Canadair CP-107 Argus conversion set

tnuag

We supplied sufficient kits to fill all back orders at that time and a further batch of kits are currently being packed. The delay was because I was not happy with some of the resin parts supplied and had them remade.

So the second and final batch will be sent shortly.

The topic title was set over 2 years ago and if other subjects have  come along I am happy to receive suggestions - long may it continue.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, aukebruins said:

Other suggestions:

Fokker 70 and 100

Saab 340 and Scandia

Grumman G-159

Convair 240, 340, 440

Convair 880 and 990

Martin 440

Would be great !

Auke

Some great suggestions there, and I also like @71chally's Trident idea!

Well done @tnuag for giving us the ability to produce the Argus.

Terry

On 2/23/2020 at 9:35 AM, AMB said:

If it was in 1/144th scale for use with the Roden Britannia kit, all at half the cost, you would sell bucket loads!

I was about to suggest that also then I saw AMB's suggestion! Could that be a possibility? I have a small 1/144 stash of maritime patrol aircraft (Shackletons, Orions, Neptunes) and an Argus or two would be the icing on the cake!

Terry

11 hours ago, tnuag said:

Because it is half the size does not mean it is half the price - the only thing which reduces is the quantity of material used. The labour element is largely the same

...but you wouldn't need to buy a £50 Mach2 1/72 Britannia kit, only a Roden 1/144th Britannia kit at half the price, so there is the modeller's saving already!!!

Agreed, but if it were a complete kit there is nothing else to buy.

It is always uncertain when matching parts to a donor kit, with some kits being better than others.

I do prefer doing a complete model and am currently developing a test model of a large aircraft to try a complete 3D printed kit.

On 10/22/2020 at 6:47 AM, tnuag said:

Agreed, but if it were a complete kit there is nothing else to buy.

It is always uncertain when matching parts to a donor kit, with some kits being better than others.

I do prefer doing a complete model and am currently developing a test model of a large aircraft to try a complete 3D printed kit.

Agreed!  So why produce expensive resin parts to convert an already expensive MACH2 Britannia, when you could have produced a complete 1/144th Argus kit??

Because I work in 1:72 and the arrival of the Mach 2 Britannia prompted the Argus conversion, together with the Yukon and CL-44 conversions.

I may do a 1:144 kit at some stage, but there are lots of other aircraft and GSE which are on my list. The arrival of MSLA 3D printing has also given me a whole new range of possibilities.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 9:27 PM, tnuag said:

Looking at the suggestions again, the Convair 440 is already available in 1:72.

You're right, but what I mean is a real CV-440 and not the thing that is available at this moment.

What is wrong with the present CV440 model? Incidentally the Ambassador and Trident are on my list - when they arrive depends on how successful the 3D printing trials are.

Edited by tnuag
additional information added.
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 1:01 PM, Terry1954 said:

I was about to suggest that also then I saw AMB's suggestion! Could that be a possibility? I have a small 1/144 stash of maritime patrol aircraft (Shackletons, Orions, Neptunes) and an Argus or two would be the icing on the cake!

Terry

In 1/144 Welshmodels did a complete resin kit a few years ago:

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/MT23.html

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/MT24.html

The site says it is "temporarily sold out" though I don't know when it will be available again, maybe better ask the owner if you are interested.

• Thanks 1

If you are looking for a new project (hint, hint), would you consider a 1/48 conversion set for a (radial engine) Lancaster Mk II with a bulged bomb bay?  Lots of Tamiya kits out there to convert!

Colin

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 12:50 PM, tnuag said:

THE END OF THE LINE

To complete the story, we delivered the final batch of Argus conversions to Hannants on Tuesday of this week, 17 November, 2020..

Production is now complete.

Wow! Whew! The end of the line indeed, I just purchased the last conversion set from the big H. I had been checking from time to time, but got wrapped up in Arma Hurricanes and Zvezda C-130’s. I figured they would go fairly quickly but I almost missed out! I look forward to placing this beside my CC-130B and E. From what I have read so far, I won’t be disappointed, just have to get my 36 grit on my grinder for the Mach2 Britannia. Come morning I am going to have some explaining to do....;)

Take care and stay safe 

Best regards 

Jeff :)

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Biggu said:

FWIW, I would love to see a good 1/72 L188 Electra conversion, for an air tanker with Air Spray decals....  that would be cool, lots of air lines used the L 188 over the years....

Agreed, they do look sharp in civilian liveries, considering the current greyout found everywhere. I had a couple of flights on Pacific Western Electra’s back in the early 70’s while in air cadets. This ex PWA Electra in US register, might have been one of them. They also operated a fuel tanker as well, it was overall NMF with the fin logo. We locals often referred to PWA as “Piggly Wiggly”.

D2FE07CA-E68F-4628-99C5-8CF9E7922873

Cheers

Jeff :)

• Like 2