Wurger (Orbital hunter killer)

And welcome to another of my finished scratchbuilds. This one based on the upper half of a Star Wars Slave One. (The lower half became a Hover Tank).

It seems that I only started this one last month. So for me that's pretty fast work. Wurger was applied to the Fw190, the Butcher bird.

This one would be lunar based and piggyback to Earth orbit on a Sternail. There it would disable enemy craft and satellites and tow the remains back for salvage.

Link to a Sternail picture. I built this one probably ten years ago. http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag398/petergsoden/Sternail05_zpse8dd4b0d.jpg?t=1406042025

There is a build thread for the Wurger here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058298-orbital-hunter-killer/cQLMUH7.jpg

Weapons and meteorite shields in place and ready for action. I added a small calibre solid shot gun to the nose piece.

k8lKLDW.jpg

I had the idea to use a white paper background to see if that made things clearer for you. Scale is 1/32nd BTW, the pilot is ex Airfix Porsche 917.

StHnQ1n.jpg

I only have a small simple camera so close up shots can be a problem. Rocket tubes from a 1/32nd MBB Bo105.

o89ujRW.jpg

Rear end steering thrusters. They probably rotate. That shield is a rubdown from an ancient Do17 kit.

f8mahRT.jpg

If you look carefully to the right you may see an Easter egg. There's a tiny Panzer in there.

TJTIdoQ.jpg

The missile tube mountings are mostly made up from bits of Aircraft undercarriage.

ZxCkuKw.jpg

The business end of the salvage crane/grabber (Think Ripley's power loader in Aliens) The brown pads are magnetic (but were F-18 brake units)

bzgRBSo.jpg

The rounded bits were ancient B-17 ball turret, they now hold Zeon lander struts. I'm still not sure why but I like them there. The thruster bell was part of a ball point pen.

54RT5wG.jpg

Orbital debris can ruin your paint job, and extra shields will help to protect you. Bits of self adhesive silver tape in use here.

On the P-38 nose here we have more steering thrusters.

faLceTP.jpg

Decals are mostly Tamiya P-47. I couldn't resist using the silhouette and script. I think the word Republic fits in with Kreiger and Star Wars?

zwTJIOD.jpg

The comms dish was a Slave One piece. Now (modified) it sits underneath mounted on an Airfix Bloodhound cradle.

aXuMjRq.jpg

And here we are deployed. 

RkYknE5.jpg

The other side of the crane. Slightly out of focus. Sorry.

OpfkpIG.jpg

I bought a couple of cheap built Kibri crane model kits online and dismantled them. The other jib will be used later.

3ukVeQf.jpg

I nearly forgot this bit. A radar bar? These are seen on lots of kreiger stuff. I used part of an ancient Airfix Hercules Aileron, a bit of sprue and some filler.

vOrBdgh.jpg

And finally, The two models and what they came from. The Slave One kit was bought online part built so no great loss. 

I saved all the bits of it I didn't use, then found another part built one so I've combined what I have to make up a complete kit.

To sum up, I started the tank in early May, I finished the Orbiter today, So that's four Months of fun modelling for just over twenty quid!

And I still have a complete Slave One to sell. Win win I think. Next up is yet another scratchbuild, A Kreiger Fledermaus this time.

If anyone has one and can send pictures/measurements etc I would be very grateful.

Any questions, comments etc are very welcome.

Thanks for looking, Pete

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

You've been doing that 'having fun' thing again haven't you. 

As per usual, I've no idea what it is, but it looks damn spiffing all the same.

Looking forward to the next, eerrmm... thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

You've been doing that 'having fun' thing again haven't you

I'm having as much as I can before 'they' figure out a way to tax it!

The next one should be a doozy! (Whatever that means?)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm having as much as I can before 'they' figure out a way to tax it!

The next one should be a doozy! (Whatever that means?)

Of course when I said 'thing' I really meant 'fabulous creation' – I have trouble with my worms occasionally.

Doozy is obviously the collective noun for a herd of dozes, i.e. “I think I will need a doozy of naps today”.

Happy to help.

• Haha 1

Thanks very much for the good comments, Guys. 

And thanks too from the 'Make it up as you go along' school of modelling.

How much longer can the spares boxes hold out? Only time will tell.

Regards, Pete

I think that's turned out even better then the hover tank Pete. The framing on the canopy really  gives it a MaK look, and hides the Slave 1 origins at the same time. Love the blue sections in the paint scheme too.

Andy:cat:

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 7:38 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Thanks very much for the good comments, Guys. 

And thanks too from the 'Make it up as you go along' school of modelling.

How much longer can the spares boxes hold out? Only time will tell.

Regards, Pete

Nice one Pete, I much prefer this type of scifi modelling to the Star Trek/Star Wars kit assembly type, looking forward to seeing the next one.

• Thanks 1