Anigrand XB-43 What have I done to deserve this?

John R

Sorry for the slight detour/hijack. I do like what you've done with the XB-43. I think you'll beat it at the end. Have you thought about posting this build in the Work In Progress section? That's where most of us search when we're looking for advice on specific projects, and your build would be a big help to anyone who tackles this kit. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Bill

There were better, far more accurate kits of the XB-42/XB-43 available as vacforms once upon a time, from Eagles Talon and Victoria Products. If I wanted to build a model of either, I'd be on the lookout for those. Even scratchbuilding from these old plans would probably result in a more accurate model:

Douglas-XB-42.gif

Edited by Space Ranger

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

. Have you thought about posting this build in the Work In Progress section? That's where most of us search when we're looking for advice on specific projects, and your build would be a big help to anyone who tackles this kit. Just a thought.

I said earlier (post 13) that I should perhaps start a WIP but was afraid that it might stall as everywhere I look there are things wrong. I am reminded of an old story/joke where a traveller asks a local how to get to another place and is told that 'if you are going there I wouldn't start from here'

I think that the above chimes with Mike's comments about the vacforms.

However now I have got this far I think that you are right.

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hsr said:

Not to act dumb (it comes natuarally) but could you be more specific? I found this thread https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/douglas-xb-42-mixmaster-and-xb-43-jetmaster.8699/ and this one https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/douglas-xb-42-xb-43.32014/ and while the first has a 3 view drawing neither seems to have a dimensioned one.

Thanks

Howard

See if this works

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/douglas-xb-42-mixmaster-and-xb-43-jetmaster.8699/page-3#lg=thread-8699&slide=10

John

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Dear, now look what's happened!

p?i=9cd460eb9b3159ca0218af977434e67b

The more I looked the more I found wrong and the latest was the forward fuselage. I thought that the nose was too blunt and this combined with my feeling that the fuselage was too narrrow and that the wing dihedral and aerofoil were wrong led me to saw the whole thing up and see if I could put it back together in some sort of vaguely correct shape. This is reminding me of a comment made about my Avro Arrow when I went through a similar process several years ago - 'It looks af if you used the kit as rough cut blanks for a scratch build'

You can now see why I was reluctant to start a WIP. The only progress has been finding more things wrong. Do not watch this space - if it's like my other projects it could take years.

John

• Sad 1