Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV

My next build is Airfix's 1:72 Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV, which I was lucky enough to receive for Mother's Day. 

resized_926c4877-2a2d-4791-bd68-1d0d6214

The box contains a detailed set of instructions, small decal sheet and glass sprue.

resized_66466493-76d4-4d03-a496-80f6eec6

resized_b32454f2-6bc5-4327-973b-47d81272

There are five grey sprues, all with little to no flash and a nice amount of detailing.

resized_f7b64b7c-3d11-4378-854a-fb4094d5

resized_fc7df8b0-cea5-4010-b262-979487ea

I have decided to build the aircraft in the markings of Groups Dr Bombardement 1 (Lorraine), Armed de l'Air, North Africa, 1941. I plan to build it straight as it comes from the box, using Vallejo acrylics (because I prefer airbrushing with them). The kit has been washed and is drying, and I'm looking forward to my next challenge.

• Like 12

What a great mothers day gift Shellie! I remember buying Airfix's first iteration of this. So very many years ago now, back in the late 60's . I love it that the new box art on the re-tool is so similar to that first release, but hey, looks like they have subtly corrected some of the markings?

Airfix Blenheim

Will definitely follow this build.

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michelle,

I always knew I should have been a mother... Wrong career move.

This kit has had rave reviews, so it should be a pleasure to  build. Lucky you.

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2019 at 9:32 PM, Terry1954 said:

What a great mothers day gift Shellie! I remember buying Airfix's first iteration of this. So very many years ago now, back in the late 60's . I love it that the new box art on the re-tool is so similar to that first release, but hey, looks like they have subtly corrected some of the markings?

Airfix Blenheim

Will definitely follow this build.

Terry

My favourite Airfix box art.I recall buying this in Woolworths in the 70's,loved it ever since.

• Like 2

I have begun work on the Blenheim, firstly blasting a coat of primer on some of the sprues, then once dry adding some interior green on top.

resized_2eb3c6f4-f99b-4303-b5ac-95a76e36

I then began building. As you will know if you have built this kit, Airfix want you to add the undercarriage struts to the wheel wells from the beginning. I am building it from the box, so obliged (usually I add the undercarriage once I have airbrushed the top coat to the build). Then once this had dried secured both wing halves together.

resized_224c9b67-8659-4316-8988-1da858ed

Then I started on the rear half of the fuselage, fixing the halves together and leaving them to dry overnight.

resized_bc856a12-20f3-4195-8102-9057e03e

I have since began sanding the seam on the fuselage, my least favourite job! So far so good.

• Like 4

Back to the build today, after an amazing trip yesterday to IWM Duxford, which was full of inspiration for current and future builds.

resized_5c5d51f6-4a4f-4098-a1df-57d3e547

I made sure to get some photographs of the Blenheim's cockpit interior.

Today I have built the frame around the pilots seat, fitted the seat in place with the control column.

resized_d703ddde-115d-43e0-8399-09015d75

resized_70c101f4-4176-4a98-9a53-59bc290e

I then secured the clear parts in both halves of the cockpit section. Moving along slowly, but good so far.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice start, I'll follow along if you don't mind?

Roger

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Can I bagsy a seat please? I have the night fighter release so will be looking for tips 😁

Trevor

Welcome aboard guys!😀

Michelle.

With the interior built and dry, the time came to fix it into the fuselage. The locating lines are great and it fitted in like a glove, so whilst it dried I carefully masked up the windows. The side windows need fixing in place before the cabin halves are joined, and a little word of warning, at the front end of each window panel is a small locating pin, DON'T whatever you do mistake it for flash and chop it off (as I did!), Because without it it is hard to make the windows sit level on the fuselage.

resized_a8b5e72f-dbaf-4f9a-8fcd-e37bd664

resized_db8622a7-35b0-46d9-9b20-72d989f9

Still, with a grimace and a few stern words with myself I managed to get them lined up. The lesson for today, be more vigilant!

• Like 12

With the cockpit secured in the fuselage, I masked up the nose and cockpit top (which was very fiddly) and secured it in place. Once dry the time came for the nose section to meet the rest of the fuselage, a dry fit revealed and almost perfect fit, so I added some glue and pushed it firmly into place.

resized_2859786a-4d0b-4912-9d5e-e1d364e7

resized_4acb87d9-78bd-4a49-a706-91f0e10a

She's beginning to look like a Blenheim!

• Like 13

The overall fit on this kit is generally good, but care still needs to be taken with the nose/wing/fuselage joint.

One thing that Airfix don’t give you is the camera port in the WOp/Ag’s ventral escape hatch, or even the outline of the hatch itself, on the starboard side just aft of the bomb bay.  If you’ve got a copy of the Valiant Wings tome on the Blenheim the scale drawings show it quite clearly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stever219 said:

One thing that Airfix don’t give you is the camera port in the WOp/Ag’s ventral escape hatch, or even the outline of the hatch itself, on the starboard side just aft of the bomb bay.  If you’ve got a copy of the Valiant Wings tome on the Blenheim the scale drawings show it quite clearly.

Is that port also on the Mk.IF?

Ian

It is: I believe it was standard fit on all production Blenheims but might, possibly, have been deleted or plated over on a very few airframes.  Because of its location it’s often difficult or impossible to spot in period photographs but it’s certainly there on the one and only remaining airworthy Mk. If.

Looking very good so far, Shellie! You are getting better and better with each build- can't wait to see the 'Finnished' product! (See what I did there- my favorite Mk IV scheme is one of the Blenheims flown by the Finns! And yes, I know I'm one sick puppy!) :drunk:

Mike

• Haha 1