  It really is a funny brute and the guy at the back must have been really cold!  B&V put some really interesting shaped aircraft together in WW2 didn't they?

Some great details and modelling Pete, many thanks for sharing

Regards

Andrew

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/11/2019 at 19:14, PeterB said:

Hi Alistair,

When I used the same stretch of patio for my pics in the Frog build, Pat (Jockney) said it was a very rough runway😀!

Pete

Lovely job Pete

Your wall building is way better than your patio laying, however to return to the Clog !

Congratulations mate that looks the business. 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pat.

Can't take the credit for the patio - paid a builder to do that! It was a good GB you helped organise - pity you did not get chance to finish your Perth but life gets in the way sometimes.

Have a good Christmas and I will no doubt "see" you around.

Pete

• Thanks 1