Blohm und Voss BV 138 -The Flying Clog *****FINISHED*****

I have always liked both flying boats and floatplanes and have built a few over my 60 or so years modelling, so when I saw this build advertised I decided to join in. I am currently finishing off 3 kits for the Frog Squad GB, so I won't be starting on this for a few weeks, but I will hopefully be building the Supermodel kit of this plane in the C version. Here's the box and sprues -

Bv138

It seems to be a fairly well detailed kit with a bit of cockpit interior and even comes with a beaching trolley, which will make displaying easier. Reviews suggest it is not bad for its age, though there is some comment about the engine cowlings being not quite right. Unlike the Frog kits I am building I think I will keep this one simple. Supermodel claim it can be built as a Type B or Type C . However they seem to have cheated slightly as the difference between the two types seems to be limited to a four bladed centre prop on the C and a 3 bladed one on the B but they only provide the 4 blade version which apparently was retro fitted on the B so the only difference is the markings. They also include the minesweeping version with the big horizontal ring but I think I will give that one a miss.

More as and when I start.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 15

Hi Pete

Built this some years ago now perhaps 25-30 something like that. I can remember it was quite a simple build, I could not find where the exhausts for the three engines went.. they are holes to the top or sides depending on the position of the engines. All are flush with the skin. I still have mine nicely packed away and display it at shows on the odd occasion.  However I have a 1/48 resin one, half built and must get it finished. Good luck with the build.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that heads up - trouble is that there is not a lot of detailed info on this plane, or if there is I can't find it. That might be what the review I mentioned meant with "accuracy problems on the engines". I seem to remember reading somewhere that the company Supermodel was set up by two Italian brothers who were fed up with not being able to find kits of planes they wanted to build, so they decided to have a go at making them for themselves. I think they were eventually taken over - Italeri perhaps?

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

I got this picture from the LEMB a few years ago. The boom mounted engines have exhaust pipes in the locations marked with red arrows. The central engines exhaust pipes are routed down, inside the cowlings and exit on the lower wing. You can see the dirty exhaust streaks.

Just a few days ago, I saw on a forum, this one or somewhere else, someone had asked about the central engine's exhaust outlets. If I find it, I'll post a link.

48624677766_e6d24bf2bd_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

Hi Pete

Built this some years ago now perhaps 25-30 something like that. I can remember it was quite a simple build, I could not find where the exhausts for the three engines went.. they are holes to the top or sides depending on the position of the engines. All are flush with the skin. I still have mine nicely packed away and display it at shows on the odd occasion.  However I have a 1/48 resin one, half built and must get it finished. Good luck with the build.

Simon

Hi Simon

Pop myself and jaime a picture of your part built one. I would like to include it in this GB to allow you an opportunity to finish it off.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PeterB said:

Now there I was thinking it was quite rare - spoilsport!

Hi Peter, when I found all those FROG kits in an undisturbed box, guess what else was in there, and I don't mean a dead spider.

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

I had fond (ie lustful) memories of a Dornier Do 24 in a shop window years ago but could not find one so bought this instead - similar span but 10' shorter so a little bit easier to store. Always fancied a BV 222 Wiking but it is both expensive and far too big -  my H6K Mavis and H8K Emily are bad enough, though admittedly not as bad as my B52D and B36 which are currently gathering dust on top of a wardrobe since I was "persuaded" to take down the perspex display shelf I had mounted over the stairs specifically for them plus the B47 and B58. I am already getting "Flak" over the Frog GB interfering with the garden wall, but thankfully the weather has helped - my wife does not know cement sets even underwater! Hopefully she will remain ignorant of that for another week or two.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 4

On 26/08/2019 at 23:03, PeterB said:

Either this kit or a Do 24?

This kit, the BV 138, "the flying clog".  I had a Do 24 once, but I think my younger brother borrowed it, he would replace them with totally different kits, I think I got a B-24 liberator in return, same number, different aircraft. :shrug:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Earlier, in a reply to a post by Pat I mentioned how I built a perspex display shelf above my staircase to display large models, but my wife persuaded me to take it down. I stumbled across some pics this morning I thought might amuse you.

20180321231315-05

20180321231315-07

I still have it somewhere in the roof and am sorely tempted to put it back if I can soften her up. As you can see it was only just big enough and provided a perfect all round view! Got a bit dusty though which is probably why she did not like it. For the record it was about 90cm wide and 50cm deep - they are big models!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Hi Pete,

The BV 138 is an interesting type and another I didn't know existed. I'm looking forward to seeing it taking shape!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At last, rather later than expected I am in a position to start this build. When the Frog GB started in June I expected to build 2 maybe 3 kits before the deadline in September. After 2 deadline extensions I have now finished my 8th and final kit - these things are addictive! I have an Airfix Banshee about a week away from completion in another build, and may start a Meteor F8 with 6 or so weeks left in that GB, but there should be plenty of time to work steadily at this kit which will be pretty much OOB. Tomorrow I will try and start painting the interior which I guess should be in RLM02. Perhaps I will also make a start on the beaching trolley as that will give me somewhere to put the kit as I work on it. On the face of it, providing the parts actually fit (a big if in some kits) then it should be done in a month or so - we will see - my wife may have other uses for my time!

Pics before too long. At least Pat can't really start nagging until he makes a start on his Perth.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Stick with the clog Pete. Like many others I have it in the Stash. In fact I have two. Earlier this year I had thoughts of building it, but when I went to look for it in all the usual places I couldn't find it. So I bought one on the internet.  Then I got distracted onto my Me262's Two months later I needed a suitcase and inside was the kit. So I have two now. Them suitcases have fooled me more than once. 

• Haha 4